Curing Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodhi they won't zap after 24 - 48 hours.... so huh? And how long do you feel your soap needs to cure..... after 3 weeks the difference in how long a soap is going to last is in the ingredients. So seriously, 4 - 6 weeks isn't long enough? You must be making very soft soaps without a water discount if that isn't long enough for your soaps to cure.

Bodhi they won't zap after 24 - 48 hours.... so huh? And how long do you feel your soap needs to cure..... after 3 weeks the difference in how long a soap is going to last is in the ingredients. So seriously, 4 - 6 weeks isn't long enough? You must be making very soft soaps without a water discount if that isn't long enough for your soaps to cure.

I think curing involves a lot more than water loss and the lack of zapping. I use a pretty good water discount and make hard soaps that generally dont zap the next day so i can use or test them almost immediatley. IME after 4 or 6 weeks they could still be better lather and life wise-and generally are if left to cure longer. Take a castile for example. They absolutely suck(excuse my language) at a few weeks but give them a couple years and they are fabulous.

Added: check out the thread about the chemistry of soaps. Its explained a little more there.

Last edited:
I think curing involves a lot more than water loss and the lack of zapping. I use a pretty good water discount and make hard soaps that generally dont zap the next day so i can use or test them almost immediatley. IME after 4 or 6 weeks they could still be better lather and life wise-and generally are if left to cure longer. Take a castile for example. They absolutely suck(excuse my language) at a few weeks but give them a couple years and they are fabulous.

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, but I want to know more about what percent of water everyone uses? I did my first water discount this weekend, which is probably the reason why when I neglected to line my mold it thickened so quickly (oops).

I use 28% for castile soaps, and 30 to 35% others.

By the way, LOVE my 18-month old castile and would not dream of using it with less than a 12-month cure.

Depending on my recipe i usually use between 15 and 30%.

Please tell me! How do you know your soap is done curing? I hear so many people say that "their soap took 6 weeks to cure." I figured 4 weeks was the going rate. What constitutes a cured bar of soap?

I am just curious, what made you figure that 4 weeks was the going rate? I have never seen anyone recommend using a CP soap that early, everything I have read or seen (from a reputable source, of course) has indicated a minimum 6 week cure for CP soap. That some individuals do use theirs sooner notwithstanding.

There are a lot of opinions as to when a soap has completed its cure. Some believe that Castile must cure for a year, where others feel it is fine after 8 weeks. I can tell you from experience Castille is rock hard within a couple of weeks. I sure wouldn't want to try and cut it after that. When we talk about non-Castille it ranges from 21 days to 6 weeks. This is all personal preference in my opinion. I cure my non-castille bars for 3 weeks and then package for sale. In 4+ years of selling I've not had a problem. Now there are exceptions. Hemp soaps sure for 6 weeks because they are just soooo soft.

Apparently some sell theirs after only 3 weeks ...

We live in a litigious society. When I hear someone say wait six weeks I take it they are indulging in CYA or just repeating what someone else has recommended. The opinions expressed by contributors to this forum may not necessarily be supported by the owners of this website. ;) Personally I start using my soaps on the average of two weeks, and in some cases withing days. For curing purposes I wait 4 weeks before I give them away or sell them. I understand the longer you wait, the better the soap is.

I am just curious, what made you figure that 4 weeks was the going rate? I have never seen anyone recommend using a CP soap that early, everything I have read or seen (from a reputable source, of course) has indicated a minimum 6 week cure for CP soap. That some individuals do use theirs sooner notwithstanding.

I've read it all over the place. The most recent thing I read, said 4-6 weeks:

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/cold-process.html

Sorry you feel offended as I was not referring to you specifically. It was an observation that can be applied to just about any subject. The six week period by many is just a way for the very cautious in my opinion to maximize the safety range.

I'd wondered about that. Do you think a dehydrator has any effect on soap? Sure it will dehydrate faster since dehydrators do that, but does it also age the soaps. Just curious... hmmmm.

Lindy, would it suffice to say if the soaps are still losing water they are still curing? Soaps after a few months are not the same as soap after a few weeks, so how about after a year?
No, a dehydrator will not age the soap. Only time will do that. all a dehydrator will do is exactly what it is designed to do - dehydrate the soap.

And, IMO they don't even do that very well.

We live in a litigious society. When I hear someone say wait six weeks I take it they are indulging in CYA or just repeating what someone else has recommended. The opinions expressed by contributors to this forum may not necessarily be supported by the owners of this website. ;) Personally I start using my soaps on the average of two weeks, and in some cases withing days. For curing purposes I wait 4 weeks before I give them away or sell them. I understand the longer you wait, the better the soap is.

I do not do this as "CYA" or as a mimicking measure, I do it because I want my customers to get the best possible product they can so that I can keep them as repeat customers. Why would ANYONE want to give away or sell inferior products? That makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.
And yes, the longer you wait the better the soap so, why not wait???

I do not do this as "CYA" or as a mimicking measure, I do it because I want my customers to get the best possible product they can so that I can keep them as repeat customers. Why would ANYONE want to give away or sell inferior products? That makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.
And yes, the longer you wait the better the soap so, why not wait???

Are you saying that selling a soap at 4 weeks is selling an inferior product? Because if you are I can say that 6 weeks is not long enough and you should wait 8 weeks.

Are you saying that selling a soap at 4 weeks is selling an inferior product? Because if you are I can say that 6 weeks is not long enough and you should wait 8 weeks.

No, you said that when you said you knew that waiting longer resulted in a better bar.

I'm saying that when I sold, and when I sell again, I did not and will not sell MY soaps at 4 weeks. I just won't do it because I KNOW my soaps are better at longer than that and I want my customers to get the best product from me they possibly can.

You can say what you want, and sell yours at whatever age you want. However, as a consumer, if I get a soap that is drying to my skin due to it not curing long enough and not just the ingredients, I will NOT buy from that person again. Period.

Last edited:
Oh gees. My question was answered within the first page, quite well. I did not know it was a controversial subject. It is not necessary to bicker any further over it. I simply wanted to know what constituted a "cured" bar. Apparently after a certain point, it's all relative, but I did receive excellent advice about weighing.

I have seen recommendations for 4-6 week cure. I personally cure 6 weeks. I think soap is like wine - better with age. What's 2 more weeks for a better product? Simply my opinion. And some recipes I cure longer, (olive oil heavy for example).

No, you said that when you said you knew that waiting longer resulted in a better bar.

I'm saying that when I sold, and when I sell again, I did not and will not sell MY soaps at 4 weeks. I just won't do it because I KNOW my soaps are better at longer than that and I want my customers to get the best product from me they possibly can.

Well, that's good.
But, nobody is telling you not to. Other people may not agree that the difference is substantial enough to wait that long. I know of people that will not sell at 6 weeks. It is a preference based on personal opinion and your knowledge of your product. As others have testified on this site some people discount water and employ methods of drying the soap to speed up the drying process.

I've always read 4-6 weeks, exception is Castile. I also understand different recipes and methods can change the time.

That being said, it's not just a CYA thing. What feels fine to your skin after 2 weeks may dry or burn someone else's skin.

Personal story, my skin changed a few years ago. I bought some locally made unscented oatmeal soap as I was doing okay with Aveeno. I have no idea how old it was, a young lady was stocking it that day at the store that sells locally made items. There were many other soaps but that was the only unscented. I used it a few times, with a few days in between using Aveeno. I put the days in between to see if it was the new soap that was drying, and burning my skin. Turns out, it was the new soap, it literally hurt to use. I purchased several bars that day and had to throw them all away. I never purchased again, and started to learn to make my own.

I have no idea what was wrong with that soap on my skin. It could have been not fully cured, could have been lye heavy, could have been no superfat, could have been anything. I only know it hurt and it was a very bad experience, will never buy any soap in that shop again actually. So, curing is not just for the maker, it can also be for the purchaser.

Mel I agree with you. I give my soaps to my ex-wife and one of her friends that suffers from a skin condition. Both will use only my soap and brag about how their skin feels so soft. On the other hand, my daughter will not use my soaps because she feels they dry her skin. I roll out my soaps at 4 weeks. I have tried curing for more than 4 weeks for my daughter but she still claims they dry her skin. She only uses neutral liquid soaps now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back