Curious if anyone has tried this

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CPOP forces gel and would allow you to possibly cut sooner; however, it has no appreciable impact on curing. During cure, there is a lot more going on than simply letting excess moisture evaporate. There is a molecular structure change that results in a better bar.

Humidifiers, CPOP, and a bunch of other schemes would be fantastic if they worked. Alas, there is nothing better for soap than time.

ETA: I KNOW this has been discussed here with fantastic scientific reasoning behind exactly what is happening while we impatient bide our time... I didn't bookmark it though. :(

CPOP forces gel and would allow you to possibly cut sooner; however, it has no appreciable impact on curing. During cure, there is a lot more going on than simply letting excess moisture evaporate. There is a molecular structure change that results in a better bar.

Humidifiers, CPOP, and a bunch of other schemes would be fantastic if they worked. Alas, there is nothing better for soap than time.

ETA: I KNOW this has been discussed here with fantastic scientific reasoning behind exactly what is happening while we impatient bide our time... I didn't bookmark it though. :(
Thank you for the informative reply. I guess I will keep doing it the way I have been.

Ditto what Snappyllama said. CPOP is good for encouraging gel so that the batter saponifies quicker and the resulting soap can be unmolded quicker, but complete saponification should never be confused with cure. They are two different processes. The only route to a faster cure (i.e., faster than the normal minimum of 4 weeks) is going to involve a time machine of some sort....something along the lines of a TARDIS would be awesome (if only they were real!).

Here's one of our many threads that discuss whether it's possible to speed up cure or not, only instead of inquiring if CPOP might be a possible route, this particular thread inquires about the use of a dehydrator. The answers to each inquiry are the same, though: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54249

IrishLass :)

the best way to speed the cure is to make soap regularly every week - soon you'll have more soap to test than there are days in the week, and you'll find yourself taking 2 showers a day or using 2-3 soaps per shower! :)

or you can put your mould in the freezer, conveniently forget that you put it in there and then find a surprise a few months down the road when you're looking for a safe hiding place to store your wife's anniversary present...

It's easy to figure out whether a longish cure time makes any difference or not -- try it. Wash your hands with a young bar of soap. Take notes about the lather it makes and how it feels on the skin. Wait a couple of weeks, check again, and so on for several months. This will give you the personal experience to decide for yourself.

I have put newly saponified soap back into the oven and heated it for a while. I also found the soap got harder after being warmed, but unlike the Morgan St Soap person, I don't think hard soap is cured soap.

Here's a link to another thread where I try to explain more about curing soap: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35831

People think usling a dehumidifier speeds cure? I use one as it gets humid as all hell in the sumner and my soaps sweat if i dont use it. Especially my salt bars.

Ditto what Snappyllama said. CPOP is good for encouraging gel so that the batter saponifies quicker and the resulting soap can be unmolded quicker, but complete saponification should never be confused with cure. They are two different processes. The only route to a faster cure (i.e., faster than the normal minimum of 4 weeks) is going to involve a time machine of some sort....something along the lines of a TARDIS would be awesome

You don't have a TARDIS?

You don't have a TARDIS?

Wouldn't you know it- they disappear into thin air so fast that I've never been able to catch up with one! lol

If my hubby has his way, though, we might one day have something that looks similar to a TARDIS in our back yard. We need a shed, and he's been tossing around the idea of building one with a TARDIS-like entrance to it, so that when you enter, it's of course bigger on the inside. lol

IrishLass :)

Wouldn't you know it- they disappear into thin air so fast that I've never been able to catch up with one! lol

If my hubby has his way, though, we might one day have something that looks similar to a TARDIS in our back yard. We need a shed, and he's been tossing around the idea of building one with a TARDIS-like entrance to it, so that when you enter, it's of course bigger on the inside. lol

The TARDIS is my most handy soaping gadget, except when I get sucked into another dimension or get sidetracked saving the universe from the utter destruction of the fabric of space and time. I hate when that happens.

Back