Crystalline Structure in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday my granddaughter sliced off a piece of well aged soap to put under her 20X-40X Dissecting Stereo Microscope. Wow, you could really see the crystalline structure. Now I wish I had a new soap to compare the two.

She loves her microscopes and uses them almost daily. The kid is 12 and has been using microscopes since she was 5. She has always had Compound Microscopes and now has the Dissecting Stereo to her collection with a new 5mp camera. New Christmas I will probably upgrade her camera.

I asked her to get a picture when she has time so maybe I can post it, but she has not hooked up the camera to her new computer. Maybe one of these days, I will keep nagging.

I am going to work on her to get a pic. If you happen to have a new soap can I talk you into sending her a small piece? It would be interesting to compare. It will be a long time before I get any more soap made. When I finally get to Winnemucca I might get some made, but all my soaps are at least a year old now.

I actually am just about to put down the computer and go make some soap, and I'd be happy to send her a piece if you want to PM me her address.

As an aside, I wish we had been able to send our chickens to her good care. The new owners of the White Rocks told me today that their dogs killed "one and a half of them." 😢 Apparently the half-dead one was up and about today and starting to eat again, so perhaps she will make it. Not sure why they thought it was ok to turn out the dogs with the chickens.

That makes me very sad, she would have taken very good care of them.

Actually, she ended up getting 2 Partridge BantamsCochins 1 Golden Lace and last week traded one of her Jersey Roosters for 2 Buff Brahma Bantams. She spent all her money and we chipped in to help have two large enclosed coops built. She still needs another large coop built. She loves her chickens. She thinks one of the Brahma Bantams is a rooster.

@gladysjones my granddaughter's chickens are all very spoiled. All 30 of them including the roosters.
These are just Chicks. The first pics are the Buff Bantams about 2.5 -3 weeks old. The weather is going to get better next week so the chicks are being moved to the enclosed coop next week and out of the crate in the bathroom.

Buff Bantams.jpg chicks.jpg

Last edited:
Our roosters would attack us. I did not like that at all. But are they in an enclosed area then? Only way I can think of to keep them safe. Otherwise nature would seem to take over. Ours ran free. And we're put up at night. But had to dodge the attackers. my dog was good with them though. He would just eat the 🥚s

Our roosters would attack us. I did not like that at all. But are they in an enclosed area then? Only way I can think of to keep them safe. Otherwise nature would seem to take over. Ours ran free. And we're put up at night. But had to dodge the attackers. my dog was good with them though. He would just eat the 🥚s
My granddaughter can also handle her 20 lb Jersey Roosters. She also has a darling Polish Rooster that I call Hippie Bird that is an ornery little cuss but she takes no guff from him or any of her girls or boys. She is a tough kid. She also has a 20 lb male Bengal cat that is all boy and she takes no cr**p from him. She has several coops some are wire enclosed coops, two new enclosed buildings all chickens and roosters are in enclosed areas at night. Fortunately, the Bengal is afraid of the chickens, they took care of him when he was a kitten. 🤪 They have problems with badgers and coyotes so they have to be in, not free-range. Autumn is 12 and wants to be a Vet, of which she will be an amazing one.

Sounds like she's got a great start!
Edit: awh, I didn't see the pictures last night, so cute.🥰They're at that teenager stage. With fluff and feathers. !

Yesterday my granddaughter sliced off a piece of well aged soap to put under her 20X-40X Dissecting Stereo Microscope. Wow, you could really see the crystalline structure. Now I wish I had a new soap to compare the two.

She loves her microscopes and uses them almost daily. The kid is 12 and has been using microscopes since she was 5. She has always had Compound Microscopes and now has the Dissecting Stereo to her collection with a new 5mp camera. New Christmas I will probably upgrade her camera.

I asked her to get a picture when she has time so maybe I can post it, but she has not hooked up the camera to her new computer. Maybe one of these days, I will keep nagging.
A budding scientist! Love it!

Wonderful! I'd love to see the photos when you're able to share them.

Alioop is going to send her a piece of a new soap so I am going to get on her to get the camera hooked up to her computer. She is back in school so does not have much time when she gets home after taking care of all her chickies. Her computer went out which had the software for her microscopes and I sent her my laptop, with computers, not being her strong suit she has not reinstalled everything. I should have purchased the phone camera system for her, phones she is good with. :dance:

My granddaughter can also handle her 20 lb Jersey Roosters. She also has a darling Polish Rooster that I call Hippie Bird that is an ornery little cuss but she takes no guff from him or any of her girls or boys. She is a tough kid. She also has a 20 lb male Bengal cat that is all boy and she takes no cr**p from him. She has several coops some are wire enclosed coops, two new enclosed buildings all chickens and roosters are in enclosed areas at night. Fortunately, the Bengal is afraid of the chickens, they took care of him when he was a kitten. 🤪 They have problems with badgers and coyotes so they have to be in, not free-range. Autumn is 12 and wants to be a Vet, of which she will be an amazing one.
Hi @cmzaha! I don’t know if you or your family have heard of Maremmas , but there was a movie based on Oddball the maremma who watched over penguins. Your granddaughter might be interested in looking up the real story about him and the chicken farmer who owned him. He’s even interviewed on you tube. ( the movie isn’t quite accurate) It was on middle island in Australia. We have two Maremmas for our herd and the breeder sells them all over the country. She’s a sweetheart. Hers guard her chickens and their horses in coyote country.

https://thebark.com/content/maremma-sheepdogs-keep-watch-over-little-penguins

@cmzaha ... also.. we used to lock our goats up every night because of coyotes. We live next to a national forest and can hear the coyotes every night. Sometimes see them during the day. We have ferrel peacocks in our neighborhood and three adopted us. Before we got the maremmas , the coyotes got them. We wanted more goats, but didn’t want to lock them up and we were so bummed about the peacocks. I started researching livestock guardian dogs and have never regretted it. Cora is now 2 1/2 and Beatrix is 2. They do a great job!

When visiting my daughter and grandkids recently, we took a trip to a mini-farm owned by her bookkeeper. They had new baby goats and chicks that were adorable.

Living at the foot of the Sierra Nevadas, with apple trees and a creek running through the back of their property, they get coyotes, mountain lions, and bears. After losing half their chicken flock to predators the first year, they got two livestock guardian dogs. Both are Maremma mixes: one with border collie, and I can’t remember the other.

Anyway, they haven’t lost an animal since, and they also got to keep more of their apple crop, too. Good doggies to have around! They apparently aren’t going to be your kids’ play-pals; they are respectful to humans but mostly want to do their job and look for direction from their boss human.

When visiting my daughter and grandkids recently, we took a trip to a mini-farm owned by her bookkeeper. They had new baby goats and chicks that were adorable.

Living at the foot of the Sierra Nevadas, with apple trees and a creek running through the back of their property, they get coyotes, mountain lions, and bears. After losing half their chicken flock to predators the first year, they got two livestock guardian dogs. Both are Maremma mixes: one with border collie, and I can’t remember the other.

Anyway, they haven’t lost an animal since, and they also got to keep more of their apple crop, too. Good doggies to have around! They apparently aren’t going to be your kids’ play-pals; they are respectful to humans but mostly want to do their job and look for direction from their boss human.
That’s cool! Yes they are independent thinkers. Ours are sweethearts with us, but we don’t tell them how to do their jobs 😂

Latest posts

Back