de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update from someone who has been using magnesium hydroxide for months now: I became too rushed to do the daily mix with babassu oil so began using only magnesium hydroxide (powder) and it's been working great for me despite the awful heat and humidity here, even when I've been working outside all day.

I had run out of the magnesium hydroxide-babassu deodorant and was using my standby Toms deo for the last week or two. Today was a particularly sticky and sweaty day, and I could tell it -- by lunchtime, I was offending myself and was pretty sure others might notice the aroma too if I had to work near another person. (That wasn't a problem today, but ya never know!)

At noon, I did what I seldom do -- applied a second coat of deo. Rather than use more of the Toms, I dug a fingertip bit of the MH-B deo from the residue left in the container and applied it to each pit. A large amount of the stink went away -- what aroma I can smell is acceptable to me and would not offend others.

What was odd is that I also thought I was sweating a little less in the underarm area after using the MH-B deo. I know this is not supposed to be an antiperspirant, and I don't expect that, but I'll pass this tidbit along in case others have noticed this too.

Yes, DeeAnna, I have noticed that as well. My underarms don't seem to get as sweaty when I'm wearing the MH, even when I'm outside in the southern heat and humidity all day long.

And I'm using MOM (Milk of Magnesia) in a spray mist container all over before bed time after reading a post on Wellness Mama about the benefits of magnesium absorbed by the skin. As for the DIY deodorant with magnesium powder + babasu oil, it's the best ever! I was gifted with a full-size container from a SMF member and I'm loving it. I just wish I was stinkier so I could give it a real test. I should give it to one of our "boys" (age 57) who doesn't bother with deodorant (Ugh) -- don't want to be down wind if him, I tell ya -- but I don't want to part with it. LOL

ETA: Link to Wellness Mama's article about MOM spray (Too easy!):

https://wellnessmama.com/5804/magnesium-oil/

This magnesium oil calls for magnesium chloride flakes, and the deodorant everyone is making (and I'd like to make soon!) is magnesium hydroxide. Does anyone know what the difference is, if any?

same observation here, less sweat almost none, After 10 hours on very humid day in Market I could smell light 'aroma' but it was already 6 pm. What it helps me in very hot day, deo followed by my powder, which also contain MH, under the b, and arms, works incredibly well .

Magnesium Hydroxide the powder we use, Magnesium Chloride is the one you use to make MOM,
Magnesium Chloride
This is likely the most popular mineral magnesium. Magnesium chloride is commonly found in sea water. It’s believed to have the highest bioavailability of mineral magnesiums and can be supplemented as a capsule or a liquid.
Magnesium Oxide and Hydroxide
Magnesium oxide is a mineral compound commonly found in the earth’s crust. It has very low bioavailability and is considered the least optimal form of magnesium to supplement.

Magnesium oxide is often used in milk of magnesia products since it has a strong laxative effect. That in itself is a red flag for those looking to increase magnesium levels; as a general rule, loose stools from magnesium supplementation are a sign that your body isn’t fully absorbing the magnesium or that you’re taking too much.

Unfortunately, this type of magnesium is commonly used in supplements due to its low cost.
This is what I found but I do not think it is right info about MH, We must wait for DeeAnna :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"...less sweat almost none..."
"...I am experiencing reduced moisture under 'dem pits...."
"...My underarms don't seem to get as sweaty...."

Huh. So it's not just my imagination. Well, that's very good to know! :mrgreen: I have GOT to raise the priority on making more MH-B deo. DH and I are cutting and splitting wood lately and working in our yard, garden, and his elderberry patch -- all are hot, dirty, sweaty jobs. And the pressure is up in my day job -- we have several large orders to get out before the end of the month. The big orders really help pay the bills, but they raise the stress level.

As far as using mag-chloride rather than mag-hydroxide to make deodorant, I don't have any great words of wisdom.

Mag-chloride is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air) so it may cause a deodorant mixture to change texture and maybe even get goopy as the mixture absorbs water. Mag-hydroxide is not hygroscopic in the open air (what mag-hydroxide does when ingested is a different story).

I'm not familiar with mag-chloride as purchased -- if it is large scratchy crystals, the texture may be irritating to delicate armpit skin. Mag-hydroxide is a fine powder.

I get the impression that some magnesium from mag-chloride is absorbed into the body through the skin. Excess magnesium in the body is largely excreted through the kidneys, but it may cause diarrhea and intestinal upset if enough is absorbed. Apparently very little magnesium from the mag-hydroxide is absorbed through the skin. Mag-hydroxide and mag-chloride are both considered to have overall low toxicity to humans.

I guess you'll have to try it and see what you think. Report back -- I'm sure others will want to know how this works.

Last edited:
I haven't ordered anything yet, but was looking at the (supposed) benefits of magnesium and got confused about the different types. I'd rather not have to buy different kinds, but sounds like I might not have a choice really.

I'm at work, but I can give you the powder recipe when I get home. I'll put it in a new thread if no one has started one yet. For the Home Sweet Home swap, I added a sample of the powder for everyone. It's got a really nice soft texture.

Did a powder thread ever get started? I have been watching for it but may have missed it.

Thanks!

Did a powder thread ever get started? I have been watching for it but may have missed it.

Thanks!

Here it is: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=647684

Three days ago I finally got around to making another tube of this deodorant. This time I wanted to used Dahila's method. I was going to use e-wax, but did not have any. I thought of trying stearic acid, which I do have, but went with the beeswax instead.

My formula for 110grams:

50 grams Magnesium Hydroxide
50 grams Babassu
9 grams Beeswax
1 gram Dragon's Blood FO

It took about 45 seconds (in shorter bursts) to melt the beeswax in the oil in the microwave oven; I had already melted the babassu in a warm water bath in my kitchen sink. I mixed the rest using a whisk & poured into a clean, disinfected (with alcohol), dry roll-up deodorant tube. It had begun to thicken up pretty fast, so I had a solid droplet on the pour spout of my measuring cup by the time I had finished filling the deo tube.

40% Magnesium hydroxide , 48 Babassu, 10 Beeswax there is also 1% of essential oils and VE ( 0.2%).

I don't know what VE is and cannot find it in the acronym list here on the forum, but this was my guide for my newer formula.

bought a 97¢ tube of deodorant to get the tube. ...I made up a 45% babassu, 45% mag h, and 10% beeswax mix for that weight. ... Then, since I could not bring myself to waste ANYTHING, I added in the bit of left over bab/mag I had in my bathroom (which had been mixed by sight not weight), and some leftover melted beeswax. I had no idea what the amounts of any of that were. So it's an extremely unscientific mixture.
It felt like I had rubbed a candle on my armpits and I think if I use it as is it will clog my pores and make pimples. So I'm going to remelt everything and double the amounts of bab/mag that I previously put in and try that. Plus this will give me a chance to add EO for scent, which I meant to do and forgot. All the leftovers can stay in the melting cup until I need to refill the tube so no waste. But it sure is nice to have it in a tube!!

I wanted to use a small tube like this, too, especially for when I travel, so bought one last time Hubby & I stayed in Chicago (we had missed our train back home, so ended up spending an unplanned overnight without any personal overnight items.) But when it came down to it, I was too lazy to go in search of said tube, so I only made a full deodorant tube of it this time.

However, 110 grams was more than I needed for the larger tube, and only filled a small portion of a condiment cup. So I went and got what I had left from another small condiment cup that I had leftover the last time I made the 50:50 mixture, remelted the new mixture and added them together. It may be a better fit into the 0.5 ounce deo tube that I bought in Chicago. I have since gone into my luggage to find it and bring it out so I can try it before we go to Carbondale for the Eclipse. That will be the perfect test for this travel size tube with beeswax. (I get what you said about the fragrance in the store bought deodorant; I just sniffed it and I HATE it. It didn't seem so bad when we had been walking all day in the heat in Chicago, but here in the comfort of my own home, I can't say I like it at all!)

my formula works perfect

50:50 mix of babassu and mag hydroxide. I added a bit of lavender and rosemary EOs to lightly scent it.

I'm pondering what could be added to the mix to ensure the deo remains solid but with a more glidy texture. I'm wondering if stearic acid might be helpful to raise the melt point of the product and improve the glidy-ness -- it's used in lotions and scrubs as a thickener, so why not in this? Another possibility would be a soap (sodium stearate) made from stearic acid and NaOH. If anyone has any thoughts on this ... I'm all ears.

Yes, an emulsifier like e-wax or emulsifying conditioner (BTMS) might also be options for making the deo firm at higher temperatures and perhaps more glidy.

DeeAnna I made one with Ewax and it is perfect , just exchanged beeswax for ewax, glidy and nice

Okay, so I have used the beeswax containing formula for a couple of days, and I expect by the time the bottle is close to empty I will be used to the waxy feel when I roll it on. But the idea of it being more glidy while at the same time being more solid and less meltable in the high heats I get when I travel, is really appealing. That's why I want to try the e-wax next time.

I actually just got done using up a small 1oz tub of my babassu/magnesium deodorant scented with Dragon's Blood FO. It didn't stain my clothes or my skin. I didn't use a whole lot of it though- maybe just 2 or 3 drops in my 1oz-worth of deodorant- just enough to give it a light scent without it being overpowering.
IrishLass

I am really really liking the Dragon's Blood FO in this deodorant! I used just under 1% (1 gram to a total of 110 grams) and it's still pretty subtle. I think I could go a bit higher next time without it becoming overpowering.

"...less sweat almost none..."
"...I am experiencing reduced moisture under 'dem pits...."
"...My underarms don't seem to get as sweaty...."

So far so good! It's interesting that there is less actual wetness.

Now on to the extended use of the new-to-me formula with the beeswax.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...I am really really liking the Dragon's Blood FO in this deodorant! I used just under 1%..."

I made a tiny batch of MH-B deodorant tonight with cetyl alcohol to (hopefully) raise the melt point and (hopefully) add some glide and less MH to (hopefully) make the mixture less draggy. And hopefully it will still control odor. A tall order, I know. I will report back with recipe and results when I get some experience with this variant. But the story I wanted to share is this --

I had every intention of adding 1% of Carolyn's Dragon's Blood per your suggestion, Earlene, but my nose said STOP! by the time I'd added just 0.5%. Boy howdy, is this FO strong! I think 0.5% is going to be plenty strong enough for me. Isn't it funny how noses are so different? :)

Thank you, Dahila. So I guess my next step is to buy some e-wax to try the next time I make this. Since a bottle lasts me so long, I won't need it right away, but since I don't have any thought I'd ask if it matters which e-wax to get? Since I only recall you posting about using e-wax (maybe one other person may have tried it, too; I am unsure), what kind did you use?

ETA: DeeAnna, the DB I used was Mad Oils, and I am not sure how it compares as I haven't used Carolyn's yet. :-?

If you have a chance to try Carolyn's, I'd enjoy hearing about your perception of the differences between hers and Mad Oils. I love Carolyn's, but I haven't tried any others, so I'm certain I'm unfairly biased. I wiped up a tiny droplet of the deo that flicked onto the counter, and now I can't stop smelling the DB on my fingertip. Maybe that's TMI, but her FO smells soooo good.

Earlene it could be any emulsifier you have , the most luxurious would be BMTS-50 . I have Emulsifying wax NF, it is INCI: Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60
BMTS-50 INCI name Behentrimonium methosulfate (and) Cetyl Alcohol (and) Butylene Glycol
Knowing the inci names will help you to find what you need. :) I will try one with Emulsimulse too, it is dry similar feel as BMTS-50

I'm doubtful about using any type of wax in this type of product. What people are seeing with coconut oil and the butters (shea, cocoa, etc), these tend to accumulate in and discolor fabric. The point of using babassu oil is that people have found this specific fat is less staining and easier to wash out -- even better than coconut oil, which is often touted as being fairly easy to wash out.

To me, adding a wax to this deodorant recipe seems to be a big step in the wrong direction. Waxes don't wash out easily and I'm quite concerned they will build up in fabric without strict attention to pretreating.

I think the better way to go if one wants to improve the texture and melt point of the deo is to look at emulsifiers and thickeners normally used in lotions -- ingredients that are more soluble in water and less likely to build up and stain fabric.

edit: Just to be clear for those who might not know, e-wax (emulsifying wax) is an emulsifier, despite the poor choice of name. It is not a wax in the sense that candelilla and beeswax are waxes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back