Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

*Finally* I have achieve a cream-colored goat milk soap. Didn't burn the lactose at all, for now at least. It only took me 2 hours to accomplish :rolleyes: but I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

I mixed they lye and milk in an ice batch this time. Mixed 71* lye with 80* oils and brought to thick trace. Poured in mold. 2 hrs later I went in to check it and my silicone-lined, wood mold was warm to the touch! I checked it with my laser thermometer and the temp was 88*! I rushed it into the cold garage where it stayed, solidifying, over night.

I don't plan to cut into it until tomorrow but I was wondering if I can cure my soap in the fridge. Pros? Cons? I want it to stay cool so it doesn't heat up and burn again. I need this soap to stay light! How can I prevent the darkening?

Thank you

Be careful in taking it out of the cold too soon. It could still do a partial gel. I now put my milk or cream soaps in the freezer and leave them there for at least three days.

Hello!

*Finally* I have achieve a cream-colored goat milk soap. Didn't burn the lactose at all, for now at least. It only took me 2 hours to accomplish :rolleyes: but I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

I mixed they lye and milk in an ice batch this time. Mixed 71* lye with 80* oils and brought to thick trace. Poured in mold. 2 hrs later I went in to check it and my silicone-lined, wood mold was warm to the touch! I checked it with my laser thermometer and the temp was 88*! I rushed it into the cold garage where it stayed, solidifying, over night.

I don't plan to cut into it until tomorrow but I was wondering if I can cure my soap in the fridge. Pros? Cons? I want it to stay cool so it doesn't heat up and burn again. I need this soap to stay light! How can I prevent the darkening?

Thank you

You can use the split method and goats milk won't discolour the soap batter.

Thanks for the replies and freezer tip. I definitely unmolded mine too soon and proceeded to cut it. The slices don't look that great but I think it will pass as some kinda "rustic" look. I'll most likely end up giving it away to friends and family anyway.
It is day 2 for my soap and it has the consistency of fudge. How long do you think it needs to cure? I will do the zap test in a few weeks but I'd like to have some insight

Also, I need a wire cutter and some new molds. Most of my molds are a little too wide for my liking. Any tips as to where I can get a wire soap cutter? Sorta on a budget...

Thanks for the replies and freezer tip. I definitely unmolded mine too soon and proceeded to cut it. The slices don't look that great but I think it will pass as some kinda "rustic" look. I'll most likely end up giving it away to friends and family anyway.
It is day 2 for my soap and it has the consistency of fudge. How long do you think it needs to cure? I will do the zap test in a few weeks but I'd like to have some insight

Also, I need a wire cutter and some new molds. Most of my molds are a little too wide for my liking. Any tips as to where I can get a wire soap cutter? Sorta on a budget...

I bought Bud Cutter via eBay. I'm very happy with how well constructed it is and it works very well. There are others available from a variety of different suppliers.

Back