Curing Racks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any good suggestions for home-made curing racks?

Right now, I'm using my cake racks, but I only have 2 of them and need them for baking.

Would appreciate any cleaver ideas you may have come up with!

Paul - I think this could be a new project for you!!!!!!

I have some ideas on making these. I have had others ask about me making them, too. I use a wire rack that I bought at Sams for curing my soaps. I bought several of them and use some of them as storage racks for my oils, butters, and other supplies. The one I use for my soaps is 18" deep and about 5' long with 6 shelves. This summer, I'm getting a dehumidifier and putting it in my closet with the soaps and seal the closet as well as I can. I've had others tell me that your soap is ready to go at least 1 to 2 weeks faster.

Paul... :wink:

Brian, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get the rain gutter guard plastic netting. Get a few 1" X 2" X 4' and attach the gutter guard to the slats using a staple gun. You can just hand stretch the vinyl gutter guard lengthwise over the wood slats and tack. Make a few of these up and attach simple legs to the corners. Done a inexpensive, light weight soap shelf curing rack! :wink:

Paul

You can also call your local grocery stores and ask if they have any old bread racks they are no longer using. They are plastic and stackable; the perfect size for curing soaps.

I bought this cube shelving at Target for $14.99. It isn't too bad, at least until I can build real shelving!
Jeff
PICT0014.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

Messy :oops:

I use those cheap shelves that EVERY apartment has in the closet... I found a nice long ten foot piece at walmart for like seven dollars. I had my husband cut it in half.
curingracks.jpg

Great pics guys! I see those soaps yelling "I want to meet you in the shower and make you feel good about using real soap!" LOL It's getting late and I took a pain pill about an hour ago. :roll: Looks like everyone drying racks are great ideas. :idea:

Paul

There is an overflow trash site where I live and people throw a lot of building materials out there. One day I picked up a screen window there and am using that to cure soaps.

my.php
[/url][/img]

I use to mold whiteware and I have those kind of vinyl covered shelving racks that Lane has. They are about 7 feet long. I plan to use those and will get some more.

My shelves are covered in paint, that's how I bought them... I have never heard of shelving causing DOS?

There are some coatings that will react to your soaps and bring on those terrible yellow spots. There is no way to tell what things are coated with so you won't know until you try. :(

If you use the bread racks, think of the size of those things & make sure you have room for them. Also, if you make a lot of soap you will not like having to unstack them to get to the bottom rack! Yeah, ask me how I know - you can have mine; they are out in the shed now.
Something else you might think about is the older plastic Coke stacking racks.

You can watch the garden centers in the spring. The wooden racks the plants are shipped in are often discarded. I nabbed several of those, re-enforced them, and still use a couple of them.

Great rack ideas and pics, everyone. I use whatever is handy, and need something that will hold more soap!

Lane, in the bottom left of your pic, what is the black and brown soap?

Birdie said:
Something else you might think about is the older plastic Coke stacking racks.
My aunt had two of these and I LOVE them...They work really well as "bins" to divide up you supplies and what not, I only have two so never used them as curing racks.. Does ANYONE know where I can get more???

Chalk Creek said:
Lane, in the bottom left of your pic, what is the black and brown soap?
It is Sandalwood Vanilla CP. :D
SandalwoodVanillaBeveled.jpg

perfectsoap said:
Nice looking Soap Lane and FSowers!
A great inspiration for me!
Thanks,
Jeff
Thank you very much!

Here is an easy way to make your own... not my design and not sure where this came from, but this is what I use.

MATERIALS LIST
2 – 1”x2”x12” pine boards
2 – 1”x2”x24” pine boards
1 – 12”x24” aluminum window screen
1½ “ drywall screws
¼” staples

EQUIPMENT LIST
Drill fitted with a bit slightly smaller than screws
Screwdriver
Tape Measure
Staple Gun
Scissors

Place one of the 12” pine boards on top of the wire and align the corner with the 24” board. While holding the 12” board securely against the 24” board drill a pilot hole for the screw. This is important to do because if you just put the screw in without drilling the pilot hole you will split the wood.

Screw a drywall screw into the pilot hole.

Apply the other 12” board to the opposite end in the same manner.

Turn the frame over and square the corner by eyeballing it. Staple the wire to the 12” board on one side only.

Turn the frame over and slip the remaining 24” board underneath the frame and underneath the wire.

Using the same technique as above drill a pilot hole and insert a screw ON THE SIDE where the wire is stapled to the 12” board.

Pull the wire diagonally to make sure it is taut and drill a pilot hole on the other side of the frame. Insert the final screw.

Pull the wire taut and staple the wire to the other 24” board.

Turn the frame over and pull the wire taut while stapling the wire down to the other 12” board.

If necessary trim off any excess wire hanging over the edges.

Soaps are placed flat on the rack to dry, thus allowing the racks to stack on one another.

NameThatCandy said:
Love the pics. But someone told me that if I cure the soaps at metal rack that my soaps will get DOS, is it true? I was thinking to get something like yours, but I was worried about DOS.

So end up I bought this:

http://www.instawares.com/camrack-flatw ... 4-FR258L40

I am going to ask grecory about the bread rack.

I am pretty sure those racks in the photos are vinyl covered... so your soap would be ok. I just would not use hardware wire...

Rachelle, I would use something other than aluminum window screen as this will react to a fresh cut soap. You can use the vinyl mesh window screening instead. I like using, as I mentioned earlier, using the vinyl screening called gutter guard. It is strong and easy to stretch over the 1 x 2" framework I mentioned. Soap + aluminum = trouble. The lye hates aluminum. Other than that....cool! 8)

Paul

Wow! I'm getting this feeling again , It starts in my hands and moves up my arms around the neck up the spine to the head... Its called inspiration, desire, the need to create soap..

What great pictures.. Thanks for the inspiration I really needed it.

Back