Cut my first batch of Guinness soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
I cut my first batch of Guinness soap today. The soap cut well but I was having trouble with the bars crumbling and breaking at the bottom of the bar. It is amazing what you find at SMF when you use the search button. If found two possible solutions to this problem :D I have not beveled the edges yet, as I have found I prefer to wait a day or two and I get a nicer looking result if the bars are just a bit firmer than they are when I cut them. These soaps are for family for Christmas gifts and I am really pleased with them. Because Guinness is a rich, smooth, almost decadent drink, I tried to reflect this richness in the recipe which has 10% each of cocoa butter and shea butter. As I said in a previous post, in future I think I would make a separate batch of soap for the "head" on the beer as it took a lot of TD to lighten the batter and I still don't think it is light enough In future I will use the Guinness in the bottom section only and make a smaller amount for the top. I used equal amounts of chocolate brown oxide and black oxide for the body of the beer and TD for the head.

guinnes v1 02.JPG
guinnes v1 05.JPG
guinness v1 01.JPG
guinness v1 06.JPG
View attachment 32752
guinness v1 08.JPG

I really like the depth of brown you have achieved for the "beer" and I reckon they'll look great after their bevelling ... your family should love it!

(Quick tip: With layered soaps, cutting them sideways stops a lot of the colour drag).

More photo's after the bevel please :D

I really like the depth of brown you have achieved for the "beer" and I reckon they'll look great after their bevelling ... your family should love it!

(Quick tip: With layered soaps, cutting them sideways stops a lot of the colour drag).

More photo's after the bevel please :D
Will do :D I have to get a proper cutter.

Latest posts

Back