Curdled now foamy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmaidhoff

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m brand new to soap making; well for about eight months now. I don’t know what is going on but my last two batches of lavender soap I’ve absolutely flopped! The first one is unsavable so we won’t even talk about that, I already threw it away after trying to rewatching it and it flopped again.

This last batch I decided to make less than 60 bars at a time I use to 3 pound molds. Everything was coming to trace perfectly. I had mixed my Kaolin Clay And with my lavender essential oil. Just like everything had suggested I do because Kaolin Clay is known for holding onto sent. At any rate it was a beautiful thin milky trace I add the Kaolin Clay with the lavender essential oil and boom suddenly everything went crazy. My batter had suddenly become super thick, and then looked curdled. I attempted to mix and mix and mix with the stick blender And all I did was thicken but still look chunky. So then I rushed to get it into the molds and tap tap tap tap the down. Still it was chunky. So I smooshed it as best as I could.

Next I opted to HP it in the oven at 160 degrees for the next 45-60 min. It’s like a soft foam. Is this going to set and harden or is it another flop? I can’t afford to keep Tossing soap. This is a high demand soap for me and I have people waiting to purchase. I want to cry.

I would be willing to bet that your EO or your kaolin clay is adulterated. What brand of EO did you use, and what was the source of the clay?

Back