Curing soap in heat and humidty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
I live in Houston. I have a shed in the back yard which is water tight and has built in bookcases with shelves. I thought it could serve as soap curing room.

However... I live in Houston...which gets very Very hot and humid in the summer. Will the temp affect the soaps curing? I know that a cool dark place is required for the 1st 24 to 48 hours...but what about the weeks after?

Hot and humid could be an issue. I prefer to cure in cooler dry conditions. It gets really humid here in the summer. The glycerin that occurs naturally will have a tendency to draw moisture.

I live in Houston. I have a shed in the back yard which is water tight and has built in bookcases with shelves. I thought it could serve as soap curing room.

However... I live in Houston...which gets very Very hot and humid in the summer. Will the temp affect the soaps curing? I know that a cool dark place is required for the 1st 24 to 48 hours...but what about the weeks after?

When they test the stability of oils -- or soaps -- to see how long it takes them to become rancid, they don't want to wait forever. They speed up the deterioration many times over by keeping the stuff hot. Hotter than a backyard shed in a Houston summer unless maybe the sun is beating down on it, but it seems like it might be a bad idea.

Last edited:
I deal with a good bit of humidity (60-80% on a given day) year round in west Tennessee. I keep mine under fans constantly, in a non air conditioned room. So far, I've had no issues with rancidity, but I'm new and have only been through one summer.

I would not use the shed to cure soaps. I would keep it inside in the air conditioning/heat in a room with decent air flow. I don't run a fan on mine, just keep it inside. If the temperature is comfortable for me, it is good enough for the soap.

jenny--

I am about 90 miles due west from you. I would NOT cure soap outside around here. Inside only. I do run a fan around my soaps in the summer while curing, but not this time of year.

My other concern about a using an outside shed is bugs. This country is a haven for certain critters. Unless your shed is as well sealed as a house, I would have concerns about Fire ants, and crazy/raspberry ants. They are bloody everywhere, and while they theoretically aren't interested in soap or its ingredients, why try?

I'm a beekeeper by trade, and I fight an ongoing war against fire ants, crazy ants, Small Hive Beetle, Wax moths, and their like. I would err on the side of caution.

~HL~

Back