Customization and/or bulk orders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
How does one go about this?

I'm currently selling only three regular sized soaps - unscented rice soap that's mostly white n off-white, triple butter that's pink n geranium/patchouli scented, and a soleseife that started out light blue but I might pick a color of the month for this.

The idea is, if they don't want the current look n scent of any one of these, they can ask me to customize a loaf (minimum amount) with a different color n scent, but the same above recipes.

The other thing is.. I've gotten two inquiries so far regarding "bulk" orders of mini soaps for a baptism and a end of school party. Both are for somewhere in end of March so if I'm doing this I have just about enough time to cure the soaps past 4 wks. I haven't been given the quantities though I asked, since I need to know if I can do it or not. I might say no if I still need to order supplies...

Do I give them all their options on a list, with an order form? What do I list, aside from size, color and scent? Do I go into specifics like lavender and geranium instead of just floral, light pink and dark blue instead of just blues n pinks?

Do I instead ask them to send me what they want this soap to look n smell like n discuss it from there?

What's a good size for "mini soaps?" I currently only have a silicone ice cube mold that produces 24 squares, approx 3 x 3 x 1.5 cm squares, that I've been using to make samples and test pieces. Do I need a different mold or should I just cut the big soaps in half (a slice is approx 8x7.2 cm up n across) or do I make thin slices of the smaller soaps (a slice is approx 7x6 cm up n across). I usually do 1.5 thickness per bar.

Am I biting off more than I can chew? Probably... But I'd still like opinions lol

I can only tell you what I've done for some showers, weddings etc. I have a couple order full bars. I ask them how many they are interested in first. Then I give them an option. For instance, one wanted 150 small bars. I told them they could pick 2-3 different fragrances and or colors. I had to make 5 loaves. She opted for all the same colors but chose 3 fragrances. I just cut each bar in half. My bars start about 5.5 before cure. I've also done full bars. It just depend on how much work you want to put into it. I enjoy it. I create different themed labels for them as well.

I supply a couple of B&B's and they buy a variety of 4 or five different types of soap from my regular production and have me cut my regular bars into thirds. I ask them to order multiples of three so I don't have any left over little bars. I wrap and label each one but it's not so very time consuming. I have a customer who always buys a bunch of 1/2 sized bars for Christmas gifts and for him I'll make a personalized (usually goofy) label of his choice. The only time I charge more is if it's for a wedding or special occasion and they want more elaborate packaging (boxes, hand-made paper, ribbons, etc.). Don't offer scent combinations that you've never tried before...also sometimes a customer will order a custom scent that they think sounds great but then they don't like it. I made that mistake once - never again! It's also a good idea to get half the money (non-refundable) up front, the rest on delivery.

Latest posts

Back