de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gaisy59, I am so amazed yours was so draggy in Aruba. Without the added wax, mine melted on my armpits on contact. That was at 50/50 babassu to MgOH powder. I have never had to warm it up at all to use it, not even with the added wax.

Without the added wax, mine softened and melted enough to change the internal shape inside the deo-stick in my car truck inside my suitcase while driving in summer heat (thankfully it was in a plastic baggy, too, so no spread of product into the surrounding stuff in my suitcase). Of course, I do realize the small metal compartment of a car trunk traveling along in the hot sun does intensify the heat a lot more than inside the cabin of the car.
I knowwww but that sucker would just not soften up! Once i bought the softer one i used the rock hard one for soaping. But like i said it trvelled wonderfully cause it would not melt

Just adding to the melting point conversation. My babassu melts if I look at it, I got it from lotioncraftier. I started mixing up my own in April (I think) and the consistency stayed solid enough then but as soon as outside temps hit over 70F I needed to start adding stuff to keep it from separating due to melting point.

My current batch is:
1g steric acid
10g babassu
10g mag hydroxide

It makes a nice paste but the steric is slightly grainy. I’m thinking of adding ewax in my next batch to see if that helps any. Ideally I’d like a solid to use a tube but I’m good with what I have if I never get there.

I’ll note that I did try beeswax but it clogged my pores, don’t remember the percentage I used through
Hey BattleGnome that is the babassu i have now. It starts to melt as soon as it hits the pits. However this does not travel well so i have to travel with it in leakproof container. I like both oils but the softer one is definitely easier for day to day application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much of the hardness/softness issue is in where y'all live. I'm noticing some are in Canada and some are in the southern states (like me). I'm not having any issues with melting points of the oil or dragging. I'm still on my first 7# bottle of babbasu oil I purchased from Soaper's Choice. I keep the oil in the fridge. When I got the jug, I melted it in hot water and poured it into clean quart mason jars so it would be easier to access when I need to make more deodorant. I keep it in the spare fridge in the garage. I melt it down in warm water. I must have purchased the higher melting point kind. I didn't know there were two different ones.

I keep my deodorant on the bathroom counter. I still haven't gotten my central air conditioner fixed, so it gets pretty warm in there. My latest batch was 68% oil, 23% magnesium hydroxide, 7% emulsifier, 2% deodorant additive from Bramble Berry and 1% optiphen. I used the preservative because the additive is water soluble and I thought I'd better add it and not need it than need it and not have it. I decided to try the enzyme deodorant additive from Bramble Berry to see if it worked better. It didn't. However, I only used the lower end of the spectrum; you can use up to 5% in your product. I didn't want to start out with a high amount. I'll probably try a few more formulations just "because." A friend of mine said the deodorant I made (50/50 with babassau and magnesium hydroxide) did not work at all for her.

I'll probably go back to the 50/50 blend; I'm most confident with that one. And the Dragon Blood fragrance oil. That lasts all day even though I only use a little bit of FO in the mix. But I still want to continue to experiment with the additive from Bramble Berry. It might work for my stinky friend. ;)

ANYWAY. Having the higher oil content still doesn't have a messy meltdown in the tube. It does go on gloopier though. I have to be careful when applying because it's softer and my body is warmer than in winter. Not a good combination when putting on oil-based deodorant.

Hi Theresa nice to hear from you. I see you suffer from IBS and so do i. I dont want to step into any medical areas but mygirlfriend is a dietitian and she suggested i try the low FODMAP diet as did my family physician. It has alleviated a great deal of my symptoms. Not saying it will help you, but at least it is something you can do some research on and/or give it a try.

I have no idea what FODMAP is, but I'll look it up and do some research. Thanks for the tip. I've been doing pretty well with the diet lately. I've lost 15 pounds over the past two months (not a lot, but a lot in such a short time). I've also noticed that I am far more satiated and happier with mostly crunchy foods like celery, cauliflower, radishes and peppers. And cheese; I do really well with cheese and triscuits. Weird, but true. If I don't have those, I tend to eat aimlessly.

Could you add a bit of shea butter to the recipe to reduce drag?

Schmidt's makes a deo with magnesium hydroxide now.... ingredients are: Magnesium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Maranta Arundinacea (arrowroot) Powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Butyrospermum Parkii (shea butter), Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Fragrance, Tocopherol (vitamin E; sunflower-derived).

Schmidt's makes a deo with magnesium hydroxide now.... ingredients are: Magnesium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Maranta Arundinacea (arrowroot) Powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Butyrospermum Parkii (shea butter), Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Fragrance, Tocopherol (vitamin E; sunflower-derived).
oh it must stain clothes and be greasy, Greasy is why people do not buy deos with a lot of oils. Coconut oil stains clothes and nothing will wash the stain off :)

Could you add a bit of shea butter to the recipe to reduce drag?

Shea melts at about the same temp as babassu (at least the higher melt temp version) and we know already that the babassu-only version has a tendency to be too melty. If anything, it would be nice to raise the melt temp.

Babassu is a top choice for being easy to wash out of fabrics, but shea is tough to remove. For me, one of the big benefits of the babassu-mag Hydroxide deo is that it does not make permanent stains and washes out well.

And then there's the issue that some people are sensitive to shea, and that sensitivity could be aggravated by putting the deo on delicate underarm skin.

I don't know that shea is a step in the right direction.

Do any of you sell? I wouldn't mind purchasing a sample before I order the expensive ingredients just to find out it doesn't work.
I checked etsy but all the natural deo there is coconut and baking soda.

Obsidian, I don't sell, but I'd be happy to send you a small amount of each ingredient you don't have if you want to try it out yourself. 50 grams of babassu and 50 grams of MgOH powder makes about enough to fill my 2-ounce deodorant tubes about 1 and a 3/4 full, but it depends on what size tubes you might have on hand. You can save an old tube from commercial deodorant and clean it to re-use. I've actually got a couple of those, but you might feel better not using someone else's used deo tube. ;)

I'd suggest trying a plain 50:50 mix first, and if you want add 1% of your favorite FO. My babassu stays solid at room temperature, so you should have no trouble with it melting before you use it. Let me know if you want me to send you some.

I have not used any type of underarm anything for three years. Your body gets used to it and doesn't produce the smell. You are suppose to sweat to cool your body off. Strictly soap to shower with and I don't stink:) or at least everyone tells me I smell good. Ha Ha
Eek, I wish someone would tell my Mother's body that it does not need to produce a smell. She claims that as she does not shave her pits it wicks the moisture away from her body and therefore it produces no smell. There are some days in summer where I have to say something as the only way I can drive without my eyes watering is to have the car window open. Gag, wretch and double gag.

My dh quit wearing deodorant a while back. He claims it's because it's not good for you but I believe that it's because he is very lazy and he's an aspie. He still smells....

Looks like New Directions sells the harder babassu butter (at least it appears that way from the picture).

oh it must stain clothes and be greasy, Greasy is why people do not buy deos with a lot of oils. Coconut oil stains clothes and nothing will wash the stain off :)
I actually bought a tube because I was curious about it. It isn't greasy at all but didn't work any better than what I was already using.

I have no idea what FODMAP is, but I'll look it up and do some research. Thanks for the tip. I've been doing pretty well with the diet lately. I've lost 15 pounds over the past two months (not a lot, but a lot in such a short time). I've also noticed that I am far more satiated and happier with mostly crunchy foods like celery, cauliflower, radishes and peppers. And cheese; I do really well with cheese and triscuits. Weird, but true. If I don't have those, I tend to eat aimlessly.
I hear ya girl! Cheese does fill that hole lol. But not to take away from this post, if you have questions just ask me.

Looks like New Directions sells the harder babassu butter (at least it appears that way from the picture).
YES! That is the one i stumbled on first! That one is hard like a rock and it is great for travelling, but for everyday use a pain. I know Teresa said Canadian vs warmer southern states but i had it in +34 celcius and that baby did not soften!

Jumping in on the deo conversation... there was a deo powder that was part of the Home Sweet Home swap January 2017, I've lost the majority of my notes during the moving process, but maybe it was someone in this thread that made it. That stuff is awesome! I only struggle during some of the summer months so I can predict when I will need to use the powder. I use a cotton ball (new one every time) to apply it put my deoderant over the top, and I am dry as a bone all day! I love that stuff. So if one of you made it, or know who made, or if there is a thread with the recipe (poop, just occurred to me it might even be in this thread) please point me in the right direction! I <3 that stuff and will be sad when I run out. Not to mention stinky.

I remember back when Gaisy first asked me about where I buy my babassu and then told me of her hard babassu conundrum that she bought from New Directions. I looked up the MSDS of the babassu New Directions was selling at the time and it listed it as having a melting point of between 86 degreesF (30C) to to 96 degreesF (36C). I buy mine from LotionCrafter and the MSDS for theirs lists a melting point of 76 degreesF (24.5C).

From the above, it sounds like babassu can come in 2 forms just like coconut oil, i.e., coconut oil 76 and coconut oil 92.

Out of curiosity, I just revisited New Directions MSDS page for their babassu again and noticed that it interestingly no longer lists a melting point for it. Unless my eyes are going crazy, I cannot see it anywhere on the MSDS. I do see that they recently updated their babassu MSDS info since the last time I checked, though (updated last month on June 25).

My LotionCrafter babassu is completely liquid at room temp in the summer months when we keep the central air conditioning set to 78F/25.5C. All I need to do is let it sit on my counter for a spell and it melts all on its own. In the winter when we keep our thermostat set to about 70F/21C, it stays solid at room temp, but melts on contact with my skin.

IrishLass :)

Jumping in on the deo conversation... there was a deo powder that was part of the Home Sweet Home swap January 2017, I've lost the majority of my notes during the moving process, but maybe it was someone in this thread that made it. That stuff is awesome! I only struggle during some of the summer months so I can predict when I will need to use the powder. I use a cotton ball (new one every time) to apply it put my deoderant over the top, and I am dry as a bone all day! I love that stuff. So if one of you made it, or know who made, or if there is a thread with the recipe (poop, just occurred to me it might even be in this thread) please point me in the right direction! I <3 that stuff and will be sad when I run out. Not to mention stinky.

I just looked up the Home Sweet Home comments threads and saw that Teresa had contributed her Un-talcum Powder to the swap. You can find her recipe here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/un-talcum-powder.63705/

And my babassu from Majestic Mountain Sage is definitely solid at 80 F (26 C). It melts instantly on my skin, but is solid in the jar. Interesting!

20180731_142338 800.jpg

And my babassu from Majestic Mountain Sage is definitely solid at 80 F (26 C). It melts instantly on my skin, but is solid in the jar. Interesting!

View attachment 31414
Hey DeeAnna that is what my second order looked like. If you look at New Directions pics those look like rocks and this one is solid but has a softer texture. Definitely two different types. Unfortunately i cannot find the information on Google that can differentiate the two. Might be how im wording my request. I will keep trying.

I checked my shelves and found some babassu that has been around for far too long (I used to use it in my lotion recipe but then quit making lotion). What I have is pretty darn soft and smells horrible. I know that coconut will stain clothing and you're saying that babassu won't?

Me again!! I'm glad you like it and found it useful. I use it every day and can't live without it. It keeps me dry in the humidity.

I just looked up the Home Sweet Home comments threads and saw that Teresa had contributed her Un-talcum Powder to the swap. You can find her recipe here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/un-talcum-powder.63705/

Thanks for looking this up. I'm so glad it's been helpful for people. As I said above, I can't live without it.

BTW: I haven't looked at that thread in a while. If you want to add fragrance to the powder, I've found the best way to do it is to put it on a cotton ball or cotton pad and put that in the powder and shake it. Seal the powder with the cotton for a few days and the powder will absorb the fragrance. The longer you keep the cotton in the powder, the more fragrance it will absorb. I usually just toss the cotton in the container and leave it. However, if you want to sell or gift it, people might be upset to find a wad of cotton in their powder.

Do any of you sell? I wouldn't mind purchasing a sample before I order the expensive ingredients just to find out it doesn't work.
I checked etsy but all the natural deo there is coconut and baking soda.

I don't sell either; however, you are more than welcome to sample my deodorant and/or I can send you a few empty deodorant tubes. I think I bought 50 2 oz sized containers and caps the last time I purchased them. (I've got a most of them left.) You can message me if you're interested. I can drop them in the mail for you. I've got a tube of the deo with the Bramble Berry additive in it at 2%. I need to make up some with just babbasu and mag; I can toss one of each in the mail and you can see if either work for you. I could use some guinea pits. See what I did there...

If it smells bad, I wouldn't use it. My babassu has a faint but pleasant odor.

My friend who is a professional massage therapist likes coconut oil as a base for her massage lotions, and she says it washes out of her sheets pretty well. But people who have used coconut and other fats in deodorant concoctions say it can stain the underarm area as time goes on. I have been using the babassu mag hydroxide deo regularly for roughly 1 1/2 years and I don't see any staining or build up on my clothing.

Latest posts

Back