Curing soap in heat and humidty

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
I live in Houston. I have a shed in the back yard which is water tight and has built in bookcases with shelves. I thought it could serve as soap curing room.

However... I live in Houston...which gets very Very hot and humid in the summer. Will the temp affect the soaps curing? I know that a cool dark place is required for the 1st 24 to 48 hours...but what about the weeks after?

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hot and humid could be an issue. I prefer to cure in cooler dry conditions. It gets really humid here in the summer. The glycerin that occurs naturally will have a tendency to draw moisture.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Houston. I have a shed in the back yard which is water tight and has built in bookcases with shelves. I thought it could serve as soap curing room.

However... I live in Houston...which gets very Very hot and humid in the summer. Will the temp affect the soaps curing? I know that a cool dark place is required for the 1st 24 to 48 hours...but what about the weeks after?
When they test the stability of oils -- or soaps -- to see how long it takes them to become rancid, they don't want to wait forever. They speed up the deterioration many times over by keeping the stuff hot. Hotter than a backyard shed in a Houston summer unless maybe the sun is beating down on it, but it seems like it might be a bad idea.

Last edited:

LoveOscar

Reaction score
I deal with a good bit of humidity (60-80% on a given day) year round in west Tennessee. I keep mine under fans constantly, in a non air conditioned room. So far, I've had no issues with rancidity, but I'm new and have only been through one summer.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not use the shed to cure soaps. I would keep it inside in the air conditioning/heat in a room with decent air flow. I don't run a fan on mine, just keep it inside. If the temperature is comfortable for me, it is good enough for the soap.

HoneyLady

Reaction score
Republic of Texas Email: kellyross7867@gmail.com
jenny--

I am about 90 miles due west from you. I would NOT cure soap outside around here. Inside only. I do run a fan around my soaps in the summer while curing, but not this time of year.

My other concern about a using an outside shed is bugs. This country is a haven for certain critters. Unless your shed is as well sealed as a house, I would have concerns about Fire ants, and crazy/raspberry ants. They are bloody everywhere, and while they theoretically aren't interested in soap or its ingredients, why try?

I'm a beekeeper by trade, and I fight an ongoing war against fire ants, crazy ants, Small Hive Beetle, Wax moths, and their like. I would err on the side of caution.

~HL~

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll get my husband to make me a mobile curing rack.

Latest posts