de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm would it be better if you had the rock hard babassu for hot summertime use instead of the softer one? A few posts back i mentioned that i had ordered one from New Directions which did not melt even in + 34 celsius.
I have Soaper's Choice Babassu it was less expensive than ND's and ND's only states that their Babassu is a soft white fat. So I really doubt it will work any different from what I have.

I don't know which babassu Carolyn has, but mine, which is hard and not soft until I melt it will not work as you suggest. I've posted about this in past with my deo, but when I travel a simple 50:50 Magnesium hydroxide:babassu will soften when exposed to high heats of summer travel, especially in my car trunk, but also in the cabin of my car if not in the cooler with my food. That's why I added beeswax, and later trying other waxes to increase the melting point.
I do not find that 50:50 is going to get through heat. I did try DeeAnna's last posted formula with a slight tweak of lowering the Babassu and adding in 2% IPM. It did hold up in the tube yesterday without going to paste. I think it might be a winner with the 30% MH.

@BattleGnome it was a soft paste. I scooped some into a deli cup and it is still a very soft paste, so it will need to be jarred if I decide to make and sell it during the summer. I did melt some down and added in 3% Candelilla Wax to toughen it up and it was way to much. I am going to try 1% and see how it works.

BA26623F-FC87-43BA-A3C5-40C461F85CF3.png
I don't know which babassu Carolyn has, but mine, which is hard and not soft until I melt it will not work as you suggest. I've posted about this in past with my deo, but when I travel a simple 50:50 Magnesium hydroxide:babassu will soften when exposed to high heats of summer travel, especially in my car trunk, but also in the cabin of my car if not in the cooler with my food. That's why I added beeswax, and later trying other waxes to increase the melting point.
Post 465 shows a softer babassu and this is a pic of the rock hard one...i have had both and believe me there is a difference

I don't doubt you, Gaisy, but what you have there is called babassu butter so I wonder if it is the same? I wonder what specifically is different about it that it is called a butter instead of oil and if that contributes to the extra hardness of it.

What is the melting point of your 'rock-hard' babassu? And could you provide a link to where you purchased it, as I cannot find a babassu butter online that looks like that in my searches. I'd like to learn more about it.

Also, I think your description of the 'soft' babassu was confusing to more than just me. To me that babassu is not 'soft'. It's a hard oil, as hard oils are defined, so I was under the impression that when you talked about a soft babassu that you meant a liquid babassu and not the solid that DeeAnna pictured in her post (#465 on page 24).

edit: corrrection of a partially missing word (on corrected to online)

Last edited:
I had read reviews on Babassu butter and it suppose to be the hardest, I ordered babassu oil, Which one do you use Ladies?

I don't doubt you, Gaisy, but what you have there is called babassu butter so I wonder if it is the same? I wonder what specifically is different about it that it is called a butter instead of oil and if that contributes to the extra hardness of it.

What is the melting point of your 'rock-hard' babassu? And could you provide a link to where you purchased it, as I cannot find a babassu butter online that looks like that in my searches. I'd like to learn more about it.

Also, I think your description of the 'soft' babassu was confusing to more than just me. To me that babassu is not 'soft'. It's a hard oil, as hard oils are defined, so I was under the impression that when you talked about a soft babassu that you meant a liquid babassu and not the solid that DeeAnna pictured in her post (#465 on page 24).

edit: corrrection of a partially missing word (on corrected to online)
Hiya Earlene, i purchased the hard babassu from www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca and they also have a US affiliate. They do not give a melting point unfortunately, but it is definitely higher than the 76 degree one. Sorry about the soft and hard description but if you had them side by side you could feel that one was “hard” and the other “soft”.

Soooo it is getting clearer now...i first ordered a butter and the second time i ordered the oil. Interesting because the butter does work it just has to be softened prior to usage, and this is the one that does travel well without melting. I think i will use both then. The oil for everyday and the butter for hot vacations.

Awesome! Thanks!

I’m on my iPad, so this will be harder to do. I searched for the qualities of babassu oil. There is good info regarding the plant and its origins and uses at www.pfaf.org (attalea speciosa - Mart.). So far, everything I’ve found regarding the melting point unequivocally states it is around 76 degrees. I don’t see anything listed as having a higher melting point. I know the oil I purchased is from Soaper’s Choice and came in a gallon jug. It was hard as a rock. I melted it down and poured it into pint mason jars. I’ve kept the jars in the fridge and the oil is like a brick. However, they’ve been sitting on my kitchen counter since Thursday and they are STILL solid. The last I checked (Saturday) I could NOT shove a metal spoon through a full jar of oil to touch the bottom. That is a PINT sized glass jar sitting out on a counter. I can take a metal knife and shove the entire thing into my full jar of coconut oil. That’s the huge gallon sized jar from Big Lots that I got on sale a couple of years ago. The coconut oil is extremely soft and pours easily. The coconut is a cloudy semi-liquid. The babassu is a solid opaque white that has the hardness similar to cold lard. When it’s been in the fridge, it has the hardness similar to cold tallow. (Cold tallow can be a lethal weapon!!) Now they’re both listed as 76 degree melting point and they’re both sitting in a house with no air conditioning. You would thing the container with the smaller volume would have the softer/more liquid contents; however, that is just not the case. The huge jug of coconut oil has a much more liquid consistency than the smaller jars of babassu. My personal, non scientific, completely factless assumption about this is: MAGIC. No, not really, but close to it. Whatever magical ingredient that naturally occurs in the babassu oil that does not occur in the coconut oil (thereby making the babassu oil the antibacterial oil that coconut oil is not) is responsible for the babassu staying harder at higher temperatures. Those little germ fighters gotta beat the heat to stay alive and fight our funk. They can’t do it if they’re swimming in an oil slick. They’re doing some little magic dance to keep their environment solid until it hits the pits.

Hiya Earlene, i purchased the hard babassu from www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca and they also have a US affiliate. They do not give a melting point unfortunately, but it is definitely higher than the 76 degree one. Sorry about the soft and hard description but if you had them side by side you could feel that one was “hard” and the other “soft”.

Soooo it is getting clearer now...i first ordered a butter and the second time i ordered the oil. Interesting because the butter does work it just has to be softened prior to usage, and this is the one that does travel well without melting. I think i will use both then. The oil for everyday and the butter for hot vacations.

Awesome! Thanks!

This is interesting. I looked at the products on the website and they actually have origin information, which I have never seen before. The difference between the “butter” and the “oil” is in the processing. I was afraid the butter was like other “butters” which would be a mix of the specific oil plus hydrogenated vegetable oil (usually palm). I never buy “coffee butter” or “cranberry butter” for that reason. However, according to the info posted, the butter is unrefined babassu seed kernel oil. They basically smash it, get rid of the debris, wash it with water and that’s it. The other is refined and bleached and deodorized and a whole bunch of other stuff done. Possibly (just guessing, I have no scientific background) during the refining process some of the fat solids are lost making a softer end product. Kind of like the difference between full fat and 2% milk. There is definitely a watered down texture and mouth-feel that is evident when making soups and creamy desserts. Maybe that mouth feel in foods got translated into melting point (or perceived melting point) or hardness (perceived hardness) in the end product. Although, I like my “magic germ fighter” theory much better than this “how it’s processed” theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting. I looked at the products on the website and they actually have origin information, which I have never seen before. The difference between the “butter” and the “oil” is in the processing. I was afraid the butter was like other “butters” which would be a mix of the specific oil plus hydrogenated vegetable oil (usually palm). I never buy “coffee butter” or “cranberry butter” for that reason. However, according to the info posted, the butter is unrefined babassu seed kernel oil. They basically smash it, get rid of the debris, wash it with water and that’s it. The other is refined and bleached and deodorized and a whole bunch of other stuff done. Possibly (just guessing, I have no scientific background) during the refining process some of the fat solids are lost making a softer end product. Kind of like the difference between full fat and 2% milk. There is definitely a watered down texture and mouth-feel that is evident when making soups and creamy desserts. Maybe that mouth feel in foods got translated into melting point (or perceived melting point) or hardness (perceived hardness) in the end product. Although, I like my “magic germ fighter” theory much better than this “how it’s processed” theory.
Lol i love your “magic” concept because i dont understand it either. As for your germ fighter theory well that works for me too:thumbs:

I took a look at the price of babassu butter and lost my interest, Babassu oil works great for me ;)
It is hard, but will melt while on skin but like Coconut oil
I move small amount to jars and keep it in fridge to have ready when making deos, in deodorants tubes. The rest is in freezer. I buy it from New Direction Aromatics just in Canadian store
BTW I like the magic too, it is magical to be able to make own products :)

Last edited:
My new try went very mushy. This one is based on DeeAnna's 30% Magnesium Hydroxide. It is really looking without the addition of a wax they just do not want to stop going to mush. I do not like the feel of wax in the deodorant.

I also did not like the price of the Babassu Butter so will just have to work it out with the oil

Just for historical purposes, I want to comment on my earlier post regarding the effect that commercial deodorants have on your body. I happened to be on Aromantic's website and clicked on their post entitled Switching to a Natural Deodorant and found this paragraph "As most antiperspirants work by clogging the pores to prevent the sweat from escaping your body, they can cause not only skin inflammation, but also can produce a build-up of bacteria in the clogged pores that can lead to a worsened body odour - quite the opposite of the desired result!" Finding this piqued my curiosity enough to search further and lo and behold, there was a scientific study corroborating my beliefs. "Antiperspirant usage led toward an increase of Actinobacteria, which is an unfavorable situation with respect to body odor development. These initial results show that axillary cosmetics modify the microbial community and can stimulate odor-producing bacteria.l

I’m on my iPad, so this will be harder to do. I searched for the qualities of babassu oil. There is good info regarding the plant and its origins and uses at www.pfaf.org (attalea speciosa - Mart.). So far, everything I’ve found regarding the melting point unequivocally states it is around 76 degrees. I don’t see anything listed as having a higher melting point. I know the oil I purchased is from Soaper’s Choice and came in a gallon jug. It was hard as a rock. I melted it down and poured it into pint mason jars. I’ve kept the jars in the fridge and the oil is like a brick. However, they’ve been sitting on my kitchen counter since Thursday and they are STILL solid. The last I checked (Saturday) I could NOT shove a metal spoon through a full jar of oil to touch the bottom. That is a PINT sized glass jar sitting out on a counter. I can take a metal knife and shove the entire thing into my full jar of coconut oil. That’s the huge gallon sized jar from Big Lots that I got on sale a couple of years ago. The coconut oil is extremely soft and pours easily. The coconut is a cloudy semi-liquid. The babassu is a solid opaque white that has the hardness similar to cold lard. When it’s been in the fridge, it has the hardness similar to cold tallow. (Cold tallow can be a lethal weapon!!) Now they’re both listed as 76 degree melting point and they’re both sitting in a house with no air conditioning. You would thing the container with the smaller volume would have the softer/more liquid contents; however, that is just not the case. The huge jug of coconut oil has a much more liquid consistency than the smaller jars of babassu. My personal, non scientific, completely factless assumption about this is: MAGIC. No, not really, but close to it. Whatever magical ingredient that naturally occurs in the babassu oil that does not occur in the coconut oil (thereby making the babassu oil the antibacterial oil that coconut oil is not) is responsible for the babassu staying harder at higher temperatures. Those little germ fighters gotta beat the heat to stay alive and fight our funk. They can’t do it if they’re swimming in an oil slick. They’re doing some little magic dance to keep their environment solid until it hits the pits.

I like the magic theory, Teresa, and I don't deny that there is a lot of magic going on in this world. My unscientific observations are that babassu oil tends to stay in whatever state it finds itself. For example, if it is hard as a rock, it takes a long time for it to become liquid, much more time than CO. If it is hard as a brick, it tends to stay hard for a long time, even if in a hot room. So, I wonder if something about babassu makes it tend to stay in the state it is in unless exposed to extreme temps.

Just for historical purposes, I want to comment on my earlier post regarding the effect that commercial deodorants have on your body. I happened to be on Aromantic's website and clicked on their post entitled Switching to a Natural Deodorant and found this paragraph "As most antiperspirants work by clogging the pores to prevent the sweat from escaping your body, they can cause not only skin inflammation, but also can produce a build-up of bacteria in the clogged pores that can lead to a worsened body odour - quite the opposite of the desired result!" Finding this piqued my curiosity enough to search further and lo and behold, there was a scientific study corroborating my beliefs. "Antiperspirant usage led toward an increase of Actinobacteria, which is an unfavorable situation with respect to body odor development. These initial results show that axillary cosmetics modify the microbial community and can stimulate odor-producing bacteria.l

I was under the impression that the magnesium hydroxide exerted an antiperspirant action. It does on me. I do not sweat freely when I use it. When I use plain babassu in my pits, I sweat more, but I am somewhat odor free. It's true that clogging your pores anywhere you perspire may result in bacterial problems.

I find this conversation fascinating! I'm kind of the opposite of most here though... My babassu oil is completely liquid and from across the room it looks like water. My 76 coconut oil is not completely liquid, rather it's gel like in a semi solid state. Both oils are in the same cabinet.

I find this conversation fascinating! I'm kind of the opposite of most here though... My babassu oil is completely liquid and from across the room it looks like water. My 76 coconut oil is not completely liquid, rather it's gel like in a semi solid state. Both oils are in the same cabinet.
My Coconut oil and Babassu are both liquid in the heat we are having. My Cocoa Butter is softening and my PKO is softer than I have ever experienced with it. Actually I see one small container of pko is starting to melt. It is Hot !

I was under the impression that the magnesium hydroxide exerted an antiperspirant action. It does on me. I do not sweat freely when I use it. When I use plain babassu in my pits, I sweat more, but I am somewhat odor free. It's true that clogging your pores anywhere you perspire may result in bacterial problems.
Hi Beckster i use the mag/babassu deo and i still sweat but no stink so far

My new try went very mushy. This one is based on DeeAnna's 30% Magnesium Hydroxide. It is really looking without the addition of a wax they just do not want to stop going to mush. I do not like the feel of wax in the deodorant.

I also did not like the price of the Babassu Butter so will just have to work it out with the oil
I have been using both types of babassu at the 50:50 ratio and no other additives. So far so good.

Back