Customer Issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a customer hand me a jar of cream on Saturday telling me it didn't smell right. I opened it and it didn't smell anything like the fragrance listed. I just told her I would replace it by the end of this week. I always try to go with "the customer is always right" although, we all know that this is not always true. I was at a very busy craft fair and didn't want to get into a discussion with her.My daughter came later that afternoon and looked at the jar. She said to me "she had dirty hands when she used this cream". She also said "Why are you replacing this for her?" The jar was soiled and I don't know where she had stored it. My daughter told me "mom, you are just too nice; people take advantage of you." Comments please

Hard to say without knowing a few more things.

How dirty was it? Grungy - like rolled around the floor of a dirty car? The cream inside was dirty - like gardener's hands were dipped into it? Was there accumulated goop under the threads of the jar?

Any idea how long she had it?

Is the cream properly preserved and challenge tested?

Was the cream made with water or just butters and oils? How old was it? Did it have a preservative in it? That would all play into how I would handle it. How filthy was it?

Last edited:
Sometimes it is just easier and cheaper to replace a product when a customer complains just to protect your business reputation. As long as this doesn't occur very often it is fine to keep doing it this way.

However if you are dealing with this type of thing often, you need to create a refund/returns policy which is in line with your local regulations and then you can refer your customers to this.

If your product is labelled with a batch number and expiry date then it makes it easier to refuse a replacement if the product has reached the end of the expiry date.

The jar had residue under the threads. I would guess that it was at least 1-1/2 years old. I always tell customers that it has a shelf life of 6 to 9 months. I use Optiphen for a preservative. It did have distilled water in it along with the oils & butters.
This is the first jar that has ever been returned to me. I will replace it but this woman has been a problem. She wanted my recipe as she works for a company that would make it for me. I refused this as I don't trust that they would follow what I want done.

I would include a use by date on the new jar and update your policy to include no returns on expired products.

I would also put a use by date, replace it and tell her it is the last time it will be replaced. Then I would refuse to sell to her again. It is your right to do that. We cut off a problem customer years ago telling her why we cut her off. It was for basically the same reason and it was not a lotion but a lotion bar in a jar. I replaced it for her and sent her on her way.

Latest posts

Back