Dandelion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@cmzaha's pork sounds wonderful, as does @Dahila's pork belly. How about some greens now? The keto people may not be happy but I enjoy it all. It's spring and that means warm dandelion salad for us, a meal in itself. Just a made up recipe so cannot give exact quantities. Gather, clean and chop wild dandelion. Add some chopped onion. Use a cooking pot to fry as much bacon as you want (just thinking, pork belly would be good in this) Take out the bacon, leaving as much fat in the pot as you want. (it needs a good amount) Cook some potatoes in this same pot but don't use an overabundance of water because you don't want to drain them after cooking. I will say you need more potatoes than you might think. Meanwhile cook some hard boiled eggs. When the potatoes are soft, use a potato masher to mash them. Add vinegar, salt & pepper. When they taste like you like with a good balance of bacon fat, vinegar, s&p, mix them in the bowl with the dandelion and onion. Chop hard boiled eggs over the top and head to the table! If you cook too many potatoes, they're delicious left over. I always find it a challenge to have it proportioned like we like it...just enough mashed potatoes to hold the greens and bacon together.

In fall & winter I use escarole in place of dandelion.

Does dandelion have a bitter taste to it? Also, There's no way I'm gathering dandelions where I live- that would be disgusting on too many levels.

Does dandelion have a bitter taste to it? Also, There's no way I'm gathering dandelions where I live- that would be disgusting on too many levels.
Yes it is rather bitter but in with mashed potatoes, bacon and eggs, it's not noticeable. Or maybe I'm just used to it. We live in the country with woods all around us, so yes there's wildlife but I wash it at least 3 times. There's no spraying being done. But you could always buy the store kind.

Yes it is rather bitter but in with mashed potatoes, bacon and eggs, it's not noticeable. Or maybe I'm just used to it. We live in the country with woods all around us, so yes there's wildlife but I wash it at least 3 times. There's no spraying being done. But you could always buy the store kind.
That's the plan, if I can find it. I don't know if I can go to a smaller grocery story.

Got some Dandelions growing in the garden, for the rabbit 🐰. Can't eat her food :).

Dandelion is supposed to help the liver, according to traditional chinese medicine.
They made teas out of it and drink it hot.

Too much dandelion for someone that isn't used to it can cause you to vomit so be careful!

it is extremely bitter, for regulation blood glucose , helping with pancreas, dig out whole dandelion, wash well everything , cut it in pieces, dry in dark dry room . Then make a glass of tea every day ;)

@cmzaha's pork sounds wonderful, as does @Dahila's pork belly. How about some greens now? The keto people may not be happy but I enjoy it all. It's spring and that means warm dandelion salad for us, a meal in itself. Just a made up recipe so cannot give exact quantities. Gather, clean and chop wild dandelion. Add some chopped onion. Use a cooking pot to fry as much bacon as you want (just thinking, pork belly would be good in this) Take out the bacon, leaving as much fat in the pot as you want. (it needs a good amount) Cook some potatoes in this same pot but don't use an overabundance of water because you don't want to drain them after cooking. I will say you need more potatoes than you might think. Meanwhile cook some hard boiled eggs. When the potatoes are soft, use a potato masher to mash them. Add vinegar, salt & pepper. When they taste like you like with a good balance of bacon fat, vinegar, s&p, mix them in the bowl with the dandelion and onion. Chop hard boiled eggs over the top and head to the table! If you cook too many potatoes, they're delicious left over. I always find it a challenge to have it proportioned like we like it...just enough mashed potatoes to hold the greens and bacon together.

In fall & winter I use escarole in place of dandelion.
oh I live on veggies and high protein and fat, I limited my fruit intake to one apple a day or few berries but every day . Veggies are what provide fiber and a lot of other things, I would not call my diet Keto :) I am on less carbs than Keto allows

Too much dandelion for someone that isn't used to it can cause you to vomit so be careful!
I can't imagine how much you would have to eat to vomit! We only eat dandelion a few times in the spring but we'll have it every day for awhile. And we pile our plates high with above recipe.

it is extremely bitter, for regulation blood glucose , helping with pancreas, dig out whole dandelion, wash well everything , cut it in pieces, dry in dark dry room . Then make a glass of tea every day ;)
The tea must be much more bitter than the fresh. We don't find it very bitter at all. But people are generally not used to bitter and sour, just sweet and salty.

I can't imagine how much you would have to eat to vomit! We only eat dandelion a few times in the spring but we'll have it every day for awhile. And we pile our plates high with above recipe.

The tea must be much more bitter than the fresh. We don't find it very bitter at all. But people are generally not used to bitter and sour, just sweet and salty.
I do not mind, my whole life I am drinking numerous herbals so I am used to bitter or grassy taste :) I do not add anything when I make teast, no sugar not honey nothing

I do not mind, my whole life I am drinking numerous herbals so I am used to bitter or grassy taste :) I do not add anything when I make teast, no sugar not honey nothing
We should all follow your example!
i overdid it once and vomited it out Bc the bitter wasn’t balanced with fats. it was years ago and I think I juiced it? but I have a sensitive tummy so don’t be scared to try it.
In America people eat lots of sweet and salty. We definitely need more bitter and sour in our diet to balance out everything.

Hinata I had at least 55 years to get used to bitter taste, as soon as I quit sugar completely quit , I start to find bitternsk, pretty easy on my taste buds, Maybe it has something to do with that sugar?

Yeah when you have a SAD diet (standard American diet lol) you gotta slowly make changes. Otherwise you can overwhelms your system. But I also have a sensitive stomach and I juiced it. Knowing myself I must’ve definitely overdid it! Haha

Teecino has a dandelion variety of their coffee substitute. I find it delicious but a touch easier to drink black than coffee. I will never drink coffee black as I can never get used to it. Tea is a different story.

Teecino has a dandelion variety of their coffee substitute. I find it delicious but a touch easier to drink black than coffee. I will never drink coffee black as I can never get used to it. Tea is a different story.
There is a blend at the health food store called Dandy Blend. You can also order it online. We use a lot of it.

I used to gather dandelion leaves from my garden when I lived in the mountains. I don't here because of pesticides that an travel from nearby neighbors or even nearby farms. I was pleased to see dandelion leaves in the produce department at Wegman's in NY when I was there a few years ago. Not something I see in any grocery stores around here, though.

Dandelion leaves are a diuretic and make you pee, dandelion roots are cleansing for the liver. I'm going to try the salad, it sounds wonderful. We took up all of our lawn years ago and have been sheet mulching and planting native plants since then, so we have lots of spontaneous plants popping up. There's always dandelion, violets, and purslane to eat, goosegrass and plantain. I only pick from the backyard, not the front yard near the street.

Latest posts

Back