December Challenge Equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With December generally being a busy month for people, I have been thinking about a challenge that might be more fun, something new, and not terribly time-consuming.

I am brewing an idea for it, which is currently under blankets gelling, and I think it will be a go. However, it requires a mold like a PVC pipe with secure bottom (not just plastic wrap), a Pringles can or similar, or as I have used, an empty plastic 2 pound lye bottle from Essential Depot (I keep the lids to prevent air exposure so keep that around). If people want to have a few goes, that would mean saving a few containers that you can use. I wanted to give a heads up now so people can eat chips, use lye, or get that PVC mold of your dreams and not have to scramble come December.

Also, this is not something I would recommend for a 7 pound mold. Doing 16 ounces batches would be perfect.

If my tester is complete crap, I will post that it was so no one has to save things for nothing.

The plastic boxes that crystal lite drink mixes come in work really well. They have a plastic top that snaps on so i just cut off the bottom and turn it upside down to use. I do put some tape over the lid to prevent any leakage.

Mary Lou

The challenges are generally for CP. They may be possible for HP, but not making soap that way myself, I'm not certain how well that method lends itself to the challenges.

I think people generally put a tube of freezer paper, plastic side in, in the can. If the bottom is lined the same way chai tea cartons are, they are soap safe.

Save the lids for the cans, too. They'll come in handy.

Last edited:
Perfect! I actually moved 2 pringles cans from Alaska. :oops: But that didn't stop me from buying more in Montana because here I found the small 1.4 oz cans. I only have one though -- I bet I'll need more!:p

I like to line my Pringles can with the bendable cutting boards from Dollar Tree. Just use a little double sided tape to hold it in place and bam! Reusable liner that you can push out.

I've had a can of Pringles on top of my fridge for a couple of months, hoping to getting around trying to use it as a mold. I can't stand the taste of them (I tried them years ago when my mother offered me one when first hit the market). She liked them but I thought they were dreadful.

Hope out kitchen remodel will be finished in time for me to participate in the December challenge.

How on earth does one unmold a PVC mold? Or a Pringles can without tearing it up for that matter? I knew you could do this, but often wondered how you ever got it out.

How on earth does one unmold a PVC mold? Or a Pringles can without tearing it up for that matter? I knew you could do this, but often wondered how you ever got it out.

I made some soap in a Pringles can and ended up just tearing it. Now, I have friends buying Pringles and saving the cans for me. That way, I don't have to worry about the calories. ;) Or saving the cans.

I use a can opener to take the bottom off of the Pringles can and then flip the can over and use the top as the bottom. Saran wrap and rubberband the bottom and then add the plastic cap for extra security so soap doesn't come out. Line the can with freezer paper or a bendable plastic chopping board. You can find them at Dollar Tree. Use a little double side tape to get hold the board or paper in place. If you cut the freezer paper or cutting board a little longer than the length of your Pringles can, you can use the extra paper/board as leverage to pull it out or push it out the other end when your soap is ready to unmold. The chopping board is sturdy enough that I sometimes just take the plastic cap off and just push the soap right out. Hope this helps!

I wonder whether it is necessary to line a Pringles can. I contacted them a while ago to ask what the can is made of and this is their reply:

"The can is made up of five components:

Liner: this is the inner part of the can in contact with the product. It in turn is made up of three components - a modified polyethylene layer and an aluminum foil layer both bound onto a paper layer. All these components are fully approved for use with foods.

Body: the main body gives the can its strength and is made of partly recycled cardboard.

Label: the printed labels are made of coated paper

Top lid: the peelable top lid is made of foil and PET
the recloseable top lid is made of low density polyethylene

Metal base: The metal bottoms are purchased separately and put onto the can in the plant after the product has been added. They are made from tin-free steel."

I haven't tried to use it without a liner yet but I am tempted to try.

Latest posts

Back