Dark and Stormy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Here is my latest batch. Can anyone tell me why the sides and bottom of every bar are smooth as glass but the inside has a rougher feel to it. I cut less than 24hrs after making it. Wrapped in heating pad and towels. Definitely no partial gel. If I left it in the mold much longer would the inside face of the bars be as smooth as the outside edges?

Attachments

• 3BB1F07E-0828-42F4-B1FC-DC7C619E76EE.jpeg
    3BB1F07E-0828-42F4-B1FC-DC7C619E76EE.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 72
That swirl is gorgeous! Very dynamic, I love the colour scheme, and the name.

The light sprinkles appear like stearic spots (unlikely if you used a heating mat, but who knows?) and/or air bubbles to me.
I suppose you made the blue colour with some kind of indigo? Unfortunately, indigo is notorious for fading at the outside, and appears muted, like ash instead (or disappears altogether). I haven't found yet a remedy for this either.

That swirl is gorgeous! Very dynamic, I love the colour scheme, and the name.

The light sprinkles appear like stearic spots (unlikely if you used a heating mat, but who knows?) and/or air bubbles to me.
I suppose you made the blue colour with some kind of indigo? Unfortunately, indigo is notorious for fading at the outside, and appears muted, like ash instead (or disappears altogether). I haven't found yet a remedy for this either.
Good call on the indigo. It was indigo from Nurture Soaps. IPhone camera made it more blue than it is. Sprinkles are probably air bubbles as I used my stick blender which I usually try to avoid but was too impatient to stir last night.

As I feared, the indigo morphed into a grayish color and no trace of any blue left at all. If I use it again I think I will try and split my lye solution up and add the indigo to the lye solution instead of to the batter like any other mica.

Back