Curing custom order

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a request for a small custom loaf. The customer had done her homework so she knew just what she wanted and is aware of the curing process. I'm wondering, do I keep the soap until it's done curing, or should I give it to her now and it can finish the cure with her (providing I give her a few tips)?

Myself, personally I would keep it until it's cured. That way you KNOW it's cured before it gets used, regardless of what they say. That's just me though...
That's kind of what I was thinking. I know she's aware of the process, but I feel like temptation might win and I wouldn't want her to assume handmade soap or my soap is not worth it due to not being properly cured. Thank you for your input.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I know she's aware of the process, but I feel like temptation might win and I wouldn't want her to assume handmade soap or my soap is not worth it due to not being properly cured. Thank you for your input.
I have done both. I didn't think of the possibility that they wouldn't wait! I offer a "you cut & cure" option. So I make the soap and when it can be handled properly they take it home and cut and cure themselves. A small reduction of price and they take care of it themselves. And they do take care of it and handle it like a newborn! It's all new to them.

I cut, cure and bevel the soaps. I do give a slight discount if they do not need each wrapped and labeled. I just wrap and label one. With a multi cutter it takes a minute to cut a loaf so no big deal.
That's right about the multi-cutter. It's not for my benefit but to give them a little hands on experience with soap.

I’ve done it both ways. I have two customers who order whole loafs regularly and I mist make it, cut it and bevel it. Then deliver them. They know to cure them to have the best soap. They generally buy others to hold them over through cure. Someone new I make wait for cure.

I think I'm going to cure here. I get the feeling this customer does what she wants and will disregard any advice of the opposite. She has already told me I can lower ph with lemon and she wanted coffee soap with tons of coffee grounds because it will tighten her skin, and turmeric for several benefits (some of which I had never even heard of). I tried to explain that soap is a wash off product and I didn't want her to expect miracles out of this bar of soap. Oh, and she told me soap is cured and ready in 4 weeks. I told her I could not lower the ph, that they would need at least 6 weeks to cure (I prefer 8 myself), and if she told me what additives she wanted, I would make her soap.

I have a request for a small custom loaf. The customer had done her homework so she knew just what she wanted and is aware of the curing process. I'm wondering, do I keep the soap until it's done curing, or should I give it to her now and it can finish the cure with her (providing I give her a few tips)?

I’ve only released early to a few people that I knew I could trust to see it through to six weeks.

I would hold for 4 weeks, then they can hold for the last few weeks. This way it is mainly cured enough that I would be ok if they only waited another week.

to be honest I do not do wholesale but are you labeling it too? That may make a difference depending on what you are using for a label/package

I would hold for 4 weeks, then they can hold for the last few weeks. This way it is mainly cured enough that I would be ok if they only waited another week.

to be honest I do not do wholesale but are you labeling it too? That may make a difference depending on what you are using for a label/package
That sounds like a plan. No, I am not labeling it. I was just going to include 1 ingredient card and maybe a "caring for your handmade soap" card. It's not necessarily wholesale. I have a mold that I can divide in sections, so I'm making her a mini loaf with 5 or 6 full size bars, (not sure if I should cut the ends or include them in a bar). I like your idea though. I'll most likely give her a call at 4-5 weeks and let her know she can have it then but to give it a couple more weeks to be at it's best. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

In a local store, they brought in a cp soap vendor. As part of her display, she has a "not ready for use until ____________" on each batch of soap.

I wonder how many customers actually follow the instructed wait period.

In a local store, they brought in a cp soap vendor. As part of her display, she has a "not ready for use until ____________" on each batch of soap.
I wonder how many customers actually follow the instructed wait period.

And this is exactly one of the reasons Good Soapers get a bad rap. It is people like that that don't care, make bad product and ruin it for the rest

Back