de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you will be applying the stain stick to delicate or brightly colored fabrics, be sure to test first. Soap can bleach some colors and can be hard on delicate fabrics.

What I said in post #669 -- I'd probably try washing in ultra hot water with plenty of detergent and see if that removes the residue.

I have never made a 100% coconut oil soap before. With 38% water and 30% lye, 5% superfat and 0% water discount??
no laundry soap is 0 superfat you do not want to have left fat on your clothes, and I do 33% lye solution. 38 is just too much it takes a long time to evaporate that water , I grate it when still warm leave some for laundry sticks and cure it for about 3 to 4 weeks

I added 5% rice bran wax to be able to use this in a push up tube. Will report back in a couple of weeks to let you know how the cardboard holds up if anyone is interested.

IMG_20200622_092247697~2-01.jpeg

Okay, so you have different stuff than what I found from the same manufacturer. I did find some 100% pure MgOH but again, the postage is at least double that of the actual product.

From what I found 40 dollar postage for a package that costs 50 dollars, is actually pretty good. But I'm not prepared to put quite that much money into deodorant, even if that would be life time supply or something. =P

The really annoying thing in all this is that MgOH happens to be one of the few variations of hydroxides or variations of Mg salts that our environmental lab doesn't have. Almost everything else I could borrow from work but of course not that one...

Any luck finding mag hydroxide yet? I’ve bought from Organic Makers here in Sweden. Their prices are not great, but service etc is very good. Maybe that would work for you?

I do not get any build up on my clothes using carnauba wax at 6.2% in my deo sticks. It took the carnauba to get them to hold up in the tubes. I find beeswax and Cera Bellina would become sticky over time, the same as it does in lotion bars.

Hi guys! I'm new here, I've played around with multiple deodorant recipes. Initially, I used baking soda, shea, beeswax, Arrowroot powder and EO's. This caused me to break out in a red rashes under the armptis. I've been playing around with Zinc Oxide and Zinc ricinoleate, plus butters oils and EO's, this has worked extremely well without irritation, the only downfall is the marking on clothing from the zinc ! I'm really interested in trying out Magnesium and Babassu oil with oil/butter/wax ratio for cardboard push up deodorant. Can anyone share the ratios for a working mixture that applies easily and can be used in a cardboard push up? :)

Hi guys! I'm new here, I've played around with multiple deodorant recipes. Initially, I used baking soda, shea, beeswax, Arrowroot powder and EO's. This caused me to break out in a red rashes under the armptis. I've been playing around with Zinc Oxide and Zinc ricinoleate, plus butters oils and EO's, this has worked extremely well without irritation, the only downfall is the marking on clothing from the zinc ! I'm really interested in trying out Magnesium and Babassu oil with oil/butter/wax ratio for cardboard push up deodorant. Can anyone share the ratios for a working mixture that applies easily and can be used in a cardboard push up? :)
Hi, and welcome.
I can't help you too much because don't use the push-up tubes, but the 60/40 MgOH/babassu ratio has been working well for me. I would experiment with adding 5-6% of wax.
Hopefully someone who has more push-up tube experience will be able to help more.

Hi, and welcome.
I can't help you too much because don't use the push-up tubes, but the 60/40 MgOH/babassu ratio has been working well for me. I would experiment with adding 5-6% of wax.
Hopefully someone who has more push-up tube experience will be able to help more.

Ahh, thanks for the reply! Are you using it in a "plastic stick container" or as a smear on paste?

Ahh, thanks for the reply! Are you using it in a "plastic stick container" or as a smear on paste?
It's a cream consistency for me, a bit depending on the temp. (It's summer right now and if I have the AC set for 75F, it's a thinner cream; if I have it set for 73F, it's a very thick cream. I think babassu oil has its melting temp right around room temperature.)
So I keep it in a plastic container, one that you would keep a hand cream in, and apply it as a cream. I had originally thought it would be quite icky, but it's really not.

Way earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about various types of babassu being sold.

Babassu from some suppliers is a brittle solid at room temperature, and babassu from other suppliers is softer. I can't tell you why there's a difference. It doesn't seem to be a difference that even the suppliers are aware of. Or maybe they are but aren't talking about it?

The babassu - mag hydroxide deodorant I make is always a stiff waxy paste. It works well in a twist-up deodorant container, even when the house is in the 80s F.

Hi welcome. I too use the 60/40 split with cera bellina wax but i use the plastic tubes. And i will be trying a 5-6% wax. I had 8% and want to use less and see if it works as well.

Thanks! Why did you want to use less than 8% was it a personal choice thing, playing around or was it too hard? I'm gonna whip up several batchs with the different ratios and see what is best for me and my partner. Wondering if the ratios are better, the same or less effective between the different sexes.

Way earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about various types of babassu being sold.

Babassu from some suppliers is a brittle solid at room temperature, and babassu from other suppliers is softer. I can't tell you why there's a difference. It doesn't seem to be a difference that even the suppliers are aware of. Or maybe they are but aren't talking about it?

The babassu - mag hydroxide deodorant I make is always a stiff waxy paste. It works well in a twist-up deodorant container, even when the house is in the 80s F.

I've read the whole thread (Took awhile) 😂

I have ordered Babassu Oil, my supplier generally has good product so will be interesting to see what consistency it is!

Waxy paste is fine, the zinc deodorant I've had success making tends to paint clothing with white streaks if you are not careful when applying, it washes out though but can be annoying!

We have Celcius here in our part of the world, I believe 80F is around 26.6C, definitely would not hold up to our summers, sometimes 30C +. Will probably need to up the wax ratio!

Ok i will put my 2 cents worth in...the babassu butter is rock solid and the babassu oil is softer. I have both and that is how I
found the difference. You definitely want the oil.

I have ordered the oil so will be interesting to see whether it's hard or soft!

I look forward to playing around !

Oh yes, I remember that discussion about babassu. Interesting indeed. Mine in 80F (yes, around 27C; with AC!)would be clear liquid -- so my deo is a liquidy cream. My babassu solidifies around 73-75F; it is not super hard even then, you can still squeeze out of the container (it came in an upright bottle with a spout), but becomes opaque and vaseline-like consistency.
Anyway, it's interesting. I don't think the consistency makes a whole lot of difference in effectiveness; I like mine whether it's on the solid side or on the liquidy side, as long as you don't mind the application method.
Good luck with experimenting!

Thanks! Why did you want to use less than 8% was it a personal choice thing, playing around or was it too hard? I'm gonna whip up several batchs with the different ratios and see what is best for me and my partner. Wondering if the ratios are better, the same or less effective between the different sexes.

I've read the whole thread (Took awhile) 😂

I have ordered Babassu Oil, my supplier generally has good product so will be interesting to see what consistency it is!

Waxy paste is fine, the zinc deodorant I've had success making tends to paint clothing with white streaks if you are not careful when applying, it washes out though but can be annoying!

We have Celcius here in our part of the world, I believe 80F is around 26.6C, definitely would not hold up to our summers, sometimes 30C +. Will probably need to up the wax ratio!

I have ordered the oil so will be interesting to see whether it's hard or soft!

I look forward to playing around !

I want to try less than 8% to see if it holds up when travelling. I used 8% and stuck it in my closed car in the sun at 32 C. It did not melt. Now I want to see if it holds up using less wax as I think (could be my imagination) that it decreases the efficiency of the deo with more wax. However, and this may be my imagination as well, but I find I get less white "coloring" of my clothes with the wax. So I want to see if that theory holds true with a bit less wax.

Now up here in Canada even the babassu oil is darn hard, especially in winter. If I could get a paste for everyday use I would be very happy. But the addition of the wax softens it enough that I don't have to nuke it whenever I need to use it lol.

OMG! Kuddos to you for reading the whole blog. I have been with it from the start and even I have a hard time reviewing 🤪

Back