Cutter is almost ready!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loriag

Reaction score
Look what I got today! I was so excited. An 86 year old gentleman in our church made it for me from materials he had around his shop. It may not be the prettiest piece but it is made with love! It needs a small adjustment and the guitar string will be put back in tomorrow. I got a wire cutter, I got a wire cutter......
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg

Look what I got today! I was so excited. An 86 year old gentleman in our church made it for me from materials he had around his shop. It may not be the prettiest piece but it is made with love! It needs a small adjustment and the guitar string will be put back in tomorrow. I got a wire cutter, I got a wire cutter......
View attachment 30209 View attachment 30210

I think it looks GREAT. Things made with love and kindness are always the best.

That is way cool! What brought it about?
I have been bringing my soaps to church as I make them to let the ladies smell them. I know crazy soap lady! They are a very supportive group. My next door next door neighbour is also a member of our church and her husband is very handy. So I showed them some pictures of a wire cutter on my phone. She thought he would be too busy so suggested I show them to her Dad. Bob (also part of our church) told me to get him some pictures and he would see what he could do. He was/is a cabinet maker, lock smith all around handy type guy (at 88 he worked everyday until this last year). I told him what they cost online and said I would pay him. After he was finished with a project for his grand daughter he started on this for me. I also secretly wanted a piece from Bob, this last year you can really see his decline physically, having something made by him is very special, I will treasure it.

Last edited:
I love the improvised ceiling hook as a wing nut. Looks great!
That is one of my favourite parts! I have a wood cutter box with those little tiny wing ones and my fingers just don't spin it so well. This hook is easy peasy for me to use. I am one happy soaper with this cutter.

That is beautiful! My husband made a very similar one for me about a week ago. Wow!!! What an improvement over using a pastry scraper thing! I'm not going to show him yours, though. The one he made works beautifully, but was made from scrap lumber in the garage. He is embarrassed about the way it looks, but I love it and will treasure it as much as you will yours. Best wishes to you!! :)

Congratulations on your cutter I would love to have one of these. I hope to learn how to make make my own. I am going to book into a carpentry class to see if I can make my own wooden moulds and a wire cutter.

It looks amazing!

I also have an all-wood cutter similar to this. Mine isn't stained, but I do find it's a bit difficult to clean. If you have the time, I would put a coat of polyurethane on the soap-touching surfaces.

It looks amazing!

I also have an all-wood cutter similar to this. Mine isn't stained, but I do find it's a bit difficult to clean. If you have the time, I would put a coat of polyurethane on the soap-touching surfaces.
Thanks for the input...it does make sense as the soap would get into the natural wood cracks.

Thank you so much for sharing! I have just been using a knife and eyeballing the sizes. Now i have a project for my husband. Isnt he lucky!
The husband is definitely lucky, he has you and the opportunity to support you in your soap making passion! I found the dimensions somewhere on line with pictures.

Congrats on your new cutter! Some of my most cherished items are those that are made by hand for me with love. I can definitely see why you wanted Bob to make this for you. You will cherish it always and each bar of soap will have an extra ounce of love in it now.

Latest posts

Back