Dark Brown Soap- Mix&Pour Base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Can a FO turn a mix and pour soap base dark brown? Should a vanilla stabilizer be used? Would TD keep the soap from turning brown? I used a new fo, Birthday Cake and another, Sugar Cookie from Fragrance Buddy. Both soaps turned dark brown after a week. I wrapped them like I do for other soaps, the day after they were made. This is the first time my soaps turned brown on me. If I remelt, add TD, would I need to add more FO, or should the fragrance still be there? This is very discouraging for me.

Yes, the FO can turn M&P base brown. If you want to try melting the soap to add TD, I'd just do one or two bars to test. The TD has to be dispersed in either oil or water, and you can't really add much of either to M&P. Depending on how much fragrance you used to start with, you have to be sure you stay within the IFRA guidelines for safe skin use. The FO should still be fine if you don't overheat while melting.

Vanilla stabilizer works for me with CP, but I don't know about M&P. It wouldn't help to add it after the fact, though.

In a word, yes. I just don't know if a stabilizer would be effective.
Thank You for your reply.

Yes, the FO can turn M&P base brown. If you want to try melting the soap to add TD, I'd just do one or two bars to test. The TD has to be dispersed in either oil or water, and you can't really add much of either to M&P. Depending on how much fragrance you used to start with, you have to be sure you stay within the IFRA guidelines for safe skin use. The FO should still be fine if you don't overheat while melting.

Vanilla stabilizer works for me with CP, but I don't know about M&P. It wouldn't help to add it after the fact, though.
Yes, I stayed within the IFRA guidelines. With the Birthday Cake fo, I’m sure there was a higher end level of vanillin in it compared to other fo’s that use vanillin. I’m just going to use the soap since it smells so good and bubbles wonderfully. 🥰

Yes, I stayed within the IFRA guidelines. With the Birthday Cake fo, I’m sure there was a higher end level of vanillin in it compared to other fo’s that use vanillin. I’m just going to use the soap since it smells so good and bubbles wonderfully. 🥰
I assumed you were within the IFRA guidelines. I should have said, if you are adding more FO to be sure you were still within the guidelines. Brown soap isn't the end of the world - enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back