Curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jettibo

Reaction score
Why do the soaps have to cure? Is there anything wrong with using them early. It's been a week and I REALLY want to try some of my new soap. I'm trying to be patient but I don't know if I can handle it anymore.

During cure your soap is drying, as it dries it becomes harder and lasts longer. You can use your soap early if you must but I would give it at least 2 weeks. Make up a batch of HP soap, you can use that while your CP is curing.

I disagree, you can use it sooner than 2 weeks. As i usually do because I can't wait and I know it's safe.

The saponification process is complete in +/- 24 hours. The reminder of the "cure" time allows the excess liquid to evaporate and produce a harder bar.

But I'd much rather use a bar of soap that was CP'd and still a little on the soft side rather than a bar of HP soap. Yes it will be a little soft, but still quite usable earlier than 2 weeks.

Soaps made with higher amounts of olive oil need longer than 3 weeks to cure to produce a hard bar of soap. But it will eventually get there.

I use my soaps right away too. But that is just to test them. I find that waiting at least 2-3 weeks makes for a longer lasting bar.

I usually test some bars at 48 hours. And they are always great. It's not about testing the actual recipe because I'm experienced enough to know how that part will turn out, but for me it's all about the fragrance that is used in the soap.

soap_lady said:
I disagree, you can use it sooner than 2 weeks.
I did not say she couldn't use it sooner than 2 weeks, I said I wait 2 weeks because the soap is drying and it makes for a harder bar.

I use mine after a week at cure.

Actually, I find the longer a soap cures, the better the lather is.

I have tried a soap after 1 week at cure and it was nice soap, but then two months later, turns into WOW soap! Creamy lather like you won't believe.

I noticed that the longer a soap cures the better the lather, also. I try not to use my soap but when I do get it on my hands while cutting into bars or making soap balls, it is just fine. I usually cut it after it sits in the mold for a day or two. Depending on how firm it is.

You can use soap earlier if there is no lye zap, but I'm with those who like to wait it out. I've tested mine at all levels and found that my soap that is 4 weeks old is much harder, longer lasting, lathers like the dickens, and is gentler or less drying to my skin than my 2 week old soaps.

IrishLass :)

My soaps are usually safe after 1 week. As time goes on they get more and more fabulous! It is worth the wait. So much more creamier and gentle. Happy soaping!

So I tried one of the bars last night and LOVE it. Of course dumb me picked out a castille soap so I had to take it out of the shower and put it on a towel to dry back out. Hopefully I won't need to pull any more bars that early to test since I have a TON of soap for now and plan to keep making as often as possible!

I try a sliver just after demolding. I have also used it after just two days...it's just a lot softer and will not last as long. You are good to go right now.

otter said:
I noticed that the longer a soap cures the better the lather, also.

I absolutely agree. I've noticed this, too.

soap_lady said:
The saponification process is complete in +/- 24 hours. The reminder of the "cure" time allows the excess liquid to evaporate and produce a harder bar.

For CP - I disagree. The saponification process continues beyone 24 hrs, that's why the soap is milder after 4-6 weeks.

You can use it as soon as there's no zap, but it won't be as hard or as mild as a fully cured soap.

I'm talking CP here.

My veggie soaps are very mild when I cut them but the lard and tallow soaps seem just a little harsh when first cut. I always soap at 4-5% lye discount on both unless making soap for laundry use. I wait one to two weeks before using any of them.

Sudsy Bubbles

Since I use GM solely, and it naturally lowers the pH of soap, I can use within a few days. I made a beer soap with GM yesterday at 7AM, and used a end piece last night in the shower at 10PM, 15 hours after pouring. I tongue tested, no zap, crazy bubbles at the 15 hour mark. I think a soap that is 6 months to a year old is the best though. I have some of mine that are 3 years old I pull out of my stash and use occasionally. Still smell great, and crazy bubbles and so mild.

Paul

mandolyn said:
For CP - I disagree. The saponification process continues beyone 24 hrs, that's why the soap is milder after 4-6 weeks.

You can use it as soon as there's no zap, but it won't be as hard or as mild as a fully cured soap.

I'm talking CP here.

I completely agree. There's definitely some kind of chemical reaction still going on well beyond the first 24 hours.

And as SoapMaker Man attested to about his 6 months old soap, I would even go so far as to venture to say that something is still going on even months down the road!

I myself have had similar experiences to SoapMaker Man with my months old soap, too. I keep a bar back from every batch and test them from time to time, and today I tested a soap I had made 13 months ago. It was a 100% goatmilk soap that at 6 weeks old did not lather as well as I had hoped it would. The milk was added to one of my regular recipes that lathers quite well on its own, but it seemed like the 100% milk I had added ccompletely killed my bubbles. Well, today, over a year later when I tried it- WOW! It was fantastic with really nice bubblage. It was so dense and creamy, too. I was very surprised, and very pleased. Like cheese and wine, soap just keeps getting better and better with age. :)

IrishLass

Why do the soaps have to cure? Is there anything wrong with using them early. It's been a week and I REALLY want to try some of my new soap. I'm trying to be patient but I don't know if I can handle it anymore.
I'm feeling the same way about my shampoo bars. It's been about two weeks, so I'm going for it!

@MissLinda -- This thread is over 10 years old. Many of the original posters including Jettibo are no longer active on SMF. New posts on really old threads create problems, so we discourage this kind of thing. Better to start a new thread so all the participants are active and able to respond to the conversation. If you want to do that, it can be nice to give a link to this old thread -- that's certainly a good thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back