Dealing with rancid foul smell in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liv2soap

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m so glad to have found this helpful forum! I’ve been soaping for about a year now, and have come across a situation that hopefully some of you can shed light to.

My recipe consists of 55% extra virgin organic olive oil which I buy from a local farmer. This oil is extremely pure as it literally is as raw as it gets. First cold press, no additives so you really get all the good stuff. Other oils I use are coconut oil, castor oil, almond or rice bran oil, avocado oil and shea butter.

Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that after using my soap bars a few times, they smell really bad and I get the feeling it has to do with the olive oil. Has anyone ever encountered this situation? If so, have you found any solutions? I’d really appreciate any help! It is very discouraging when all the love, effort and quality ingredients one puts into a soap bar, ends up smelling so disgusting that you don't even want to use the bar to clean yourself.

Thanks in advance!

How long do you cure the soap? Does it develop orange spots?
I don't use OO anymore but I wouldn't waste the best in soap. All the good stuff you mentioned doesn't survive the lye.
I suggest trying a different pressing, see if anything changes.

I agree with Obsidian. I wouldn't use a first pressed olive oil for soaping. I started out using pomace; now the only olive oil I use is a regular old olive oil from the grocery store.

My first thought in reading your post was that you may have DOS, or oil that has gone rancid in your soap.

@Obsidian @Misschief

Thanks for you feedback!

Yes, some if my soaps have developed DOS, is that caused because of the olive oil as well?
If you're using virgin olive oil in all your soaps, then I would say yes. I just looked up the shelf life of EVOO. Once exposed to air, it's recommended to use up within 30-60 days. That's a pretty short shelf life. That will definitely affect your soap.

Hi everyone!

I’m so glad to have found this helpful forum! I’ve been soaping for about a year now, and have come across a situation that hopefully some of you can shed light to.

My recipe consists of 55% extra virgin organic olive oil which I buy from a local farmer. This oil is extremely pure as it literally is as raw as it gets. First cold press, no additives so you really get all the good stuff. Other oils I use are coconut oil, castor oil, almond or rice bran oil, avocado oil and shea butter.

Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that after using my soap bars a few times, they smell really bad and I get the feeling it has to do with the olive oil. Has anyone ever encountered this situation? If so, have you found any solutions? I’d really appreciate any help! It is very discouraging when all the love, effort and quality ingredients one puts into a soap bar, ends up smelling so disgusting that you don't even want to use the bar to clean yourself.

Thanks in advance!
I was taught to use the cheapest olive oil I could find as there can be problems with EVOO. I guess I would suggest using the good stuff for cooking and buy inexpensive (relatively) for soaping.

I will certainly experiment with other oils... does anyone know what is the issue with extra virgin olive oil? How could it be DOS proofed?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Latest posts

Back