Curing soap in the UK - dehumidifier recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasha_88

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

How do you cure your soap in the UK with such high humidity? My home has a relative humidity of 65% at the moment and the lowest I could get it down to is 60% with an electric dehumidifier that is supposed to draw up to 400ml water a day (only 40ml in my experience). The room is small, the door is closed and it's unheated. Any recommendations for a dehumidifier that is less than £50?

Thank you!

Have been curing mine for about two years without a dehumidifier - mine is stored on racks on top of a cupboard in my workroom. Workroom in unheated but the door is always open as the cat sleeps on a bed in there!

Not sure if there is any difference between Scotland and down south (!) but I definitely haven't needed one. Cures beautifully but does take six weeks - is ok after four but still a bit soft.

Thank you, mine are also on a rack, but when I see condensation on the windows, I always think they're not curing properly.

Have you tested them or monitored the weight change over time? I know the weight of mine change hugely in the first few weeks and more subtly the last few weeks.

Condensation on the windows is usually twofold: ventilation and also the changes of temperature (cold outside meets warm inside), Is there any airflow either in the room or generally within the house?

I open the window once a day, but no one lives in the room - it's used for storage. Today outside is 80% relative humidity though.
The weight does change, maybe not so dramatically...

Airflow is key when curing. I keep mine in a spare room with the door open. They cure just fine. I live in deep east Texas, where the humidity is also really high. Mine cure fine. I do give them a couple of extra weeks to cure, just because I like the soaps better at 8 + weeks than at 4-6 weeks. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back