Cut soap green in center

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
When I cut this soap it was green on the inside. I'm fairly sure it will be OK one it cures but I would just like to know if there was something I did wrong when making it. Replaced water with coconut milk, wooden mold, put in 125 oven then turned oven off to cool. Mixed lye with oils when oils were about 100 degrees.

soap3.jpg

When I cut this soap it was green on the inside. I'm fairly sure it will be OK one it cures but I would just like to know if there was something I did wrong when making it. Replaced water with coconut milk, wooden mold, put in 125 oven then turned oven off to cool. Mixed lye with oils when oils were about 100 degrees.
I had some soap to do the same thing. I used water in mine. Did use the wooden mold, soaped at 110°. After a couple of days the color became uniform. I thinks it was just the end of the gel phase as the soap is hotter in the middle, but I could be wrong.

IMG_20160213_211006376.jpg

It might well be a color difference due to partial gel. I'm more inclined to think it's a color difference due to moisture content. The outer "rind" of a soap bar is usually drier than the center, and sometimes there's a color difference due to this difference in moisture.

The clues I use to figure out the difference --

A partial gel is usually an oval or circular shape and the partial gel ring is usually visible when the soap is first cut. It can lighten and become a little less obvious as the soap dries, but in my experience it remains visible even after a good cure.

A rind will have the same shape as the outer surfaces of the soap bar -- rectangular rind on a rectangular soap. I usually do not see a rind when I cut newly made soap -- it only appears after the soap has had a little time to dry. The rind will only then be visible on a freshly cut surface that exposes the higher moisture center to view. Eventually this rind disappears as the freshly cut surface dries out.

It'll disappear with cure.
It happens to my bars sometimes. It is more prominent when they are all one colour and when I used to put coconut milk in my soap.

Latest posts

Back