Curing question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen74

Reaction score
I was wondering, do you cover your soaps when curing them? If so, what exactly do you use? I am trying to protect mine from dust but want them to get air at the same time. Just wondering what you all do?

I use a soft netting that I got from a fabric shop and put that over my rack. Not Kiwi, but I don't use a fan, electricity is too expensive now.

I use a soft netting that I got from a fabric shop and put that over my rack. Not Kiwi, but I don't use a fan, electricity is too expensive now.
Oh okay. I might try that. I will have to check the Joanne Fabrics over here. Is the netting made out of cloth? Does it let them also breathe well?

The netting is nylon and let's the air through. Not sure if you can get it there but bridal tulle would be good, it's a lot softer and drapes well, but can cost more.

I cure my soaps wit them standing on one of the edges and I would just lay the towel over them. I’m not sure, but if you are asking if I would cover the whole shelf (as in a shelving unit with multiple shelves), I would want to be sure that whatever I used allowed for adequate air flow.

I have an old pillowcase that I cut open into a sheet big enough to cover my little soap storage area. The only place I have for curing is in the laundry room. This keeps the lint off.
do you cover the shelf they are on or do you cover the soaps completely?

I put a wire rack over the bars (it doesn’t touch the bars) and drape a kitchen towel over the rack. It allows for air flow and keeps the dust off.
Okay. So only the tops of your soaps are covered, not the sides right( meaning you just have like a canopy over the top)?

I'm still having trouble understanding exactly what you are asking. What kind of shelf do you have for curing? Is it a bookcase type of shelf unit, or is it more like a shelf in a closet? What is the shelf made of - wood, metal, solid or rack-like? Are you asking if a piece of fabric is draped over a whole large bookcase type of structure to enclose it (like a tent)? If the shelf should be lined with something under the soaps?

Cheese cloth is another option that would work.

I'm still having trouble understanding exactly what you are asking. What kind of shelf do you have for curing? Is it a bookcase type of shelf unit, or is it more like a shelf in a closet? What is the shelf made of - wood, metal, solid or rack-like? Are you asking if a piece of fabric is draped over a whole large bookcase type of structure to enclose it (like a tent)? If the shelf should be lined with something under the soaps?

Cheese cloth is another option that would work.
I use these plastic shelves. I will try and attach a picture. I have a cloth draped over the top to keep dust from falling on top of them. I'm having issues with my soaps going rancid and just trying to rule everything out and take extra precautions. I was just wondering if it's better to cover them completely, but then I know they say air flow is important while they are curling. I have a dehumidifier running to control humidity and I have a fan blowing on them from across the room. Maybe the fan blowing on them is not good? I just thought air circulation was supposed to be good. The room is dark too so no sunlight on them either. I attached a picture in the post below.

Last edited:
Here is the picture . I couldn't post it in my above reply for some reason so I did it separately.

Attachments

• IMG_20221210_110531143.jpg
    IMG_20221210_110531143.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Ahh, I see. I don't think you need to have anything under your soaps since the shelf is plastic. If you do put paper or something down and since you are troubleshooting the rancidity problem you are having, I would make sure you change the paper before a new batch is set on the shelf. I don't find it necessary to put anything over my soaps because I have a dedicated soaping space and not a lot of dust happens in that room. The space is in the basement and almost all hard surfaces (no carpet, furniture, pets etc.) Since my shelves are coated metal, I put a piece of embroidery plastic canvas under the soaps and I don't need to turn them as air can reach all sides. I sometimes place the paper with my recipe printed out over my cut bars while they are curing to keep track of how long they have been on the shelf. After about 2-3 weeks I will plane and bevel. After 4-8 weeks I will move them into a cardboard box for longer term storage.

Ahh, I see. I don't think you need to have anything under your soaps since the shelf is plastic. If you do put paper or something down and since you are troubleshooting the rancidity problem you are having, I would make sure you change the paper before a new batch is set on the shelf. I don't find it necessary to put anything over my soaps because I have a dedicated soaping space and not a lot of dust happens in that room. The space is in the basement and almost all hard surfaces (no carpet, furniture, pets etc.) Since my shelves are coated metal, I put a piece of embroidery plastic canvas under the soaps and I don't need to turn them as air can reach all sides. I sometimes place the paper with my recipe printed out over my cut bars while they are curing to keep track of how long they have been on the shelf. After about 2-3 weeks I will plane and bevel. After 4-8 weeks I will move them into a cardboard box for longer term storage.
Okay. Thank you for sharing this. I'm so frustrated with it. I guess I will keep trying things until I find a solution 😊

Back