Cutting your soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosies

Reaction score
:roll: This is a dumb newbie question but what do you use to cut your soap?
I want to get one of the handmade tray molds but don't want to wait for it to arrive to make a batch of soap. I'm just dying to try one and wonder what is the neatest way to cut it.
Also do you cut it when it sets up or wait till it cures?
I was so happy when I did a search and found this forum.
Thanks for your help.

When I make soap in my log molds, I use a wire cutter that our own Paul 'Soapmaker Man' sells for log soap. Before that, I used a ruler and a large steak knife, or else a crinkle cutter I bought from Pampered Chef.

When I make soap in my slab or tray mold, I cut with my big steak knife after measuring with a ruler and marking off notches on each end of the soap where to cut straight across. Then I line up my knife on the notches end to end and press straight down. My slab mold is such that the block of soap that comes out of it is small enough for my knife to span all the way across it horizontally to cut. I can cut the block into 3 separate logs. Then I use my knife to cut the 3 logs into separate bars. If my slab mold were any bigger than it is I would need something that is called a log splitter. Paul makes those, too.

I cut my soap just as soon as it's cooled down enough and set up. Depending on my soap formula, that could be anywhere from 6 hours to 14 hours. Hope that helps!

IrishLass :)

I happened to make bread when I was getting started soaping and so I just used my dough blade. It is a big stainless blade with a handle on top. I still use it. Just google it and maybe you can find a picture.

It is not a dumb question. I wondered the same thing when I was getting started. Good Luck and please keeping asking those questions. :) :)

Thanks Irish Lass for the referral. 8)

Here is my TOG Multi Cutter with both a wavy blade and a straight blade like Laurie mentioned, and it's on sale for fourm members! :)

econoadjustablecuttere007.jpg

econoadjustablecuttere005.jpg

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a tape knife - used for installing drywall. They are cheep and work great!

brian0523 said:
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a tape knife - used for installing drywall. They are cheep and work great!

That is what I currently use. Just make sure to dry it very well after washing it. I swear one rusted within 30 minutes!! :x

Digit

digit said:
Soapmaker Man said:
Thanks Irish Lass for the referral. 8)

Here is my TOG Multi Cutter with both a wavy blade and a straight blade like Laurie mentioned, and it's on sale for fourm members! :)
Yep, this is the one I will be using soon......very very soon. Is it here yet? :lol: :lol: I love my TOG stuff!!!!!!!!

Digit

Yes, very, very soon! :D You too, Kathy. :lol: I am so proud of this cutter!!!

I use one of those wax cutters with the wooden handle like above I just use a ruler and they come out great. I only use slab molds :)

Back