Crystals on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracyhaines

Reaction score
Hi, please advise : I have made several batches of soap without problems. However, I recently made a batch using frozen 1/2 and 1/2. I'm sure I measured everything correctly, so perhaps the lye did not fully dissolve. There are only very tiny crystals sticking out of the top, some slightly vertically- oriented like tiny needles. ( I brushed these off of some of the cut bars and the soap looked normal. There is not heavy crusting anywhere on the soap. It seems it would be fine to just scrape off the top 1/4 inch and then use the soap after it cures..... I don't see any lye pools in the soap; the rest of the soap body seems smooth and normal. Does this seem reasonable? This soap is for my own use- I wouldn't dare try giving this to anyone.
Thank you! - tracy

Do a search on "soda ash" in this forum and see if that looks like your crystals. If it is soda ash, its just cosmetic and you can steam it off, or wash it off using an old nylon to scrub it a bit.

Crystals

It's very odd; it looks nothing like soda ash. It looks like tiny little prickles that you would see on a cactus plant, vertically oriented and shiny- lye or salt -like in appearance. I did finally get the nerve to touch my tongue to this soap. No zing at all!!! Bigger, braver lick: no zing!!! I really don't know what in the world this could be but it seems perfectly safe. Strangely enough the soap didn't taste too bad either, lol. Well thank you for responses, I look forward to checking in on the forum often!

Yes, it's ash. The furry crystals are less common, but it does happen.

Back