Decisions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Hi All! Just checking in from sunny Darwin. My last day of holidays, we fly back home tomorrow.

Tho, home may not be home for much longer. My dad owns a pub in the Northern Territory, about 570km south of Darwin, we have just been there for a few days to visit. Dad has asked DH & myself to come and take over running the pub, while he goes on extended (read permanant!) holidays.

DH & myself have very comfortable, 5-day-a-week, permanant jobs back home, but taking over the pub, even for a year or 2, is an awesome opportunity. We are currently in deep discussions, trying to decide if this is something that we want to take on.

We will go from having easy 8 hours a day, 5 days a week jobs to having not so easy, sometimes downright horrible, 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week jobs. BUT, with nowhere to go and nothing to spend money on, an awesome savings opportunity. It could put us in a very VERY good financial situation in a couple of years.

Basically, the decision comes down to this: Do we want to stay where we are, where life is easy, and just coast along for the rest of our lives, or do we take a chance, work our butts off for a couple of years, then see where we are with it?

This is the website, have a look around!
http://www.dalywaterspub.com

I don't know how old you are but I am at the point in my life that I can look back and wish I had done this or done that. My DH is the same way. We always talk about how we should have just went ahead and done it. I would say go for it what do you have to lose? Take a walk on the wild side. If you don't you will always wonder what if.........

Sonja

I know Lovehound, it's terrible!! :lol: You know, the worst part of it for me is that Dad bought the pub just as I met DH. Dad asked me to come back to the NT and work with him way back in 2000, but I chose to wait and see how DH & I worked out first. I have never regretted that decision, it was the best one I have ever made. But, when DH asks if I want to go, my response now is yes, I've been waiting 9 years to go :shock: But, I'm trying to be really careful not to push him into making a decision just to make me happy. It has to be something he wants to do as much as me.

Sonja, I agree with you, but DH is not so sure. I'm a big believer in the fact that if you want work, you will find work, and that if it doesn't work out at the pub then something else will come along.

DH on the other hand is one of those rare people these days that is still in the first job he ever got. He hasn't had to look for work since he was a teenager, and the thought of being out of work scares the heck out of him :lol:

We're currently waiting on Dad to give us some firm info in writing about how he would like this all to work. Because it is family, the fall-out of any kind of misunderstanding is potentially worse - familys have life-long feuds over this kind of thing...

Once DH & I get back to work, we are both going to investigate if our respective employers will allow us any kind of extended leave without pay. If they will, then that will make the decision a whole lot easier - we can go over for a few months, let Dad have a break & deal with a few things that he needs to and then we can all decide if this is an arrangement that we want to continue.

I honestly am a little excited about the whole thing. It will be a really great challenge and learning experience for DH & I.

Hi Becky

You certainly have a major decision to make there.

The hotel reminds me of the Ettamogah Pub (hope I spelt it right) the replica in NSW that I visited some time ago especially inside.

Cheers

Place looks great. Makes me want to take a walk about............or rather an air conditioned drive about. :lol: :lol:

Whew, tough decision to make. Good luck with which ever way you choose.

Digit

Back