Cutting soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techiemeka

Reaction score
Normally I soap with a fairly steep water discount and my soap, 24hr later cuts clean with a knife. For my recent attempts at swirls I used 38% but prob not enough sodium lactate as 1 week later the soap is still soft and when I try to cut, soap smears on the blade.
How long do you think I'd need to wait or is there another technique to get a clean cut?
Thx.

Normally I soap with a fairly steep water discount and my soap, 24hr later cuts clean with a knife. For my recent attempts at swirls I used 38% but prob not enough sodium lactate as 1 week later the soap is still soft and when I try to cut, soap smears on the blade.
How long do you think I'd need to wait or is there another technique to get a clean cut?
Thx.

Stick it in the fridge for a few hours and try again.
Was the recipe extremely high in soft oils?

Thanks for the fridge idea.
Yes, 80% OO, which is my normal recipe (with coconut and castor).

That's a lot of soft oil! So if the recipe was formulated correctly it will harden up on its own, or do the fridge - maybe up to 12 hours before cutting. If you're going to continue using full water, look into adding sodium lactate. Salt might also help but I've never used for that use so look for more info on that.

That's a lot of soft oil! So if the recipe was formulated correctly it will harden up on its own, or do the fridge - maybe up to 12 hours before cutting. If you're going to continue using full water, look into adding sodium lactate. Salt might also help but I've never used for that use so look for more info on that.

Did add SL but my other batch crumbled so bad I reduced the amount of SL (from 3% to 1%). Next time will reduce water as well.

Stick it in the fridge for a few hours and try again.
Was the recipe extremely high in soft oils?

Put the loaf in the fridge overnight and the knife (pallet like) was still smeared with soap. I'll wait another week

I also recommend using a freezer to help it harden up.

Put the loaves in the freezer (for two days as I forgot it there). This time I was able to get clean cuts .... Tho needed quite the pressure due to being frozen solid . Thanks again for the advice.

Back