de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current iteration of this deodorant is:
49% Babassu oil
33% Magnesium Hydroxide
8.5% E-Wax (Mountain Rose Herbs)
9% Cetyl Alcohol
0.5% Fragrance

As you can see, there is no BTMS-50 in the recipe (ewax, instead) and I do not get any of the pilling you mention - do you think it could be the BTMS-50? Of course, I'm also using a lower percentage of "hardeners," so maybe that could play a part, and I would think your idea of testing out a lower percentage of the BTMS-50/Cetyl is on the right track.

I used e wax and didn't like it. I hope you like it and update us about it.

I used e wax and didn't like it. I hope you like it and update us about it.

I've been experimenting with these ingredients since Feb. 2018, and using this particular recipe since January 2019 and loving it. The experiments where I used 3% each ewax and cetyl alcohol was too little (deodorant wasn't firm enough for my liking and resulted in applying way too much), and 10% each was too much (very draggy). The current ratios are just about right for me, although I really need to set it outside to see how it does in the heat wave we've been having, or, better yet, take it for a ride in the car and leave it there for an afternoon. I can see it now, where the husband asks where I'm going and I say, oh, just taking the deodorant for a ride...

I've been experimenting with these ingredients since Feb. 2018, and using this particular recipe since January 2019 and loving it. The experiments where I used 3% each ewax and cetyl alcohol was too little (deodorant wasn't firm enough for my liking and resulted in applying way too much), and 10% each was too much (very draggy). The current ratios are just about right for me, although I really need to set it outside to see how it does in the heat wave we've been having, or, better yet, take it for a ride in the car and leave it there for an afternoon. I can see it now, where the husband asks where I'm going and I say, oh, just taking the deodorant for a ride...

I am happy it worked for you.

I have tried several recipes for 5 years and now I have found the right one for me. I am a person who stinks underarm even though I am 65 years old. Regarding the Babassu oil, yes it is very good for the deodorant. I use organic coconut oil, virgin, it is much less oily and penetrates quickly into the skin (not refined coconut oil 76 for soap). By adding E-Wax the greasy effect goes away completely.
Try this simple recipe.

1 tablespoon Organic coconut oil or Babassu oil
½ tablespoon E-Wax ant melt with oil

Dry ingredients

1/2 tablespoon of Baking Soda (If you are allergic avoid and use arrowroot or cornstarch)
1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon of Arrow Root or Cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon Diatomaceous Earth
Mix well dry ingredients and add slowly to the oil.

Add 3 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
2 drops of Palmarosa essential oil
2 drops of lavender essential oil

Mix well and put in the jar or stick.

I avoid beeswax or other wax because it makes me sweat. With this recipe, my armpits stay dry. with the E-Wax the oil is no greasy and I rinse my fingers under the water and no greasy effect remains.

I do not use any fragrance. My deodorant does not smell very good but the smell disappears in an hour and it smells nothing through clothes and especially does not stain.

I have tried several recipes for 5 years and now I have found the right one for me. I am a person who stinks underarm even though I am 65 years old. Regarding the Babassu oil, yes it is very good for the deodorant. I use organic coconut oil, virgin, it is much less oily and penetrates quickly into the skin (not refined coconut oil 76 for soap). By adding E-Wax the greasy effect goes away completely.
Try this simple recipe.

1 tablespoon Organic coconut oil or Babassu oil
½ tablespoon E-Wax ant melt with oil

Dry ingredients

1/2 tablespoon of Baking Soda (If you are allergic avoid and use arrowroot or cornstarch)
1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon of Arrow Root or Cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon Diatomaceous Earth
Mix well dry ingredients and add slowly to the oil.

Add 3 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
2 drops of Palmarosa essential oil
2 drops of lavender essential oil

Mix well and put in the jar or stick.

I avoid beeswax or other wax because it makes me sweat. With this recipe, my armpits stay dry. with the E-Wax the oil is no greasy and I rinse my fingers under the water and no greasy effect remains.

I do not use any fragrance. My deodorant does not smell very good but the smell disappears in an hour and it smells nothing through clothes and especially does not stain.

But you are suggesting baking soda which tends to burn a lot of underarms and i have tried the diatomaceous earth and did not like the scratchy consistency.

I've made dozens of recipes over the years (all coconut oil based) and have dozens of discarded half-full containers. It always comes down to how I do NOT like the smell of BO + CO, and whatever EOs I add are then tainted forever in my mind ;-)
Also, I buy most of my clothes second-hand and body odor can tend to stay in the clothes....they smell fine most of the time, but when I move around a little bit, it's not even my BO, but someone's from years ago that's now leaking out (I guess I have a high ick tolerance).
Thirdly though, this is an important missing piece for most people I bet:
Material Girl – If you stink, it’s probably your clothes' fault.

I've made dozens of recipes over the years (all coconut oil based) and have dozens of discarded half-full containers. It always comes down to how I do NOT like the smell of BO + CO, and whatever EOs I add are then tainted forever in my mind ;-)
Also, I buy most of my clothes second-hand and body odor can tend to stay in the clothes....they smell fine most of the time, but when I move around a little bit, it's not even my BO, but someone's from years ago that's now leaking out (I guess I have a high ick tolerance).
Thirdly though, this is an important missing piece for most people I bet:
Material Girl – If you stink, it’s probably your clothes' fault.

YES! This is very true. I have had to toss tops that i have cleaned and when i dressed in them have found a definite stink. Out they go and it is sad because some were my favorite tops.

But you are suggesting baking soda which tends to burn a lot of underarms and i have tried the diatomaceous earth and did not like the scratchy consistency.

If you read well, I wrote "if you are allergic to baking soda replace it with arrowroot or cornstarch. The old recipes suggested 1 part of coconut oil, 1 part of baking soda and 1 part of arrowroot and cornstarch. There was too much baking soda, my armpits were irritated, so I cut in half and I had no problem. The recipe I wrote is last that I tried and I'm completely satisfied. It may be because of organic coconut oil and a little 1/4 teaspoon of Diatomaceous Earth but my armpits stay dry even when I'm sweating.

what about stains on clothes from CO, you can not wash it off. I can not use baking soda due the immediate rash, does not matter how little I put there. Laprerielady we do not use tsp here, weight or percentage,

Last edited:
what about stains on clothes from CO, you can not wash it off. I can not use baking soda due the immediate rash, does not matter how little I put there. Laprerielady we do not use tsp here, weight or percentage,

When using E-Wax it emulsifies the oil and I apply the deodorant with my fingers when I rinse the oil turns into lotion so not greasy effect. I do not use beeswax or other wax.

About weight or percentage, you are right, but here we are talking about oil and starch, not necessary. I make lotions and creams, soap, lipstick, balm etc. and all my ingredients are weighed. I know cosmetology. I do not sell soap and bath & body product, it's a hobby for me.

If my post is not appropriate here, tell me I will delete it.

When using E-Wax it emulsifies the oil and I apply the deodorant with my fingers when I rinse the oil turns into lotion so not greasy effect. I do not use beeswax or other wax.

About weight or percentage, you are right, but here we are talking about oil and starch, not necessary. I make lotions and creams, soap, lipstick, balm etc. and all my ingredients are weighed. I know cosmetology. I do not sell soap and bath & body product, it's a hobby for me.

If my post is not appropriate here, tell me I will delete it.
Do you think I do not use emulsifier? Co leaves awful stains so does cocoa butter, The easiest to wash off is babassu oil.

tsp teaspoon tbsp = table spoon. Thanks Cmzaha :)
like always I use metric, I thought you use metric to while making lotions. Am I right?

I have no problem with volume measure (tsp/tbls) with this type of product. It's easy enough to weigh as I go and make notes for the next time. That being said, I agree with you, Dahila, I also prefer metric weights for making lotions and such.

I think Nanette was just thrown off for a moment, as was I. Having been in a cleaning kick this weekend my first thought was “TSP in a soap/deodorant recipe?!” TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) is what I use to clean walls, sometimes. I quickly realized that my mind was not on measurements, as it should be. I don’t think she was being sarcastic.

Back