Cure time for soy melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenNY2OH

Reaction score
Is cure time really necessary? I've read soy needs two weeks and I'm impatient. I have three test scents I poured yesterday and the day before and they're not as strong as I'd like them to be and the hot throw is meh. I'm not sure if I should just toss what I've made and make new w/more scent per pound or just wait. Also, can I just remelt what I have, add more scent and repour them?

I use a combination of soy wax, palm wax and beeswax. I have never worried about a cure time.:)

To be at their optimal for both cold and hot throw, you should cure soy for a minimum of 7 days.
I cure my palm candles/melts for a minimum of 5 days and my paraffin candles/melts a minimum of 3 days.

They are just better, and give a truer scent throw after the minimum cure time.

I use a combination of soy wax, palm wax and beeswax. I have never worried about a cure time.:)
I was told by my supplier as soon as they are completely cool close the clam shell, label and sell. He is also a manufacturer of all things candle

As in soap, a little cure time will make all the difference in the way a candle/melt will throw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume the wax would make a difference, but by the time I get them to market they have cured some. I do not pour them the night before
The type of wax does make a difference and how it hardens and crystallizes as it ages. In side/side scent test in cured vs. fresh melts with everything except the time of cure being exactly the same, the melts with 5+ days extra cure time gave a much better scent throw, both hot and cold.

I am the same as with you, by the time I make to the time I sell, they will usually have a pretty good cure going on.

To be at their optimal for both cold and hot throw, you should cure soy for a minimum of 7 days.
I cure my palm candles/melts for a minimum of 5 days and my paraffin candles/melts a minimum of 3 days.

They are just better, and give a truer scent throw after the minimum cure time.

As in soap, a little cure time will make all the difference in the way a candle/melt will throw.

What does cure mean when talking about a product such as this? Sitting open in a room exposed to air (the side that isn't touching the container obviously). Or in it's packaging? This really interests me, as I'm thinking about experimenting with candles and melts.

What does cure mean when talking about a product such as this? Sitting open in a room exposed to air (the side that isn't touching the container obviously). Or in it's packaging? This really interests me, as I'm thinking about experimenting with candles and melts.
for my containter candles as soon as they are cool, I put the lid on and set them aside until I'm ready to either burn them, or label and sell them. For my melts, I put like scents together in a bowl/basket for the cure time, then after the cure (5 days or so) I shrink them until I'm ready to label and sell. At that time, if they need to be rewrapped then I will wrap them at time.

Back