December Un-Challenge - Retry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please help! I’m so confused about the concept of an un-challenge. Would we go back to one of the previous challenges and try to do better? If so, do we need to post a picture of our previous challenge and now put it alongside the new soap? Would we revisit our soap fails and post pictures of them next to our new work? Would we simply choose something we would like to try that looks really challenging and use that entry? I cleaned out most of my soap room and want to go into high soapmaking mode, so this would be a good time to accommodate one of the above projects. What are other people going to do?

Think of it not so much as a challenge, as a prompt to hopefully inspire you. This is a chance to try something again if it didn't work out as well as you wanted the first time.

1. ResolvableOwl - Time to restock mustard oil and revisit butterflies! 🦋
2. I enjoy these UNchallenged. (aka The_Phoenix)
3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)
4. linne1gi - I'm in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!
7. Basil- I think this is my type of challenge! I’ve been wanting to get the colors right for ‘sunset at the casbah’ !
8. Anstarx - Haven't soap in a while, time to visit an old design.

3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)
4. linne1gi - I'm in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!
7. Basil- I think this is my type of challenge! I’ve been wanting to get the colors right for ‘sunset at the casbah’ !
9. Amy78130- love this!!

4. linne1gi - I'm in!
9. Amy78130- love this!!
10. Ladka - time for a second try at lollipop swirl soap

🤬

What would you expect, is in a bottle that says “groundnut oil”?

not_groundnut.jpg

„Senföl/kachi ghani“ = mustard oil!

I had already wondered that it has some horseradish smell to it, that I wouldn't expect from peanuts. Ohh am I glad that at least I noticed it before I made soap with it – SAP of mustard oil is lower than peanut oil, so chances are that the soap would have ended up lye-heavy.
That's a gross mis-labeling, I'll probably go back to the shop and request clarification. I don't care so much about the few € (I might well imagine the shop owners don't know this fraud by themselves), but the fact that this company sells an oil as “edible” that, by EU legislation, isn't (plus, under a wrong name), is very questionable.
And I'm not speaking of the culinary consequences. Mustard oil can lend an interesting taste accent, but I treat it as a condiment rather than a main ingredient.

That means that, for now, I have ten times the amount of mustard oil to my disposal than I need for my butterfly swirl. 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🤪😵

🤬

What would you expect, is in a bottle that says “groundnut oil”?

View attachment 63225

„Senföl/kachi ghani“ = mustard oil!

I had already wondered that it has some horseradish smell to it, that I wouldn't expect from peanuts. Ohh am I glad that at least I noticed it before I made soap with it – SAP of mustard oil is lower than peanut oil, so chances are that the soap would have ended up lye-heavy.
That's a gross mis-labeling, I'll probably go back to the shop and request clarification. I don't care so much about the few € (I might well imagine the shop owners don't know this fraud by themselves), but the fact that this company sells an oil as “edible” that, by EU legislation, isn't (plus, under a wrong name), is very questionable.
And I'm not speaking of the culinary consequences. Mustard oil can lend an interesting taste accent, but I treat it as a condiment rather than a main ingredient.

That means that, for now, I have ten times the amount of mustard oil to my disposal than I need for my butterfly swirl. 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🤪😵
I can’t tell from the picture. Is it ground nut oil? And do you know what nut?

So I have been trying to replicate a “Pointy Layers” soap. I have watched the technique done by Teri of Tree Marie Soapworks so many times! Here’s some of my tries.
This one is the closest, and I almost got it right. I figured I would post now, since my kids are arriving soon and I will have a full house for the next 10 days or so.

Attachments

• 8CEE7CCE-453B-424F-BF75-CB16AAAD1DAF.jpeg
    8CEE7CCE-453B-424F-BF75-CB16AAAD1DAF.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 22
  • BF9A142C-FE24-4170-AE6F-5DB3DD2F08B0.jpeg
    BF9A142C-FE24-4170-AE6F-5DB3DD2F08B0.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
It is from a company in India (as far as I can trust the label), and it says “groundnut oil”, that is what is also known as peanuts in other parts of the world. Now, non-EU products sold in the EU have to have an importer on them, in this case a company in Poland. They (assumedly) put that extra sticker on that (in mediocre German) says “mustard oil” instead.
For peanut oil, its colour is in fact quite intense, maybe too intense? (but I haven't seen all varieties of peanut oil in the world) The smell and taste, though, are unambiguous: there is at least some mustard oil in there.

It is from a company in India (as far as I can trust the label), and it says “groundnut oil”, that is what is also known as peanuts in other parts of the world. Now, non-EU products sold in the EU have to have an importer on them, in this case a company in Poland. They (assumedly) put that extra sticker on that (in mediocre German) says “mustard oil” instead.
For peanut oil, its colour is in fact quite intense, maybe too intense? (but I haven't seen all varieties of peanut oil in the world) The smell and taste, though, are unambiguous: there is at least some mustard oil in there.
Thanks for the reply.

Back