December Un-Challenge - Retry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Welcome to the SMF December 2021 Un-Challenge – Retry

Welcome to the SMF December 2021 Un-Challenge and thanks to @Johnez for the idea 😊

If you’ve ever tried a soaping technique that didn’t quite turn out the way you wanted and you decided you’re going to retry it ‘someday’… this is the time! This Un-Challenge is meant to be that little bit of encouragement that you needed to try again.

1. Any SMF member may participate in this Un-Challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts.
2. The retry soap must be made after posting of the Un-Challenge.
3. Make and post pictures of as many soaps as you would like. There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote, so post pictures of your creations here at any time. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes. If you care to share "before" pictures of your first attempt(s), that would be awesome!
4. If your design is inspired by another maker, please give them credit.
5. A sign up list will be posted, however if you make a soap and want to share it but haven't officially signed up, please do! This is meant to be relaxed and fun!
6. Experiments are always interesting. If you learned something, please share. As always, please keep comments kind and have fun!

1. ResolvableOwl - Time to restock mustard oil and revisit butterflies! 🦋
2. I enjoy these UNchallenged. (aka The_Phoenix)
3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)

Aww man! If there was ever a challenge that wouldn't be too much pressure for me, this would be it! The trouble is I'm so new that I haven't done enough techniques to want to retry them. I guess I might have to get on making more soap so that I can experience failure a bit more. 😏

I guess I might have to get on making more soap so that I can experience failure a bit more.

No such thing as 'failure', just 'opportunities to learn'. As an example...I had a soap that shattered when I tried to cut it. It gave me the 'opportunity to learn' about the proper use of Titanium Dioxide. 🤣

Aww man! If there was ever a challenge that wouldn't be too much pressure for me, this would be it! The trouble is I'm so new that I haven't done enough techniques to want to retry them. I guess I might have to get on making more soap so that I can experience failure a bit more. 😏
Take a look at the previous challenges thread. There might be something there you would like to try. This is an Un-Challenge, so guidelines are a bit looser and they are truly meant for all to be included and just for fun. Something as simple as achieving a good black, white or other color would also be something that could be retried. At least that is what I think @szaza intends.

3. TheGecko (I have two I would like to redux...Melded Soap and the recent Rainbow)
4. linne1gi - I’m in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.

4. linne1gi - I'm in!
5. Zany in CO - This may be the time I finally try to duplicate Pears Soap. It's been on my Round Tuit list since 2004.

4. linne1gi - I'm in!
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!

4. linne1gi - I'm in!
6. melonpan - the perfect push to retry a (belated) Christmas design from one year ago that I was putting off!
7. Basil- I think this is my type of challenge! I’ve been wanting to get the colors right for ‘sunset at the casbah’ !

Please help! I’m so confused about the concept of an un-challenge. Would we go back to one of the previous challenges and try to do better? If so, do we need to post a picture of our previous challenge and now put it alongside the new soap? Would we revisit our soap fails and post pictures of them next to our new work? Would we simply choose something we would like to try that looks really challenging and use that entry? I cleaned out most of my soap room and want to go into high soapmaking mode, so this would be a good time to accommodate one of the above projects. What are other people going to do?

Please help! I’m so confused about the concept of an un-challenge. Would we go back to one of the previous challenges and try to do better? If so, do we need to post a picture of our previous challenge and now put it alongside the new soap? Would we revisit our soap fails and post pictures of them next to our new work? Would we simply choose something we would like to try that looks really challenging and use that entry? I cleaned out most of my soap room and want to go into high soapmaking mode, so this would be a good time to accommodate one of the above projects. What are other people going to do?
The idea is retry anything you feel you could do better. This could be a technique, a certain type of soap/recipe, a challenge,... If you're willing to post your first try next to your current attempt, that would be awesome, but you're not obliged to do that (some people might not have pictures from all their old soaps).

It doesn’t HAVE to be a previous “challenge”. As an example…in the early days I made an orange and white layered soap that shattered when I went to cut it. I figured out what what I did wrong, but never got around to trying in again; this would be the opportunity to do that.

Back