de-funk de pits

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by TeresaT, Jul 30, 2016.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2018 #561

Mara

Mara

Mara

I've made the experience that during a time when I was on a zero carbohydrate diet I also had zero body odor. Not just the body, but the feces didn't smell either. I was very surprised as I had expected the opposite to happen. My guess is that bacteria feed on the sugars that we eat.

TeresaGG and Mary M like this.
  2. Oct 11, 2018 #562

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

You may be right.... I am still trying to figure it all out. I get to the point that I am odor free even though I sweat with my homemade deo and then I eat something and find that I start smelling again. Oddly enough my test is my riding lesson - if I'm odor free afterwards I've done something right....

3. Oct 23, 2018 #563

SheLion

SheLion

SheLion

I have found that if I'm wearing a shirt with synthetic fibers in it, the shirt will have a funk. As far as I can figure, it's the chemistry of my sweat reacting with the fibers because when I take the shirt off, my pits don't smell funky. And I don't get the funky smell with cotton. So I've started paying closer attention when shopping. Sadly for me, a very high percentage of clothing is made with polyester, which is the worst offender for me.

4. Nov 12, 2018 #564

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

That's why I hate polyester. Odors stick to it through repeated washings, too. Under arm odors are the hardest to remove from polyester in my experience, so I avoid whenever possible.

SoaperForLife likes this.
  5. Nov 12, 2018 #565

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

Not sure that I even own anything polyester... I am a stay-at-home whatever so my clothes come from the second hand store here in town. T-shirts, hoodies, long sleeved shirts with stains or holes are mostly what I wear these days.

6. Nov 12, 2018 #566

earlene

earlene

earlene

I don't know about the mid-Atlantic area, SoaperForLife, but here in my little MidWestern town our local Goodwill has lots of polyester and polyester blends. That's probably because there are so many polyesters in the clothes sold around here locally. It also used to be quite common in clothes sold in the 70's and 80's when I was a young woman, so I wore it a lot when I was young, but it persists in the clothing industry. It may be more common in some areas than others, of course. I would guess in areas where the trend is toward natural fibers, it would be less common in stores.

All you have to do is read the labels (if they are still intact) in your clothing to see if polyester is one of the fibers listed. It is quite often blended in clothes that are 'wrinkle-resistent' and 'active wear' clothing. https://www.whowhatwear.com/what-is-polyester

7. Nov 13, 2018 #567

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

For what it's worth, I'd like to mention that when I ran out of my normal "Pit Defunker", due to the info in this thread, I tried using Milk of Magnesia straight in a Roll On bottle and it works. I had a couple of nights of hard labor recently where I ended up sweating like never before and stayed odor free -- clothes didn't get funky either.
    WooHoo.gif

SoaperForLife likes this.
  8. Nov 13, 2018 #568

Spice

Spice

Spice

Supporting Member

DELETE

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. Nov 13, 2018 #569

earlene

earlene

earlene

Well, much as I wish TeresaT would come back to us on a regular basis, she hasn't been around in about 6 weeks or so and a bit less frequently for a the past few months. Life must hold a lot for her lately, I guess. Anyway, I don't know when she will see your question.

TeresaT likes this.
  10. Nov 13, 2018 #570

Spice

Spice

Spice

Supporting Member

I saw the date of this post and deleted. Have a real bad cold and just not myself. I haven't been around either. Anyway, that salt rock does miracles.

earlene likes this.
  11. Nov 13, 2018 #571

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

No worries, Spice- this seems to be one of those long, on-going threads, such as the shaving thread or the Soaping 101 thread. :)

I used to use the crystal rock deodorant stones back in the late '90's, and while on the one hand they worked great for me, they ended up irritating my pits rather badly after a few months of steady use that I had to stop using them.

Thankfully, that has not been the case for me with the babassu/magnesium hydroxide after almost 2 years of steady use. I don't do the extra 'doctoring-up' to turn it into a stick deodorant, so mine is made and ready to go in less than a minute. I just mix the two ingredients in a jar and call it done. It's a creamy consistency that can be applied with the fingers. At first it kinda creeped me out having to rub it into my pits with my fingers, but it didn't take me very long to get used to it.

IrishLass :)

DeeAnna likes this.
  12. Nov 13, 2018 #572

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

You are fine on this as it’s an ongoing process for most here.

TeresaT likes this.
  13. Nov 14, 2018 #573

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Carpet! giggle.gif

@Spice That is seriously funny!

I'd only thought of Potassium alum (Potassium aluminium sulfate) from the art use side of things, I didn't realise it was the same stuff in crystal deoderant.

I tried the crystal deoderant a long time ago and decided then that I didn't like it, but other folk do swear by it (and it's very popular in countries around here).

Apparently it's also used as a post-shaving/post-hair removal treatment for it's soothing and antibacterial qualities (something I found out from the Wiki page, so thanks for talking about the crystals ... I've learned something new today :))

TeresaT likes this.
  14. Nov 15, 2018 #574

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

As I was looking through one of my herbal tea books I happened upon a "Better Body Odor Tea" that some of you may be interested in trying out... it is 2 parts peppermint leaf, 2 parts spearmint leaf, 1 part alfalfa leaf, 1 part nettle leaf. There is a notation stating that "herbs rich in chlorophyll help purify the system from within". I have not tried this specific recipe but I do often drink another herbal tea that contains two of the four aforementioned herbs and it's quite possible that there is a correlation between when I get on a "tea bender" and the subsequent lack of underarm odor I experience.

BattleGnome likes this.
  15. Nov 15, 2018 #575

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

16. Nov 16, 2018 #576

TeresaT

TeresaT

TeresaT

I see you. Lifetime Supporter

SURPRISE!! I just popped in for a second. Don’t really know what prompted me to, actually. Yes, Earlene, life is definitely getting in the way lately. As far as the question of the salt crystal is concerned, I did use one of those for a long time and loved it. The only problem I has was stinging after shaving (salt on an open wound kinda hurts). Then suddenly it seemed to stop working. I don’t know if my hormones had something to do with it or I got a fake salt rock the second time I bought one, but there was definitely a reduction in the deodorant ability of the product. One of the tings I liked about the product was the longevity of it. A standard deodorant tube sized stone lasted me almost a year of daily use. When I bought it, I thought it was kind of expensive (at nearly $8 about 20 years ago). But a friend of mine swore it was worth it. It really was. Unfortunately, the next time I purchased a crystal deodorant, I didn’t see that same brand and bout a different one. It didn’t feel the same or work as well. The cool thing about the salt crystal is you can also use it on your feet if you have sweaty, stinky feet. (Personally, I would use a different one for my feet than for my pits; but, how many foot deodorants are on the market? Does anyone use their Secret on their feet and their pits?)

Totally different subject: you remember I said my air conditioner went out in 2013? Guess whose heater went out in 2018? Yup, this girl. I finally got a new heat pump!! This summer I will actually have central air, humidity will be abolished, and my soap won’t sweat. I can actually start making soap again. I haven’t made any in over a year because it’s been so discouraging having sweaty soap all over the place. Whatever soap I have in the house will be strictly personal use. Anything I make starting now will be for gifting/selling. It’ll be nice to get the mad scientist going again.

Dahila, IrishLass, cmzaha and 6 others like this.
  17. Nov 16, 2018 #577

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Well, I didn't use my stick deoderant on my feet, but when I used to wear a lot of dress shoes in the summer I would by the aerosol deoderant to spray my feet with. Worked a million times better than foot powder (and smelled nicer too).

18. Nov 20, 2018 #578

Saipan

Saipan

Saipan

Wow, I went away for a bit, and this thread exploded. Is there a recipe in here somewhere? Can anyone repost it for me or give a page number?

19. Nov 20, 2018 #579

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Well, there are a good handful of different recipes throughout this thread! For simplicity sake, here's mine: 60% magnesium hydroxide powder mixed with 40% babassu oil. I normally make it unscented, but sometimes I add a few drops of FO or EO if the mood strikes me. My favorite FO to add is dragon's blood.

It makes a deodorant with a creamy consistency that I apply with my fingertips. I should mention that my babassu oil is not the hydrogenated kind, so it's liquid at room temp. If you use a harder babassu that some vendors sell, the consistency of your deodorant will not turn out so creamy.

IrishLass :)

Saipan likes this.
  20. Nov 22, 2018 #580

Saipan

Saipan

Saipan

Is Magnesium hydroxide powder the same as Magnesium sterate?