Cutting a line pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all.

I am impatiently waiting to cut my line pour from last night. I have never been successful at keeping my lines straight, but this one was going so great and every line was almost perfect...until I lowered the mold, slipped out of my hands, and messed up all my lines LOL. Anyway, I was only about 1/4 done and I think I managed to pour the rest ok.

On a side note, I have quite a few bottles of fo that do not have enough to fragrance one loaf all by themselves, so I experimented with mixing two. I mixed 1/2 Willow and Ivy from BB and 1/2 Champagne from NS, and let me tell you that it smells phenomenal!!! My batter decelerated so without wanting to put my sb back in and risk bubbles, it took quite some time stirring to get it to trace, which I don't mind. I will stir all day than to risk bubbles after I got a bubble-free batter lol.

My question is: how do I cut it to get the lines? It is a standard loaf mold. I watched videos and it almost seems like they rush through the cutting on purpose so that you have no idea what they did LOL. No I don't really think that, but after watching different soapmaker's videos, I still don't get it, so I thought maybe it might be easier for me to understand if someone just tells me LOL.

It is confusing because she cut off an end slice before she started the real cutting, and then she divided the whole loaf into chunks before making the second cuts. Although she explained, you couldn't see how she turned them after the initial cuts. Here's what I do:

1. Put the loaf on the cutter with the top of the loaf facing up, and the bottom sitting on the cutter deck. Don't turn it on its side.

2. Cut one double-width bar, e.g., if your bar is normally 1.25", cut it at 2.5".

3. With the bar still in the same position as when you made the first cut, turn it once (90 degrees) to the right or to the left. In other words, the top of the loaf stays in the same place, but the sides are rotated one-quarter turn.

4. Cut the double-bar in half.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining loaf.

She actually cut all the double-chunks first, and then went back and halved them all. I make mistakes when I do that, because I can't remember which side was the starting side, and inevitably I cut at least one chunk the wrong way.

That's why I cut one double-chunk, turn it, halve it. Then cut another double-bar, turn it, halve it. This leaves much less chance for error, at least for my spatially-challenged brain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back