Cut another soap today

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made soap using a new recipe with 50 percent lard yesterday. I wanted to try a pencil line so that was my main goal on this soap, other than testing the new recipe.

My colors did not turn out quite like I wanted, I wanted a darker green and brown, but I am also experimenting with colors. I used both micas at the suggested usage rate.... So I learned the color of the batter will be very close to the color of the saponified soap, at least in this recipe! 😉

I also think a pencil line like I wanted might be easier in a tall mold, but I am tickled my first attempt came out so well. I used cocoa for the line and was hoping for a marbled effect.

I also love my new mold!
IMG_20200505_151750167.jpg
IMG_20200506_190308594.jpg
IMG_20200506_190252441.jpg

I made soap using a new recipe with 50 percent lard yesterday. I wanted to try a pencil line so that was my main goal on this soap, other than testing the new recipe.

My colors did not turn out quite like I wanted, I wanted a darker green and brown, but I am also experimenting with colors. I used both micas at the suggested usage rate.... So I learned the color of the batter will be very close to the color of the saponified soap, at least in this recipe! 😉

I also think a pencil line like I wanted might be easier in a tall mold, but I am tickled my first attempt came out so well. I used cocoa for the line and was hoping for a marbled effect.

I also love my new mold!

They look beautiful!

Really nice! I tried lard as a test and never quit using it.
Someone posted that there are two types of lard. Do you know how to distinguish these two and what difference in the finished soap might happen? I bought some lard for my first experiment, it was in the meat dept. of Bodega Aurerra, a Méxican branch of Walmart. I hope it works.

I also love my new mold!
View attachment 45852View attachment 45853View attachment 45854
this is gorgeous, looking at it it takes me to an early morning walk in the washes of New Mexico between Abique and Taos! Or something! Lovely. How is 50% lard to bathe with?

Last edited:
Someone posted that there are two types of lard. Do you know how to distinguish these two and what difference in the finished soap might happen? I bought some lard for my first experiment, it was in the meat dept. of Bodega Aurerra, a Méxican branch of Walmart. I hope it works.
I'm not sure about that. I know that pig fat is called lard and other animal fats are called tallow. Other than that I don't know.

Someone posted that there are two types of lard. Do you know how to distinguish these two and what difference in the finished soap might happen?

They were most likely talking about leaf lard vs. plain grocery store lard. Leaf lard is made from the flaky fat around the kindeys and abdomen while plain lard is made from all the rest of the fat on the pig. Leaf lard is supposed to be better in cooking, especially in pie crusts and such. In soap I don't think there would be any difference, you'd just be out considerably more money.

They were most likely talking about leaf lard vs. plain grocery store lard. Leaf lard is made from the flaky fat around the kindeys and abdomen while plain lard is made from all the rest of the fat on the pig. Leaf lard is supposed to be better in cooking, especially in pie crusts and such. In soap I don't think there would be any difference, you'd just be out considerably more money.
This is very helpful, thank you. I render my own tallow from beef and ask the butcher for cebo, the flaky kind. I had not planned on rendering lard. Maybe for an experiment in the future, but your post makes me relax about it.

Looks great. A pencil line is next on my list of things to try. Where did you get your mold? I like the size.
Maxine, someone on this site recommended the mold for a good starter mold (I was using an old plastic velveeta cover that I had to line...made for square soaps instead of rectangular bars). This one was recommended in another thread by @jcandleattic here - Soap molds
I was going to suggest this mold for a beginner for small batches - soap mold
It's inexpensive, and it's the mold I used for YEARS before going to a very slightly bigger mold.

But I see you have already purchased a mold and supplies.
Next is making soap and posting pics!! :)

I love the mold so far! It took a little longer to get here, but that was fine. The mold is sturdy and doesn't bow out at the sides. When I unmolded this soap the other day (first batch with the new mold) I was a little worried about how it would come out of the mold, but it came out perfect. Just had to "burp" the sides and let air get in, then slowly work down the bottom also. I highly recommend it! Wish I had gotten two while I was at it!

I also love my new mold!
View attachment 45852View attachment 45853View attachment 45854
Very pretty!

this is gorgeous, looking at it it takes me to an early morning walk in the washes of New Mexico between Abique and Taos! Or something! Lovely. How is 50% lard to bathe with?

Thank you, Adobehead! I can't tell you how lard is to bathe with...LOL> Just made this and have to wait, however I decided to try it based on all the posts here about people loving their lard-based soap. Just do a search for lard and you will see a lot of folks really like it. This is my first try....I have one other bar with only about 20% lard, but it won't be ready to try until about a week before this one.

There are several types of lard from what I understand. Leaf lard is the highest grade of lard, from around the kidneys and abdomen. If you have ever butchered a hog, that fat is layered, kind of like leaves, instead of being in a big, solid glob. Leaf lard is prized by bakers for making pie crusts. You can buy leaf lard, for instance on Amazon, but it is more expensive. I think most lard sold in stores is the general fat from the rest of the hog and it is processed, generally bleached, hydrogenated and preservatives are added. All that makes it last longer on store shelves, makes it white and generally odorless with a mild flavor and therefore more appealing to the public. I haven't looked, but I am sure you could get something not so processed at local farmer's markets. Quite a few folks here on the forum are making their own lard by getting the pork fat from local butchers. I even remember someone here on the forum from Mexico was getting more than they could process for free! (If I remember all that correctly! 😉 )

Now all this is in North America. I understand other places sometimes use the term lard to signify fats of other animals also, so as always you have to read each label and see what is in it.

Back