Cylinder PVC Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even cap the bottom. I just double wrap with saran wrap and use rubber bands and some shipping tape to close the one end. Put the pipe into one of my plastic juice pitchers that I use for lye and wrap the part that's in the pitcher with a junky old towel. I leave the top portion unwrapped after pouring in the soap batter. I don't want a partial gel so I try to encourage it with the towel. That being said and after many years of fighting with the soap made in pvc, I gave up and bought some easier to use cylindrical molds from ED. They do have caps at the end and I do use them :)

One of the boxes that came with a long wooden mold inside is perfect for putting the PVC pipe in. I can stand it up behind a chair that's against the wall in my dining room where it will be secure and not able to tip over.

I made my first Pringles can soap. Love it! Also a YouTube video. Used BrambleBerry swirl soap recipe and Bramble Berry FO.
IMG_0583.JPG

My second PVC pipe soap . . . fail! Accelerated before I could even get it into the pipe. Shoved it in layers into a loaf mold. Kind of pretty when I cut it this morning. Tried again with a different fragrance oil. Lined short of top with thin plastic cutting matt. Poured layers of soap through a funnel. Was so enthralled I overfilled past my matt height. I was sweating with fear! So happy to hear I can get it out by freezing and whacking it on the concrete! I'll be trying that tonight. Thank you for the information.

Have you tried using freezer paper? Mine slid right out after uncapping the end. Let it stick out the top a little (bout 3/4"). Something to grab hold of later. No banging required. ;)

Last edited:
My husband made me 3" ABS pipe cylinder molds; ABS is just like PVC, except it is black, not white. I have tester caps for the bottom end, and he made a wooden box for me to use as a stand. It makes them nice and steady for filling up. And you do want to have a plan for filling without spilling!

The molds do get really warm and the soap will gel. However, I haven't had volcanoes even when using recipes that have honey or other accelerants.

The first few times, I did line these molds with freezer paper, but the wrinkles from the paper were annoying. I haven't lined them since then. The freezer trick works just fine for me. If they stick even a bit, just a few gentle taps on the counter makes them slide right out (no concrete whacking necessary).

I do have Dollar Store cutting mats and may try lining the cylinders with two of them at a time, because I'd honestly prefer my round soaps just a tad smaller than 3". I figured two of those mats on the inside would take off perhaps ⅛" to ¼" off the diameter. Sure hope so, because a 2.75" round bar would be perfect in my book.

@Ford thanks! We don’t eat Pringles, and I like reusable molds when at all possible. But I don’t want to pay for the BB cylinder mold which doesn’t have great reviews (plus I have placed myself on indefinite time-out with mold purchases). Let me know if you find anything else in that size which is cheap and repurposeable, please! 😂

Hi, just find the pipe with the inside diameter. That you require. The box stores will have the best/biggest selection. Also, plumbing, electrical pvc have slightly different inside diameters. So check both depts. no test caps(ends) at the orange box. But the blue box had them. Good luck.

Hi, just find the pipe with the inside diameter. That you require. The box stores will have the best/biggest selection. Also, plumbing, electrical pvc have slightly different inside diameters. So check both depts. no test caps(ends) at the orange box. But the blue box had them. Good luck.
Well, I had originally asked my husband to buy 2.5" PVC pipe. Turns out that no one makes it in that size. Bummer! And at least the 3" size does have test caps available.

Using a couple layers of the Dollar Store cutting mats inside may end up being my best option. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it!

The dollar store mats will be good for spacers. Might I recommend freezer paper? Between the mats and soap. After I insert paper into tube. I give a good puff of air into the bottom of the tube. This pushes the paper out tight against the side. I've had no problem with wrinkles. I also place the seam at 2 o'clock. in the tube. And the over lap up. When I pour the batter it flows over the seam. Rather than try to force it's way into it. Batter should be fairly fluid for this pour. Hope that makes sense. (i'm very ocd)

@Ford I’ve used freezer paper but honestly don’t find it necessary for non-stick purposes; the freezer trick works fine for me, and gives me wrinkle-free results every time. The mats are also non-stick, although I’ve only used them so far in slab molds. And not using paper is better for the environment, and leaves more $$$ for other soap
stuff. 😜

Latest posts

Back