Deciding on Which Mold to Buy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out which is a better/smarter buy. I've been using a cardboard box as a soap mold and while that has worked fine, I'm tired of the bars having to be the shape they are. I'm looking to buy a small silicone lined wooden loaf mold, and I'm back and forth between the 2lb Basic Mold from Nurture Soap, or one of these all inclusive sets from amazon that comes with cutters and stuff. Would I be better off with buy from Nurture since they seem more reliable? Or does the amount of extras I get with the amazon set justify it? Do you think the amazon set just looks like junk?

Here's the two I'm talking about:
2 lb Basic Mold

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHNQVV9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1ZYFV1UWHDW7B&psc=1

I think it really depends on what you want, and how you soap.

My first mold purchase (as opposed to repurposing another item as a mold) was an Amazon mold that had many of the same accessories. The molds are fine - not top quality, but definitely decent. I wouldn't say the accessories are junk per se, but I personally can't use those cutters - my bars end up wonky no matter what I do.

I have two Nurture molds: one T&S and one small slab. They are definitely high quality, and will probably outlast me. I love them and do prefer working with them. However, for the same price, you can get a set of two of the Amazon molds without all the accessories. I personally am not super fond of the short and wide bar shape, although that shape is easier to use when making many designs.

Hopefully that gives you some things to think about as to what works best for your soaping style. :)

I have neither, so cannot attest to a quality comparison. However, I'd base my decision on whether or not you are already using another cutter. IF you have a satisfactory cutter already, I'd go with the Nurture mold because Nurture is a reliable company and most Nurture Mold owners speak highly of the craftsmanship of their molds.

I have neither, so cannot attest to a quality comparison. However, I'd base my decision on whether or not you are already using another cutter. IF you have a satisfactory cutter already, I'd go with the Nurture mold because Nurture is a reliable company and most Nurture Mold owners speak highly of the craftsmanship of their molds.
I do not have a cutter. That is part of the reason the amazon mold appeals to me. I especially like that it comes with the wire and the chopper options since I'm unclear on which I will like more. But I certainly don't want to spend money on something that is garbage.

You could buy or use an already owned pastry cutter/bench scraper like this:
1634588940169.png

I've got 3 of them (one for travel, one for soap and one for food use.)

They can be purchased in dollar stores and second hand stores, at a minimal cost. Of course you can spend much more for one if desired, but I have been perfectly happy with the lower priced ones. They make a straight cut, far better than using a kitchen knife (the wedge shape of the cutting blade is problematic when cutting soap with a knife designed for cutting meat.)

I have even see crinkle cutters at second hand stores, but not nearly as often as the straight-edge ones.

Just suggesting an alternative option if you want to go with the Nurture mold.

Some folks have no problem using the style of cutter that is shown in the listing you are considering. For years, I used an old pastry cutter like Earlene suggested above. This was before anyone ever started selling them for soap; I just happened to spot it in my kitchen drawer and figured I'd be much safer using that than a big knife. I still occasionally use it for trimming soap edges.

The issue for me is that if there is any room for play in the cutter setup, my bars will not be straight. In other words, I ended up with a lot of trapezoidal soap bars using a cutter set like the one you are considering. Eventually I had to upgrade because I just couldn't stand the uneven bars. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started with the Nurture molds, and saved my money to get a nice single-bar or multi-bar cutter.

But if you are better at cutting straight lines, or if you don't care about your soap being symmetrical (many don't, and that's totally fine), then going with the set you are considering should be just fine.

I can't seem to figure out which is a better/smarter buy. I've been using a cardboard box as a soap mold and while that has worked fine, I'm tired of the bars having to be the shape they are. I'm looking to buy a small silicone lined wooden loaf mold, and I'm back and forth between the 2lb Basic Mold from Nurture Soap, or one of these all inclusive sets from amazon that comes with cutters and stuff. Would I be better off with buy from Nurture since they seem more reliable? Or does the amount of extras I get with the amazon set justify it? Do you think the amazon set just looks like junk?

2 lb Basic Mold

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHNQVV9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1ZYFV1UWHDW7B&psc=1
My vote is the nurture soap 2lb loaf. I own one & it’s excellent. Don’t own an Amazon one but reading reviews, some are cheaply made. You’ll love the 2lb from Nurture Soap! I already own a crinkle cutter & use it to cut, that or a big kitchen knife 🔪

It depends on how much soap you are planning on making. Are you a hobbiest who is going to make soap once a week for family and friends or are you looking into making soap to sell. When I first started out...I bought a kit from Brambleberry that came with a 10" Silicone Loaf. To cut, I bought a cheese slicer and glued a dowel along one edge.

2 lb Basic Mold

I’ve been using 4 of those Amazon molds for 8 years and absolutely love them! They’ve help up very well and am passing them on to a new soaper. One caveat is that I either clip or tape the middle section of the silicone wall to the wood to ensure it doesn’t sag when I don’t fill the mold up all the way. So easy to unmold because the silicone can turn inside out. But like all silicone…watch those corners if you unmold too soon.

I bought a cheese slicer and was having issues with the bar staying still on the board. I don't know why I didn't think of gluing something to the edge. Thanks for mentioning this.

You'll need to sand off the finish off the board where the dowel is going to go and you'll need to sand the dowel flat. And it doesn't have to be a dowel...a thin piece of scrap wood would work as well...I just happened to be standing next to them in Home Depot when I thought of the idea. And strong carpenter glue (both sides)...make sure you clamp it or set something heavy on it and let it dry for a couple of days.

Hi, I love the Brambleberry 5 pound Loaf molds. I liked the old silicone liner better than the new ones. Anyone know of a similar thin liner that could be used in the Brambleberry mold?

Latest posts

Back