Decision is Made :-(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

The very hard decision has been made, I am ending my business after 11 years. What Covid did not do my Doc's diagnosis finished. My doctor has informed me my heart is not going to take the strain of doing the markets anymore. Sadly, all the stress of fighting my sister, which I finally did win and settle did not help the situation either, so now I will turn to taking care of myself. Nonischemic Cardiomyopathy and LBBB is the diagnosis. On top of that my hubby need disk fusion, we are just too old for this. Just carrying heaving buckets is now affecting my breathing along with all my stairs. Staircases into my house and in my house.

Now to figure out what to do with my huge amount of supplies. This is a daunting task and saddens me. I will mention I have a pretty large stash of DB. Will be keeping some not all. If anyone is in the LA or Orange County area I have an unopened 5-gallon bucket of CO will let go for $35 and an unopened 5-gallon bucket of PKO for $40. Also a small drum of Neem oil for $20 which is past expiration but is perfectly good. It will have to be picked up as I am not going to try to ship and do not feel like breaking it down. There are also 5lbs of Red Ginger Saffron FO for $25 from Candle Science. This is their old formula and it smells and soaps wonderful. As the year progresses I will be posting more.

I Guess the happy part is now I will have some racks free for Lizzy tanks if I ever get Day Gecko babies. :)

Man. That is hard to take.
Soap in smaller quantities and pace yourself in all things.
Take care of you and hubby.
I know you will miss the challenge of the shows but I would rather have you around here for years to come. I'm selfish that way.

Accept treatment and follow a good daily plan. Don't let anybody P!!s you off - they are not worth it and the angry is not good for your heart or breathing.
If I were closer I would do more. Prayers are offered up for you.
Steve

Last edited:
All I can do is wish you peace. I'm very sorry to hear you have to shut down your soap making business. You're one of those soapers I admire and look up to. I hope you'll find love and joy in other things (among maybe some recreational soap making and forum hopping?)

Sorry to hear this but your health is the most important thing. Maybe take some time off and see how things are in a few years time. It's difficult times at the moment with COVID and all the risks involved. Hope you rest, and feel well within yourself soon

I'm so sorry Carolyn, but I know you carefully made your decision and are doing what is best for you. I always look forward to seeing you here, and I am glad you will still be making soap - just in a smaller way and for fun. Take care of yourself and your hubby.

Best of luck with your plans of your future. My hubby and I had to make the same decisions 16 years ago and due to the one we made (early retirement) we are still alive and kicking. I am certain that taking stress out of his life by retiring is the reason he is still here with me. I wish I were close enough to buy your DB as I salivated over it the last time you sold some. I'd be there in a minute. I wish you well...keeping soaping as a hobby will also keep you sane...am so glad that we will be hearing from you in your retirement.

I'm so sorry to hear of what is going on for you. Sounds like you have made a hard but good decision to take care of your self and hubby. I hope all goes well for you both.

Carolyn, I will say what everyone else has said, but it cannot be said too much. Take good care of yourself and just let it go. I'm glad you will still be around here!

Back