Cute new mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My gramma has had this wooden box for 20+ years and she finally decided it needed to come home with me for a soap mold. Its not very big, the bars will be 2.75 x 2.5 but I really like it.
Figured I can use it for specialty soap or maybe kids soaps. Grabbed this pic off ebay, too lazy to take one of mine lol.

il_570xN.722332813_3qrb.jpg

what a wonderful feel of nostalgia when you soap. The box is beautiful. How about a wine or beer soap, to complement the cheese!

Hmm, a wine soap might be interesting and I bet I have something in the fridge I could use. I love the finger joints, I would really like to find more boxes like that but in different sizes.

My gramma has had this wooden box for 20+ years and she finally decided it needed to come home with me for a soap mold. Its not very big, the bars will be 2.75 x 2.5 but I really like it.
Figured I can use it for specialty soap or maybe kids soaps. Grabbed this pic off ebay, too lazy to take one of mine lol.
Oh my ... that's a collector's item! Admittedly they are not too expensive but I'm not sure I would run the risk of ruining one with raw soap. Of course the more people that do that, the more they are worth. :)

What sort of shape is your box in?

I love those old craftsmen that did tongue and groove instead of nails or screws! Now I'm looking at some of my antique boxes in different light.....
That's actually called a "finger joint" KristaY. Interlace your fingers and you get the idea. Tongue and groove is what wooden flooring uses:

t-and-g.jpeg

You are right though, containers like that are long gone and it's a shame. I'd been doing some experimentation with dovetail joints and it's given me a new appreciation for the craftsmen of years past.

"That's actually called a "finger joint" KristaY. Interlace your fingers and you get the idea. Tongue and groove is what wooden flooring uses"

Thanks for the clarification Lee! The pics show it perfectly. I always thought those types of joints were just different styles under the same name. I'm happy to start my day by learning something new! I can still appreciate the craftsmanship and expertise that went into it no matter what it's called.:)

Oh my ... that's a collector's item! Admittedly they are not too expensive but I'm not sure I would run the risk of ruining one with raw soap. Of course the more people that do that, the more they are worth. :)

What sort of shape is your box in?

That's actually called a "finger joint" KristaY. Interlace your fingers and you get the idea. Tongue and groove is what wooden flooring uses:

t-and-g.jpeg

You are right though, containers like that are long gone and it's a shame. I'd been doing some experimentation with dovetail joints and it's given me a new appreciation for the craftsmen of years past.

I like the way you included the graphic to show the difference very well done. :)

Todd

Thats about the same thing hubby said, was afraid I would ruin a old expensive item. I saw them on ebay for just a few dollars so I don't feel bad about using it for soap, thats why gramma gave it to me.
Mine is in good shape but has some pencil marks and scratches on the inside, it was used as a knick knack holder. Most recently it held a flashlight.

If you wax it, it would probably protect the wood from any accidental spills or small leaks in your lining.

Back