Curing rack ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math ace

Reaction score
I've been wondering if there was a better way to cure soaps than my current set-up.

I like to make a couple of pounds of soap in a batch and a couple of batches a month. I want a better way to let this small amount of soap cure. Usually, my soaps are curing for 6 weeks.

I was thinking that some old vhs or CD storage towers could be repurposed for this.

Currently, I'm using cutting boards that sit ontop of my book case

Would anyone be willing to post pics of your soap curing set up? I'm especially interested in the small set-ups. I would appreciate pics of large set-ups too.

I use metal shelving lined with needlepoint plastic I purchased 5 shelves and used just the shelves from one of them to make my curing rack have 8 shelves. Any shelving would work. I've seen people use shoe racks or build fancy curing cabinets. The other shelving units hold my supplies and mold etc... I've posted a photo previously of my curing rack in the link below.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-curing-rack.58302/

If you do a search you will find other posts that have ideas too.

I used to use a wooden dish rack.
ezgif-6-775b81cac413.jpg

I have a major issue with pet hair, so none of the above solutions would work for me. I like to go to Costco and get a bunch of the same produce flats, so they fit together. Then you can stack your soap and the flat above provides at least a partial barrier to dust, etc. Plus if they get dirty/oily, just toss 'em.

I do the same as @shunt2011 (in fact, for a moment I thought it was a picture of my rack, but then I realized her soaps are much prettier than mine lol). I also combined two racks into one to create more shelf space without taking up more floor space. I found them on sale last summer, so I picked up 3 racks (one to add to the rack I already owned and two to replace my ramshackle storage cabinets). It wound up being cheaper to buy a second rack to combine than buying the racks individually, which you can do. You can also buy nice caster wheels to put on the racks - which hubby bought me as a just-because gift when they went on sale, but we haven't put them on yet.

When I first started, I used a couple of old cookie sheets lined with freezer paper and put them on a shelf in the garage. As I started making more soap, more cookie sheets on the washer and dryer. Then came a very nice shelving unit in the garage for curing soap and extra supples.

I use a small plastic shelf from Ikea. It was intended for bathroom storage but it's made of PP plastic (lye-safe), light-weighted but sturdy.
u=2079002792,2807522470&fm=26&gp=0.jpg

↑Something like this
My fresh soaps go on top where it gets plenty of space to cure. When it hits the 6 weeks mark it goes down for a tighter storage. When it's over 3 months I put the in paper shoeboxes and just stack them. I've getting a big coated metal shelf now that I have other crafts that need space as well, but this tiny shelf has surprising big storage room for soaps.

Good looking set-up shunt 2011.

I've got a large shelving System like yours that I'm using for my supplies. However, I don't think I make enough soap to justify another large shelving System.

Somebody recently reactivated an old thread that had a smaller set up that got new thinking that there should be alternatives for small quantity soapers.

I'm thinking you've got more soap on your shelves than I'll make this whole year lol... That's a lot of soap girlfriend! I betcha your house smells delicious!

I used to use a wooden dish rack.
ezgif-6-775b81cac413.jpg

I like this idea... Is this an Amazon item?

I use a tall bookcase and put needlepoint plastic on the shelves.

I'm seeing curio cabinets on Facebook market place that might be better for me because they tend to be smaller than a bookcase.

Plus, they usually have glass doors. Some people have mentioned animal hair issues... I have a couple of cats. I wondered if a curio cabinet would allow enough air flow during the curing period.

I have a covered shoe rack that I put an air filter in. I have a zoo and I don't want pet hair or feathers in my soap so the covered shoe rack with the air purifier fan works great.

Do you have a pic of your set up? I don't think I understand how the air filter is working.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make small batches of soap (usually 20-28oz oils) and a few years ago got a 3-tier baker's cooling rack that I line with parchment paper (looks just like THIS one) . It can fit about 4-6 batches, and I like it because it gives vertical storage on the countertop. I've also seen some 3-tier stackable shoe racks that might also work well.

My husband made this for me and it works very well! Around $30 in materials. The drawers slide in and out.
Your husband is a keeper! I have a produce drying rack that looks similar, but possibly bigger. It holds a lot of soap in a small footprint. I love it.

I like this idea... Is this an Amazon item?
I had one of those racks at one point. I may have gotten it at Walmart, or possibly TJMaxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a major issue with pet hair, so none of the above solutions would work for me. I like to go to Costco and get a bunch of the same produce flats, so they fit together. Then you can stack your soap and the flat above provides at least a partial barrier to dust, etc. Plus if they get dirty/oily, just toss 'em.
I cover my soap with netting. It keeps the dust and kitty hairs off!

Back