Dandelion soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
In what ways can I use dandelion leaves and flowers to make soap?

You could make a tea to mix with lye or dry the plant matter and infuse in oil. They will turn your soap brown though.
If you want a nice natural yellow, use calendula petals.

You can use them to infuse oil. There are quite a few recipes for lotion bars using dandelion, online. Maybe start there and adapt as you want to. I haven't tried dandelion yet, but I would assume it would work similar to calendula or marigold.

Does anyone have issues with the dandelion causing skin irritation? I made the soaping101 recipe for not petroleum jelly, it has infused dandelion and it makes my skin itch like crazy. I can only use it on my feet.
Its a great recipe, will omit the dandelion next time or maybe use calendula instead.

Does anyone have issues with the dandelion causing skin irritation? I made the soaping101 recipe for not petroleum jelly, it has infused dandelion and it makes my skin itch like crazy. I can only use it on my feet.
Its a great recipe, will omit the dandelion next time or maybe use calendula instead.
I have not had an issue with the dandelion and I've used it in a few different products.

I'm not allergic to dandelion but I do have pollen allergies, suppose that is the cause. It also made my lips burn when I tried it as a gloss, weird.

I would dry them first and then infuse them in oil. I personally bought dried dandelion leaves from Mountain Rose Herbs and infused in olive oil.
This is just so foreign to me. Whenever I read of people buying dandelion, I'm always surprised. This is our yard just now. I just have to step outside and pick to my heart's content.

20200510_133138.jpg

My yard looks about the same. We didn't mow so the bees would have something to eat.
The only way I would buy them is if I wanted to eat the greens, even then I can find good clean ones if I look hard enough

This is just so foreign to me. Whenever I read of people buying dandelion, I'm always surprised. This is our yard just now. I just have to step outside and pick to my heart's content.
It's probably because due to my laziness 😊. Also my gardner kills all the weeds regularly and I hardly see them in my yard.

View attachment 45921
That's about what my yard look like the other day when my husband announced he was going to mow the lawn. I ran outside like a crazy person with a bag started grabbing them by the handfuls before he could start the mower..

Dandelion can cause allergic reactions, particularly in people with allergies to related plants like ragweed. Contact dermatitis can also occur in people with sensitive skin - this is a common thread on the internet when researching Dandelions. When I process them (after foraging) I feel the pollen does give me a slight allergy issue (and I'm pretty good with most things) so I am careful with them. I dry then infuse them in olive oil for a soap I do with honey.

They say in a salve the properties of Dandelion are soothing and moisturising for dry, cracked, and itchy skin it's anti-inflammatory properties are good for sore and tired muscles and joints. Like to know everyones thoughts in terms of soap, will any of these properties come through??

Dandelion can cause allergic reactions, particularly in people with allergies to related plants like ragweed. Contact dermatitis can also occur in people with sensitive skin - this is a common thread on the internet when researching Dandelions. When I process them (after foraging) I feel the pollen does give me a slight allergy issue (and I'm pretty good with most things) so I am careful with them. I dry then infuse them in olive oil for a soap I do with honey.

They say in a salve the properties of Dandelion are soothing and moisturising for dry, cracked, and itchy skin it's anti-inflammatory properties are good for sore and tired muscles and joints. Like to know everyones thoughts in terms of soap, will any of these properties come through??
Im not sure if the properties will come thtough but I hot process myself and I use the infused oil as the super fat after the cook

Lye is a very harsh and corosive chemical as we all know, which alters both fats and some metals, so it's hard to believe that it doesn't also alter whatever components in the fatty acids inside the material that carries these soothing or healing properties within dandelions. After all where and how are these properties provided in the dandelion (flower, leaf or root)? Surely it is not magical, but within it's elemental organic make-up. What is included in the organic make-up? Fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins (some fat-soluable, some water soluble), minerals, sugars, (more?). So my belief is that the soothing/healing properties of dandelion are either destroyed or greatly diminished by Lye. And don't forget the pH of soap would also factor in for any organic component introduced into the soap.

Latest posts

Back