Curious soap playing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering how a soap bar will turn out with a recipe like this one. Have anybody ever made a soap where all the oils and fats are equal amounts? Playing around with numbers on the soap calc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 28
Have anybody ever made a soap where all the oils and fats are equal amounts? Playing around with numbers on the soap calc.

I doubt there's a member on the forum that hasn't done just that when we first started out! LOL I, for one, spent countless hours at a time, just "playing". My advicd: If using SoapCalc.net, at this stage I would highly recommend using the default settings and make small 1 lb. batches using 12 oz of oils/butters/fats:

12 oz. X a factor of 1.37 = 16.4 oz. soap (approx.)

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN! :D

I doubt there's a member on the forum that hasn't done just that when we first started out! LOL I, for one, spent countless hours at a time, just "playing". My advicd: If using SoapCalc.net, at this stage I would highly recommend using the default settings and make small 1 lb. batches using 12 oz of oils/butters/fats:

12 oz. X a factor of 1.37 = 16.4 oz. soap (approx.)

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN! :D
Thank you 😊

Definitely put this thru a soap calculator before making it, and start paying attention to the percentages of the different fatty acids, and your sat:unsat ratio, since those primarily determine your soap qualities. Make a lot of different small batches and figure out which combinations you like. 😁
Will do thank you ☺️

I've tried probably a 100 different recipes. You'll have to make and try them to see if YOU like them. Everyone has their own preferences. What I like you may not.
Thank you 😊

The oils all seem to be at 20% each... I thought that was too high for Castor Oil? Is there a time when that high % would be ok?

The oils all seem to be at 20% each... I thought that was too high for Castor Oil? Is there a time when that high % would be ok?
You can always try it and see what you think. Experimenting, especially failures, is the best teacher! I rarely add castor to my bar soap and when I do I use 5% max to avoid the bar becoming "sticky". My advice, ditch the castor and make the soap without it. If you think it needs a bit more oomph in the lather, that would be a good time to try it.

To answer your question, there's an old-fashioned transparent soap called "Pears" and Catherine Failor's "Copra" transparent that uses 18% castor oil. Also, castor oil can be used at a higher % in lye-based liquid shampoo to provide conditioning and to boost lather. That's all I can think of. :smallshrug:

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a recipe with 20% castor oil and 20% mango butter, but you never know, it could turn out to be great soap. There was a thread not too long ago about recipes that “break the rules.” As I recall, one of the recipes mentioned uses 18% castor oil in a tallow based soap.

I want to try a pear soap soon any suggestions for recipe guidelines?
A few members have made it. Use the "Search" feature (Top Right of this page) to type in "Pears Soap" and search "Titles only" that should lead you to threads that talk about it.

Your library might have a copy of "Making Transparent Soap" by Catherine Failor. The technique is somewhat tricky so plan on an extended learning curve! o_O But combine that information with what others have done and that should help you.

Pears Soap is one of the first soaps I wanted to make when I first started soap making in 2003! I was into transparent soaps back then. I stopped because they're expensive to make and M&P clear soap is so much cheaper it's impossible to compete. I still haven't tried making it. The hardest part is finding the original ingredients... including the fragrance. When Unilever bought the company some 10 years or so ago, they ditched the original recipe and used syndets. Not good.

Making clear soap doesn't have to be complicated. I found this tutorial made it pretty easy: Easy Transparent Soap- Learn How to Make DIY Clear Soap in Less than Ten Minutes!
Thanks for sharing, Ali Oop! :thumbup: I bookmarked it to share with others who wish to DIY their own M&P.

As a long time transparent soap maker, the thing I noticed is her ingredients are almost identical to SFIC and other M&P Bases. Which is not a problem if that's the way you want to go, except for the propylene glycol (typical of M&P bases) in the formula which I'm allergic to, as are others. Also, high% glycerin not only makes the soap prone to sweating but also the bar is not as clear as a true transparent... but MUCH easier and far less expensive to make FOR SURE!!! :nodding:

10 Minute Transparent.png

Last edited:
Thanks, @Zany_in_CO , for that additional info. I am not much into those soaps so I appreciate learning more about it. I also didn't know that people could be allergic to propylene glycol. Very good to know because if there is something that can cause a reaction, I will be THAT person and have the reaction!

Last edited:
Back