Cutting CP soap with cookie cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambi

Reaction score
I found this cookie cutter with shape and size I like. it's a regular stainless steel animal-shaped medium size cookie cutter for baking. I wonder if it can be used to cut CP soap as I don't do M&P. Is it possible if I make the cp soap using a slab mold with the same height as the cookie cutter thickness and cut it each one using the cookie cutter after unmolding? When is the right time to cut? I might need a bigger slab mold to get some individual soaps though. I saw people do this to create embeds using smaller sized cookie cutters. Anyone did this before or has a better method?

TIA :)

Yes, a cookie cutter makes a fine tool for cutting soap shapes. Unless you're making a salt soap recipe that hardens like a rock very quickly, you should have no problems cutting through the soap when you unmold it from the slab at the usual time when you would have otherwise cut it into bars. I would recommend that you wear protective gloves when working with new soap, though, even if it doesn't zap.

Yes, a cookie cutter makes a fine tool for cutting soap shapes. Unless you're making a salt soap recipe that hardens like a rock very quickly, you should have no problems cutting through the soap when you unmold it from the slab at the usual time when you would have otherwise cut it into bars. I would recommend that you wear protective gloves when working with new soap, though, even if it doesn't zap.

Thanks, mzimm! Can't wait to try it :)

Hi, I'm newbie here. I want to cut my cp soap with plastic cookie cutter but the outer part of the cookie cutter always breaks and the soap in the cutter is sticking to the mold and won't come out... It also breaks when I try to push it. I'm mostly using bb cp soap recipe. I'm living in humid environment so my soap a bit sticky at the first week then it harden and too hard for my cookie cutter. Any advice?

Hi, I'm newbie here. I want to cut my cp soap with plastic cookie cutter but the outer part of the cookie cutter always breaks and the soap in the cutter is sticking to the mold and won't come out... It also breaks when I try to push it. I'm mostly using bb cp soap recipe. I'm living in humid environment so my soap a bit sticky at the first week then it harden and too hard for my cookie cutter. Any advice?
Welcome to the Forum! I don't recommend using a plastic cookie cutter that was designed for cookie dough. I recommend a sharp knife or wire cutter. Good luck.

I use a silicone loaf mold. I know it's time to unmold if the sides of the mold pull away from the soap. If it's sticking to the mold, wait a few more hours.

Thank for your reply, but what I mean is I'm trying to using cookie cutter to make little shape to decorate my soap like cat, stars or bunny and to make unique embeds (I'm using 3d printers to make them).
As you suggested, I'm going to try it with stainless cookie cutter now

Ummmmm....this is something I was recently contemplating doing with some metal cookie cutters (usually just tin), HOWEVER I did not, because the metal used to make the cookie cutters might contribute to them developing orange spots....or so I thought.

Would it not be advisable to use only plastic cookie cutters?

Ummmmm....this is something I was recently contemplating doing with some metal cookie cutters (usually just tin), HOWEVER I did not, because the metal used to make the cookie cutters might contribute to them developing orange spots....or so I thought.

Would it not be advisable to use only plastic cookie cutters?
I think 3D printed plastic isn't as strong as some of the plastic cookie cutters, at least the few that I have used. I have used stainless cookie and biscuit cutters without problems, but I haven’t used them often either.

@ChicKhiE ChicK if dusting does work, you might try a light coat of oil. But if your soap is very stick it could be difficult to get out cleanly.

Spray your cookie cutter with rubbing alcohol, (carefully getting all inside parts especially). This worked for me. I used metal cutters as they are more sturdy.

Some people dust soap dough with cornstarch (cornflower) to keep it from sticking to molds. I haven’t tried it, but maybe a very light dusting would help to keep your soap from sticking to the cookie cutter.
I use cornflour and dust the soap dough before using plastic push cutters on it, it stops it from sticking.

Back