December Un-Challenge - Retry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is from a company in India (as far as I can trust the label), and it says “groundnut oil”, that is what is also known as peanuts in other parts of the world. Now, non-EU products sold in the EU have to have an importer on them, in this case a company in Poland. They (assumedly) put that extra sticker on that (in mediocre German) says “mustard oil” instead.
For peanut oil, its colour is in fact quite intense, maybe too intense? (but I haven't seen all varieties of peanut oil in the world) The smell and taste, though, are unambiguous: there is at least some mustard oil in there.

Peanut oil/groundnut oil that we get in India does have this colour so colour is no indicator of the type of oil. EU regulations are very rigid so I really doubt if mustard oil could have been sent instead of groundnut oil. Either mustard oil has been mislabeled as groundnut oil or other way round.

So, I have done my retry challenge and, much to my amusement and frustration, it was half a success and half a fail! I need to work on this one haha.

So this is the soap that I wanted to recreate, a beautiful Christmas soap by ellbin_soap:
8e2fd2eec045802b385b3e19248d0865.jpg

This is my third attempt, so technically a re-retry - I'm really happy with the tree scraper as it came out very clear. Scrapers are quickly becoming my favorite tool. But the pink part was a huge delusion as it was supposed to be a gradient but as you can see has no gradient at all, and I can't understand what those white-ish areas and halos are. I will post another thread to ask for some advice.
At least the tree came out well so that's the success in my book 😂
IMG_20211208_211047859.jpg IMG_20211208_211056630.jpg IMG_20211208_211203105.jpg

This was my first attempt which prompted my first post here on the forum (much panic for this one!), around one year ago:
IMG_20201108_115640351.jpg

My second attempt, one week later the first one, thanks to the kind suggestions to my first forum post mentioned above:
Screenshot_20211223-233722~2.png

Last edited:
But the pink part was a huge delusion as it was supposed to be a gradient but as you can see has no gradient at all, and I can't understand what those white-ish areas and halos are. I will post another thread to ask for some advice.
That ombré is super fine and tedious. Someone has put an obscene amount of patience into them. The whitish halo blobs are puzzling me as well – column embeds? Mini drop? Dunno.

I love how your tree came out! Having such sharp edges stable and without bubbles is far from easy! The pink, oh well. You have some pretty glycerin rivers there (unintentional I guess), that I would have had good use for in my “Drought” soap 😅. There, I had also an ombré gone wrong with glycerin river side-effects doing things that I hadn't foreseen (those dark, waxy lines between layers are really weird).

My own submission will have to wait until after the holidays… :rolleyes:

That ombré is super fine and tedious. Someone has put an obscene amount of patience into them. The whitish halo blobs are puzzling me as well – column embeds? Mini drop? Dunno.
I know, those whitish halo blobs keep me scratching my head. I can only think that the ombre was done from the top right corner, so if the white blobs are mini swirl or column embeds I can't figure out the logistics of it as it would need to be done from a different angle I guess? Unless there's another way to do the ombre. I'm really not sure. I thought they could be just white batter at really thick trace but they are holding the round shape so well.

The pink, oh well. You have some pretty glycerin rivers there (unintentional I guess), that I would have had good use for in my “Drought” soap 😅. There, I had also an ombré gone wrong with glycerin river side-effects doing things that I hadn't foreseen (those dark, waxy lines between layers are really weird).
So this is what glycerin rivers look like! Thank you. I'm going to have a search on the forum for this one.

Beautiful soap @melonpan!
On the original photo it looks to me like they painted those little white spots on later (they're going over the tree). The larger white spots are a mystery to me too... I think you did an amazing job recreating such an intricate soap. Your hard work and perseverance paid off!

1. ResolvableOwl - Time to restock mustard oil and revisit butterflies! 🦋
2. I enjoy these UNchallenged. (aka The_Phoenix)
3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)
4. linne1gi - I'm in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!
7. Basil- I think this is my type of challenge! I’ve been wanting to get the colors right for ‘sunset at the casbah’ !
8. Anstarx - Haven't soap in a while, time to visit an old design.
9. Amy78130- love this!!
10. Ladka - time for a second try at lollipop swirl soap
11. CreativeWeirdo - SCIENCE!!!

I've been planning to do this/these soaps for a while now and actually received my desired fragrance oil two days before this thread was posted. I TRIED doing the Travel Soap Challenge from October 2018 combined with the Discolouring Fragrance Oil challenge from September 2015. This was my first time working with a fragrance oil that discolours. I used Santa's Pipe fragrance oil from Candora Soaps, which is supposed to discolour to a light brown. Maybe I didn't use enough (I used 4%) or maybe I haven't waited enough (48 hours), but it is still pretty white. I didn't use any added colourant. I used a new mold, mini coffee beans from Candora Soaps. I tried using a dropper/pipette to fill them, but I think I stick blended too long and it ended up setting rather fast and I eventually had trouble sucking the batter into the dropper. All in all, I had a lot of fun and I learned a lot! Not bad for a big night of firsts!

1640810734238.png

I've been planning to do this/these soaps for a while now and actually received my desired fragrance oil two days before this thread was posted. I TRIED doing the Travel Soap Challenge from October 2018 combined with the Discolouring Fragrance Oil challenge from September 2015. This was my first time working with a fragrance oil that discolours. I used Santa's Pipe fragrance oil from Candora Soaps, which is supposed to discolour to a light brown. Maybe I didn't use enough (I used 4%) or maybe I haven't waited enough (48 hours), but it is still pretty white. I didn't use any added colourant. I used a new mold, mini coffee beans from Candora Soaps. I tried using a dropper/pipette to fill them, but I think I stick blended too long and it ended up setting rather fast and I eventually had trouble sucking the batter into the dropper. All in all, I had a lot of fun and I learned a lot! Not bad for a big night of firsts!

View attachment 63456
Those are cute!!! They may still turn brown. I used Santa’s Pipe for a Christmas soap and it eventually turned a light brown

1. ResolvableOwl - Time to restock mustard oil and revisit butterflies! 🦋
2. I enjoy these UNchallenged. (aka The_Phoenix)
3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)
4. linne1gi - I'm in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!
7. Basil- I think this is my type of challenge! I’ve been wanting to get the colors right for ‘sunset at the casbah’ !
8. Anstarx - Haven't soap in a while, time to visit an old design.
9. Amy78130- love this!!
10. Ladka - time for a second try at lollipop swirl soap
11. CreativeWeirdo - SCIENCE!!!
12. Mobjack - I have soap in the mold. I’m trying to get past “Gromwell makes me grouchy”

@szaza
Where is the official application form for some injury time? 🥺 I'm aiming for tomorrow evening to spread the butterfly wings, but I can't promise it. Unmoulding would happen a few days into the new year anyway.

The butterfly has pupated!
Now it's no longer upon me and my brilliant time management skills, when it's eventually time to admire this soap – but solely a thing for the oils and the lye to figure out all by themselves.

I copied my October challenge entry to the iota (same amounts, same swirl, same recipe with 75% mustard oil – from the same brand like the first time, not that dubious “groundnut” oil). I only got a bit more modest with colours, and used only one of each green (hydrated chromium oxide) and brown (caput mortuum) pigments:
butterfly2_batters.jpg

My masterpiece of a swirl direction doodle…
butterfly2_design.jpg
…with the pour pattern for the coloured layers modified from the findings of the first try. I had aimed for a much thicker trace this time. How convenient that my batter, out of nothing, started to thicken, heat up, and accelerate just from gentle stirring! Was it that it feared I would torment it with a SB soon? So once again no SBing 😒 (but also no SB cleaning afterwards 😏), and very manageable waiting times. I don't know what was different than last time. The only definitely varied ingredient was the castor oil from a new supplier.

Anyway, I was pretty happy how the pour and swirl went. Can't wait for it to be ready to be cut open! I'll have to put you (and me) off until next year…

Last edited:
I’m here to say that gromwell still makes me grouchy. The first few times I used gromwell, my infusion was too weak. The next time it turned kind of a brownish reddish lavender in a gradient soap that I think had brine in it. This time it’s a brownish pink. The alkanet, which usually works for me, went brownish dark pink, which makes me think the soap got too hot. The rhubarb and annatto are both fine and brightened up a little with gelling as you can see in a comparison with little soaps in the front that did not gel. The alkanet in the middle layer of the little soap on the right looks great, but the gromwell on the bottom is grey. I’m happy with the batch despite the color morphing. The lavender citrus eo blend smells good.

40C97FC8-E7ED-4594-8E69-1D4A8F3C68A4.jpeg

Butterfly time!

butterfly_retry_collage.jpg

The mustard ZNSC was just ready to unmould now, after five days sitting in the mould. Still quite soft, so it was easy to cut, but also somewhat slippery, and I'm not proud of the (absence of) right angles on these bars 🤫.

I again used about the same amounts of pigment for each colour, but the amount of coloured batter was much greater now, so that the colour depth wasn't just as high as in the first run (good to avoid stains from the suds, but also the reason why I decided to not show the two batches next to each other).

My main issue with the swirl was that the colours spread over the whole width of the mould, so that it looks like curves stripes, rather than blobby like a butterfly body.
This time, I did three things to counteract this: 1. wait for thicker trace, 2. use more coloured/less background batter, and 3. (don't let @Zing know this) alternating wall pour: after I had poured about half of the coloured batter, I poured yellow from the opposite side of the mould, to push the batter back towards the side along which I had originally poured it. This all worked well, but I overdid no. 2., hence the swirls don't look as nimble and elegant as in the first run.

I like the way how the butterfly hanger swirl itself came out, especially in the middle cut (large photo, left), where I originally hadn't intended to cut at all (but it was worth it, IMHO! I got an accidental extra band of green at the bottom!). The pattern might have tolerated much more swirling, or maybe a second yellow band amidst the colours; but I'll approach this technique step by step.
For now I'm happy with my butterflies! I do have one bar with opposite side colourations (ventral/dorsal), the others are pretty as well, and I don't have to resort to the trimmings for beautiful swirl patterns.

One weird thing to notice about the “old” soap (75 days in, bottom right photo): look at this yellow/white! 😲 When the soap was about half as old as it is now, I had posted how the yellow of the soaps looked under UV light. Turns out: this UV was prophetic about the really peculiar thingies to happen with the yellow since then. The areas that lightened up under UV light, have now completely lost their yellow colour, also under visible light! Without doubt this is connected to the iron oxide pigments, and their reaction with whatever lends mustard and/or red palm oil its colour. The brown in the new soap is once again iron oxide based (caput mortuum), so the next weeks & months will show how reproducible this is.

Latest posts

Back