Curing and plastic wrap and Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can soaps continue to cure once plastic wrapped, if all the water has evaporated out of them? Maybe after 4 weeks?
And, does cutting soaps on the early side, when they’re kind of soft, create the possibility for more ash?
TIA!

First off, all the water has NOT evaporated off at 4 weeks, not even at one year, in my experience. They continue to cure whether wrapped or not wrapped. They also continue to shrink in size while shrink wrapped. Even shrink wrap is somewhat permeable. I suppose it depends on which shrink wrap you use, but the odor permeable shrink wrap I use, does allow for air exchange, which of course means that it is also permeable to evaporating water. After all it all comes down to the molecular permeability. The molecules do pass through. The soap shrinks; the wrap gets loose.

Water evaporation does not equal cure, but I think you know that. Evaporation can be slowed down by some factors, of course, but I don't wrap my soaps as early as 4 weeks. I tend to wait a couple of months at least, often longer.

Some stores prefer it for easy handling and shelving. Some are exact opposite and do not want to see plastic on anything, I prefer the all natural and a band. I wish there were more biodegradable transport options

I’ve started using small cellophane bags. They allow people to see the pretty designs, they protect the soap, and they break down eventually. I use a hole punch in two corners so people can smell the soap. If it’s not an “artsy” soap I use tissue paper. Both are closed with my sticker labels.

Latest posts

Back