Curing Soap in a Food Dehydrator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickett

Reaction score
I was wondering if this would be possible or even feasable(sp)? Does anyone know or has anyone tried it before? And if so how did it go? What were the results good or bad? Just curious about it. Many Thx for the answers and infor!!

Krickett

i've never done it. . .
however, i've read elsewhere that it doesn't work--i think it had something to do with the soap melting. . . but the general opinion was: don't do it!

I've recently started putting a fan on in my studio.. I feel like it should help.. I'm also thinking of getting a dehumidifier for the summer, I can get a unit that will dehumidify my studio for under $200. (then when it's really miserable, I can even sleep in the studio!)

If you dehydrate it too fast I think it might crack?? not experienced in this but if you want it to cure fast just do a water discount? then theres less water to evaporate and it cures faster...

OK Thx for all the comments everyone! I may however try to cure one in my dehydrator and see what happens. I have one that you can set the temp on and it goes as low as 95 degrees. I still need to buy the lye and a scale then I will be ready to make my first batch. I have some more melt and pour stuff I am going to try to add a a bit of CO to and see if it will lather better. I have one of those soap making kit things for the M&P and I am going to use it tomorrow. Will let you all know how it turns out with the CO in it. Again many thx for the comments!! You all are just wonderful!

Krickett

Over the past few years I have been around soap forums, this topic has came up many times. The general thinking is that it will not work. There is more heat than the bars can stand, even with the internal fan.
If you want to speed up cure, get a dehumidifier. Use a closet in your home, seal it as best as you can. Place a small dehumidifier in the room with your soaps stored on racks with plenty of spacing. Check water levels if there is not an automatic shut off on the dehumidifier.

I have a dedicated soap room that I do run a dehumidifier in the summer, even though we have central air.

Paul :wink:

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club

I've recently started putting a fan on in my studio.. I feel like it should help.. I'm also thinking of getting a dehumidifier for the summer, I can get a unit that will dehumidify my studio for under $200. (then when it's really miserable, I can even sleep in the studio!)
I tried a fan and dehumidifier- it did not work for me.

Over the past few years I have been around soap forums, this topic has came up many times. The general thinking is that it will not work. There is more heat than the bars can stand, even with the internal fan.
If you want to speed up cure, get a dehumidifier. Use a closet in your home, seal it as best as you can. Place a small dehumidifier in the room with your soaps stored on racks with plenty of spacing. Check water levels if there is not an automatic shut off on the dehumidifier.

I have a dedicated soap room that I do run a dehumidifier in the summer, even though we have central air.

Paul 😉

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club
There is not much heat generated, is there? This would be an interesting experiment for sure.

I second the idea of using a dehumidifier in a small closed area with the soap. We have a finished basement. I have a portable dehumidifier in every room. It is surprising the amount of water collected in the removable tanks at the end of each day.

Latest posts

Back