Cutting mat liners for wooden molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you use cutting mats from the Dollar Tree as liners for wooden molds, do you cut each side separately rather than folding, and what kind of tape do you use to secure the pieces together?

I tried searching this, but could not remember enough context to find it.

Susie, when I did this, I cut them separately then used duct tape on the joins. The duct tape had to replaced periodically and I got tired of the process. I guess depending on how liquid the batter is, the duct tape's longevity may be more or less. For example, with HP, I could use the same set-up more times, but with a very thin batter, I'd have to change it every time.

I also tried it with packing tape at the joins, and it didn't last as well as the duct tape.

I have since switched to freezer paper and prefer it to the mats cut to fit.

Score and fold worked better for me than cutting each piece separately. When I did mine, I did 3pcs - 1 pc that folded into the side walls and bottom of the mold, and then 1 pc each for the ends, which had tabs that folded over where they met the side and bottom walls to help prevent leaking and keep the pieces in place. They worked well as long as I didn't gel. If I gelled they warped.

Score and fold worked better for me than cutting each piece separately. When I did mine, I did 3pcs - 1 pc that folded into the side walls and bottom of the mold, and then 1 pc each for the ends, which had tabs that folded over where they met the side and bottom walls to help prevent leaking and keep the pieces in place. They worked well as long as I didn't gel. If I gelled they warped.

I did this but scored too deeply and after a few uses the sides separated. So I patched the back with painters tape or clear packing tapetape, which worked well.

So is anyone still using them?
I still use the plastic mats for the smaller molds, have not got around to making for the longer mold. Tape is inexpensive and the mats don't wrinkle. I did use a foam pad in the longer mold last week, a foam like another member mentioned recently in another thread. (Memory like a sieve today) The foam reduced the interior volume of the mold a little bit and was easy to use and clean. Lint wanted to stick to it. I like the plastic better than paper, still undecided on the foam.

... I did use a foam pad in the longer mold last week, a foam like another member mentioned recently in another thread. (Memory like a sieve today) The foam reduced the interior volume of the mold a little bit and was easy to use and clean. Lint wanted to stick to it. I like the plastic better than paper, still undecided on the foam.
Although the craft foam is discussed in past years, I got my information more recently here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-joy-of-soap-mold-lining-not.72878/page-3#post-737892

Latest posts

Back