Crumpets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I'm in the US and I have heard of crumpets but never had one. Found them at Trader Joe's and OMG. How do we NOT have these? Why oh why do we have English muffins in dozens of varieties - white flour, whole grain, gluten free, sprouted grain, flavored - but yet no crumpets!!! And now having tasted the awesomeness of the crumpet, I am sad B/C I doubt Trader Joe's will have them forever. And then what????

Will some UK soapers mail me crumpets?

I am in the UK and yes it is strange that in the US you dont have crumpets, they are wonderful, a very nice Sunday afternoon tea treat served hot with butter melting through the holes and then some home made jam spread over the top, the nice thing about them is they are not sickly as they are not sweetened in themselves. Yes you can make them at home but they can be tricky to get perfect, but worth the effort. There must be a budding crumpet maker out there just waiting to burst into business, what an opportunity!!!!!

Never had crumpets? Oh wow!

I'm "thirding" Misschief - they are easy to make (you can freeze them too, if you make a big batch)

They are just about the best thing ever, toasted with some butter and honey enough to drip out the bottom (so you have to mop it up with the last bit of crumpet crust ... ;) )

I wouldn't bother making them here when you can get them at Aldi for 99 cents and yes SF lots of butter, but with vegemite. :dance:

What on earth is a crumpet?

Oh man... I spend more time googling food these days than soap. The daughter and I have been watching the Great British Baking Show. We spend more time pausing and googling to find out why their 'biscuits' do not look like our biscuits (for example... there's a LOT of stuff we have had to google). One of my engineers in Germany is from London (he refers to himself as a Scottish Londoner, whatever that means) and we have had very intense discussions regarding frosted buns. Also about meat pies. And if 'chuffed' is a good thing or not.

Crumpets are great. I am totally in love. The best way to describe them is a cross between a pancake and an English muffin. They taste like an English muffin, but have a texture that is more like a pancake. They have all of these holes that just soak up butter and jam. For Mother's day I'm going to make Eggs Benedict on crumpets.

Sadly they will probably not be at TD's forever. *wibble*

And my local Aldi's doesn't seem to carry them.

I think "chuffed" is a good thing? Like being pleased with something?

Oh my! Those sound wonderful! I wish I had time this weekend for a go at making them. Eggs benedict is lovely too, I haven't made it for years.

Yes, it's a good thing, although my first exposure to the word led me to believe that I had done something terribly wrong and Nick was about to wring my neck through the phone.

Yes absolutely right that chuffed means really pleased, it can sometimes be chuffed to bits when you are really really pleased. We have so many different sayings from one another. For me I always find it so strange to have a ' bunch " of something, we in the UK tend to only have a bunch of flowers although many US sayings are creeping in now because I imagine social media, is that the same the other way around in the US ?

But back to crumpets I think the description it quite close although being a purist I think crumpets have their own particular flavour and texture and they are dreamy!

I'm not that enthusiastic about crumpets. I've had them and they are not my thing. I think I will always be a biscuit gal. I just wish I grew up making them like my mom did. Biscuits and jam would be a thing every Sunday.

Or for breakfast - with blue cheese, or a thick layer of cream cheese.

Funnily enough, I did once pack a box of crumpets for an American visitor. He loved them too, and wanted his family to try them. I don't know if they made it into the country, some foods get confiscated at customs.

What`s wrong with me.. I keep reading this title as Trumpets! o_O:rolleyes:

I can't make pancakes. They are always burned on the outside and raw in the middle.

Medium heat is the key, but if it makes you feel any better I always throw away the first one*, it always seems to be a bit strange and I have been making them for 30 years:)

PS.
I should clarify, really.... By `throwing away` I of course mean eat. As in chomping down bits and pieces of it whilst waiting for the entire batch of pancakes to be ready.

*hides in shame*:oops:

Latest posts

Back